Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Hornady standard pressure load is a good option.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

Good article! I was curious to see how the new SuperVel load would perform; I have to say I'm not surprised.

I have 3 of the loads tested, and I have carried 125 grain Gold Dots and the +p version of the 110 grain Hornady load. I keep the Speer 135 grain load in my 640, with a moonclip of the 110 grain +p Hornady for a reload in my nightstand. I have accidentally mixed the standard pressure and +p versions of the Critical Defense load in a cylinder and I couldn't tell any difference between them. Chrono results on the web seem to show maybe 20-30 fps difference in a 2" barrel.

Interesting how well the boring old Remington load did--especially since it's less than half the price of the other options. I still have some on hand.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Tho only round that shoots to POA in my 642 is 158gr LSWC.

So, 158gr LSWC from Federal. Pretty soft shooting, reloads easily from a speedloader or strip, and a big, flat nose.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Put me in the 135gr Gold Dot camp for my snubby.

Federal “38F” load for me. You know, it comes in those red & white boxes. 110 grain JHP+P. 919 FPS out of model 60 snub. Must be my Treasury heritage. For practice, I load 158 grain SWC, 4.0 grains 231, from my Dillion SDB.

Site Supporter
    I currently run 135gr Gold Dots in my two snubbies (S&W 37-2 and Ruger LCR), but once my current stash is gone, I'll be switching over to wadcutters. The Buffalo Bore 150gr Wadcutters are good to go and I might get them as they're more available locally than target-oriented wadcutters, though expensive at $30/20. Still, they'll do for carry and I can load my own wadcutters for practice.

Chris

The 150 grain Buffalo bore wad cutter, to me, has as much or more recoil than the 135 grain gold dot 38 special.

The trade off of a target wad cutter is perhaps a bit less performance for a much more shootable and practice-able cartridge.

If one is inclined to deal with the recoil they are likely better off with a quality hp like the 135+p GD.

If Buffalo bore loaded that round to around 700 ft per second out of it 2 inch gun ( like the Fed GMM) with its sharp shoulder and hard cast projectile then they would have something.

I carry GMM for its shootability and the high QC provided by the manufacturer. I generally avoid boutique manufacturers for carry rounds.

Site Supporter
    The standard power (non +P) load that BB loads is really solid. You can buy the exact bullet they use from SNS Casting:

https://www.snscasting.com/38-357-14...coated-1000ct/

Then load it with 3.5 grains of Bullseye and you have what I've found to be about the best general purpose .38 Special load out there. It shoots to sights, penetrates to about 17" in a straight line and is easy on guns and shooters. It can literally be the only load you need (except for some factory loaded BB ammo for carry).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The standard power (non +P) load that BB loads is really solid. You can buy the exact bullet they use from SNS Casting:

Then load it with 3.5 grains of Bullseye and you have what I've found to be about the best general purpose .38 Special load out there. It shoots to sights, penetrates to about 17" in a straight line and is easy on guns and shooters. It can literally be the only load you need (except for some factory loaded BB ammo for carry).
    Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

I just ordered a few boxes of that stuff. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks!

Could you clarify what Buffalo Bore product you referring to. The link is for a 148 grain wad cutter.....Buffalo Bore claims there's is is 150 grains.

Also,. Is there another and wad cutter loaded by Buffalo bore that is at a lower velocity? I was unable to find one.
    The 150 grain projectile at 850 ft per second has more perceived recoil than the 135 grain +GD Even though it is not rated +p by BB.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Navin Johnson; 11-26-2019 at 10:53 AM.

User Tag List