Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The 150 grain projectile at 850 ft per second has more perceived recoil than the 135 grain +GD Even though it is not rated +p by BB.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The BB load is 15 grains heavier than the GD load, so that would affect felt recoil.
    That said, having fired both loads side-by-side in the same guns, at most I'd say they're equivalent in felt recoil, with the BB load being less "blasty" in comparison.

Chris

Mea Culpa. At the range today, I fired both loads side-by-side. Even though last time they felt similar, this time around it wasn't even close. The BB load battered the first joint of my thumb whereas the Speer GD load was almost pleasant to shoot in comparison. I don't know how I managed to form the opinion they were similar recoil-wise because that was NOT the case today. I was shooting both loads in the same gun on both occasions. Though the first time I also included an airweight j-frame.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I'm going to try and get out to the range this weekend while visiting my in-laws. I have an LCR, Buffalo Bore Wadcutters, Speer 135gr GDs, and Doubletap Target Wadcutters that I just found tonight at Sportsmans Warehouse. They were $28/50, so much cheaper than the BB load, but about the same as the Fed GM wadcutters.

We'll see what shoots best and to POA in the LCR.

Chris
    To be honest, the GD load shot best. Recoil was between the BB load and the Doubletap Target Wadcutters. Accuracy-wise, the DT and GD loads were neck-in-neck. The DT load was filthy though. Granted, I shot more of those than the GD and BB loads combined, but the gun was a mess afterward.

So, for my use, I'll probably stick with the GD load for "in town social" purposes. I might give the BB 150gr Wadcutters another try if/when I get a 3" LCRx. If they shoot better and the larger grip makes them more comfortable to shoot, they might be a better choice for a trail gun.
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 11-30-2019 at 03:33 PM.

642 fodder

I think I'm down to my last few rat-holed Federal Nyclad 125 "Chief's Special" 125 grain loads from the 1990's. I just like them because they are decent to shoot and the hollow point is huge and maybe might expand. Gold Dot short barrel loads are replacing them and I use some generic 148 wadcutters for practice. POI hasn't been a problem at the short ranges I've used them for.

Ed Harris 38 Spl. articles are below. Ed is a rather prolific writer who has worked on the NRA technical departments, Sturm, Ruger & co, and as an independent consultant.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...adcutterQA.htm

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...FBI%20Load.htm

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...s%20Button.htm

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...e38special.htm

Mea Culpa. At the range today, I fired both loads side-by-side. Even though last time they felt similar, this time around it wasn't even close. The BB load battered the first joint of my thumb whereas the Speer GD load was almost pleasant to shoot in comparison. I don't know how I managed to form the opinion they were similar recoil-wise because that was NOT the case today. I was shooting both loads in the same gun on both occasions. Though the first time I also included an airweight j-frame.

Chris
    Man, I just gave these two rounds a side-by-side go in my LCR a couple of weeks ago. Now I have to go do it again. Thanks a lot.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Man, I just gave these two rounds a side-by-side go in my LCR a couple of weeks ago. Now I have to go do it again. Thanks a lot.
    You're welcome.

For in-town-social-work, the BB load may be too much of a good thing considering how much target wadcutters penetrate. I may keep some on hand, but for trail duty only. The GD and target loads will suffice for social work.

I've got 60 rounds of the GD load left. I need to find an alternative that is readily available, but effective.

Chris

I have a very old set of Lyman .38/.357 dies I use and they work well to seat and crimp both .38 spl and .357 mags.

A couple of years ago I loaded some Rainier 148 gr plated wadcutters for my 686 with a 4 inch barrel. My load data is below. They were accurate rounds, a couple on inches at 15 yards (my shooting is the issue). I tired to keep them around 1000 fps, but think they would be overly penetrative for in-town use. I think they'd be a bit snappy in an LCR .357 as well, but I haven't tried them in anything but my 686.

148 gr DEWC .357 load S&W 4” 686
    OAL 1.40” Winchester Magnum Small Pistol Primers

“Hercules” 2400 powder circa 1991
    11.0 grs 943-908-891-973-913-1045
    12.0 grs 1061-1075-1033-1049-1013-1081

Alliant Unique powder
    5.3 grs 846-864-793-768-819-865-723-816
    5.8 grs 885-907-899-927-913-877

I too carry GD in my .38 LCR, but will probably switch to Fed GM Match wadcutters as these rotate out. This is a cost thing, and I handload wadcutters that match POA/POA anyway.

My offside pocket revolver is a .22 LCR and I keep CCI Stingers in it (and shoot them and replenish them weekly). The trigger on the .22 LCR, while noticeably heavier than the .38, is incredibly smooth and in no way detrimental to accurate shooting imho.

I wouldn't mind having a 3 inch LCR, but of course I want an LCR in 327 too... it'd be fun to handload for as well

I have at least three sets of 38/357 dies, the main reason for this is that I often start out with a set, then don't like one if the dies for some reason and buy another set that has dies that may address the issue (real or imagined) I'm dealing with. Then I find something else to complain about and buy more. My resulting "user" set commonly has dies from three or more manufacturers. My current setup uses an RCBS "Cowboy" sizing die because all other "standard" dies overwork my precious cases, a Lyman "M" die to expand the case mouths, a Dillon powder charging die set to only drop powder, now additional flaring, a Hornady seating die, set up to seat only, and a Redding Profile crimp die. Since I use a 4 station 550 Dillon, I size all cases in advance in a single stage. Don't be afraid to experiment until you get what you want. See? and you thought you were picky. I use similar combinations in most handgun calibers, you should see my 357 SIG setup!

BTW, Lyman Pistol & Revolver Handbooks carry some pretty hot data for wadcutters in 357 mag cases, just don't use this data with hollowbase wadcutters or you risk bullet skirt separations.

I'll stop here since this isn't the reloading board.

You're welcome.

For in-town-social-work, the BB load may be too much of a good thing considering how much target wadcutters penetrate. I may keep some on hand, but for trail duty only. The GD and target loads will suffice for social work.

I've got 60 rounds of the GD load left. I need to find an alternative that is readily available, but effective.

Chris
    I’ve found it’s usually in stock here. They have 500 round cases and 20 round boxes.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-sp...hp-short-barre

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I have at least three sets of 38/357 dies, the main reason for this is that I often start out with a set, then don't like one if the dies for some reason and buy another set that has dies that may address the issue (real or imagined) I'm dealing with. Then I find something else to complain about and buy more. My resulting "user" set commonly has dies from three or more manufacturers. My current setup uses an RCBS "Cowboy" sizing die because all other "standard" dies overwork my precious cases, a Lyman "M" die to expand the case mouths, a Dillon powder charging die set to only drop powder, now additional flaring, a Hornady seating die, set up to seat only, and a Redding Profile crimp die. Since I use a 4 station 550 Dillon, I size all cases in advance in a single stage. Don't be afraid to experiment until you get what you want. See? and you thought you were picky. I use similar combinations in most handgun calibers, you should see my 357 SIG setup!

BTW, Lyman Pistol & Revolver Handbooks carry some pretty hot data for wadcutters in 357 mag cases, just don't use this data with hollowbase wadcutters or you risk bullet skirt separations.

I'll stop here since this isn't the reloading board.
    Does the RCBS Cowboy .38 sizing die allow for decapping at the same time? I'm with you on standard dies and especially the Dillon dies oversizing .38 brass.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List