Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Could you clarify what Buffalo Bore product you referring to. The link is for a 148 grain wad cutter.....Buffalo Bore claims there's is is 150 grains.
    Same bullet. The mold is supposed to throw 148gr of a certain alloy, but it's not exact.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Could you clarify what Buffalo Bore product you referring to. The link is for a 148 grain wad cutter.....Buffalo Bore claims there's is is 150 grains.

Also,. Is there another and wad cutter loaded by Buffalo bore that is at a lower velocity? I was unable to find one.
    The 150 grain projectile at 850 ft per second has more perceived recoil than the 135 grain +GD Even though it is not rated +p by BB.

Thanks in advance
    The BB load is 15 grains heavier than the GD load, so that would affect felt recoil.
    That said, having fired both loads side-by-side in the same guns, at most I'd say they're equivalent in felt recoil, with the BB load being less "blasty" in comparison.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Same bullet. The mold is supposed to throw 148gr of a certain alloy, but it's not exact.
    Yup. More pure lead by percentage in the mix will increase weight.

Chris

Site Supporter
    My newer 442-2 gets Ranger bonded 130 grain +P
    All my older .38s, service size or snub, get 158 grain Remington +P LHP.
    Six rounds of the same on a belt pouch and four Ranger bonded on a speed strip in the same pocket as the holstered 442 pocket gun.
    LHP rounds get mashed bullet noses when carried there.

If I had to carry a .38 snubby for defense, it would likely be loaded with either Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P short barrel, or Buffalo Bore 158 grain +p LSWCHP.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The BB load is 15 grains heavier than the GD load, so that would affect felt recoil.
    That said, having fired both loads side-by-side in the same guns, at most I'd say they're equivalent in felt recoil, with the BB load being less "blasty" in comparison.

Chris
    This is my experience of the two loads side-by-side as well.

@Wayne Dobbs, are you sure you’re not thinking of the underwood loading that uses the same coated bullet?

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785707556921
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I'm going to try and get out to the range this weekend while visiting my in-laws. I have an LCR, Buffalo Bore Wadcutters, Speer 135gr GDs, and Doubletap Target Wadcutters that I just found tonight at Sportsmans Warehouse. They were $28/50, so much cheaper than the BB load, but about the same as the Fed GM wadcutters.

We'll see what shoots best and to POA in the LCR.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This is my experience of the two loads side-by-side as well.

@Wayne Dobbs, are you sure you’re not thinking of the underwood loading that uses the same coated bullet?

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785707556921
    Underwood may use it also in their load. BB uses the uncoated version last I saw, but I clicked on the coated one because it came up first on SNS's long list of bullets on their site. If I'm not mistaken, the bullet is from the Saeco 348 mold. C.E. "Ed" Harris, an amazing ammo/firearms tech authority, has suggested this bullet over 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a great general purpose .38 Special standard pressure, full power load. I've found he is correct!

If you're a serious .38 shooter, caster or reloader go look at this:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...FBI%20Load.htm
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Underwood may use it also in their load. BB uses the uncoated version last I saw, but I clicked on the coated one because it came up first on SNS's long list of bullets on their site. If I'm not mistaken, the bullet is from the Saeco 348 mold. C.E. "Ed" Harris, an amazing ammo/firearms tech authority, has suggested this bullet over 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a great general purpose .38 Special standard pressure, full power load. I've found he is correct!

If you're a serious .38 shooter, caster or reloader go look at this:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...FBI%20Load.htm
    Copy, thanks for the clarification. Great article^^^ thanks for that, too! As always, I appreciate your expertise.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Me and my 642-1 like slow wadcutters. I first tried the Remington Target 148gr wadcutters. Those bad boys are awesome. Super consistent, low recoiling, and shoot POA for me.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I am currently using the Precision One 148gr copper plated wadcutters. They have a little more punch than the Remington Targets but still shoot POA and are very consistent.

I've never tried +P ammo out of a snubby and I doubt I will. The data I have seen on wadcutters and how nice they are to shoot has me sold.
    The problem with 38 is the low MV. Basically not enough to expand much of anything. Hornady has it's critical defense but I think they had to drop down to 90 gr to get the MV up on their non plus P stuff. It's a hollow point with a plastic insert. That leaves wadcutters. Probably about as good as it gets with heavier bullets.

I don't own any plus P 38's but I do carry a 38. I have faith in wadcutters.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-28-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List