Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I *assumed* there was a typo - either on the bullet weight, or on which bullet shape. I haven’t seen a 158gr full wadcutter, but I’m sure it could be done.
    Totally a typo. They’re the 148gr variety.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    S&W 442-1

Federal 158gr. GMM Wadcutters for carry

Currently looking for a good practice load that’s FMJ. Any suggestions that’ll match my carry load fairly close?
    I don't know if your POA/POI will be the same as the wadcutter, but I've had good results in several guns with Fiocchi 158 gr FMJ RN (38G) and Sellier & Bellot FMJ FP (SB38P).
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

158 Semi wadcutters

I have recently started testing 158 grain Semi wadcutters in several J frames and a Colt Cobra. The standard velocity 158's are pretty pleasant to shoot, maybe a little more recoil than the 148 wadcutters, but definitely less violence than the plus p rounds. So far I've tried the Federal, Remington, Winchester and Magtech SWC loads. I've also tried the Buffalo Bore non plus P 158 SWCHP. It has more recoil than the more common factory SWC loads, but not enough to be unpleasant in light weight guns.

The semi wadcutters seem to hit closer to POA. Best accuracy has been with the Federal and Remington loads. The Magtech is much smokier than the others. At this point, I'm liking the standard velocity semi wadcutters in lightweight guns.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I don't know if your POA/POI will be the same as the wadcutter, but I've had good results in several guns with Fiocchi 158 gr FMJ RN (38G) and Sellier & Bellot FMJ FP (SB38P).
    I’ll see if I can give those a shot, thank you.

S&W 442-1

Just as with 9mm, I'm not that particular. RA38B, Federal HST micro, and Speer Gold Dot short barrel are what I have carried. I did find some WC and they are way more fun to shoot. I'd switch to them except for the need for pointier bullets as reloads.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    S&W 442-1

Just as with 9mm, I'm not that particular. RA38B, Federal HST micro, and Speer Gold Dot short barrel are what I have carried. I did find some WC and they are way more fun to shoot. I'd switch to them except for the need for pointier bullets as reloads.
    Some people are loading wadcutters as the admin load and carrying a pointier load for the reloads.

I *assumed* there was a typo - either on the bullet weight, or on which bullet shape. I haven’t seen a 158gr full wadcutter, but I’m sure it could be done.

Typo aside, there are heavier wadcutter bullets available for the handloader (pre-made, or cast your own), and Buffalo Bore and (IIRC) Double Tap make 150ish grain wadcutter ammo.

I carry either RA38B or the 135gr +P Gold Dot and practice mostly with my own lighter 148gr HBWC or 158gr SWC handloads. I wouldn't feel terrible about using either of my handloads in a pinch. I lucked into a case of RA38B for cheap, and recently found a local place selling 50rd boxes of the Gold Dot load for a reasonable price. The Ranger and Gold Dot loads shoot close enough to my sights to not worry about offset inside 20-25 yards. I also have a pile of 130gr FMJ Winchester factory ammo that I mix in to my practice routines.

I really think with snubbies, ammo isn't going to matter as much as learning how to shoot the gun well, if lighter recoiling wadcutter ammo allows you to do that, so be it.

I am loading my snubnoses with Speer 135 grain Gold Dot loads.
    They shoot to the same point of aim as my 158 grain LSWC reloads so
    that's good. I can practice with my reloads and carry the Speer loads
    with no point of aim issues.

I carried Cor-Bon 110 grain and Winchester HP loads for a while.
    Switched to Speer ammo when I got some good deals on it some years
    back.

Another fan of the Precision One plated 148 WCs. I use 'em for practice and carry. Affordable, consistent, slightly spirited, no leading. Speer GDs in the speed strips.

I currently carry Hornady 110gr Critical Defense, which are okay. I just bought a few boxes of Federal GMM wadcutters, but haven’t had a chance to shoot them yet. If they are what they are supposed to be as far as ease on my hands/joints and hit to POA, I’ll probably switch to carrying them.
    The Hornady standard pressure load is a good option.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

User Tag List