Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

DocGKR's stickied post on 38 Special snubnose ammunition is probably a good thing to read before commenting in this thread.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    DocGKR's stickied post on 38 Special snubnose ammunition is probably a good thing to read before commenting in this thread.
    Which one is that? There isn't a stickied post about 38 ammo in this forum or the revolver forum unless you're referring to the 380 vs 38 one (more a reference for BUGs than a deep discussion on 38spec ammo). That one recommends some of the same loads we've been suggesting here, such as the 135gr GD and the broader class of target wadcutters. There was also a suggestion for 110gr DPX.

For my own use, I'm going to switch to target wadcutters because I can duplicate that load as a handloader, but rely on factory ammo for carry. It's harder to do that using the 135gr GD load.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Which one is that? There isn't a stickied post about 38 ammo in this forum or the revolver forum unless you're referring to the 380 vs 38 one (more a reference for BUGs than a deep discussion on 38spec ammo). That one recommends some of the same loads we've been suggesting here, such as the 135gr GD and the broader class of target wadcutters. There was also a suggestion for 110gr DPX.

For my own use, I'm going to switch to target wadcutters because I can duplicate that load as a handloader, but rely on factory ammo for carry. It's harder to do that using the 135gr GD load.

Chris
    I believe yes it’s this one:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-ACP-vs-38-Sp
    Last edited by RJ; 11-28-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'm aware of @DocGKR's recommendations. In the best of all possible worlds, I'd go with them - based on his advice I carry HST in my autoloaders. Availability of the RA38B is spotty outside of LE channels and I consider Barnes a boutique producer; additionally, Barnes advertises how "lethal" their bullets are and I don't want to have to deal with that in court in the event I'd have to defend myself. I'm open to the Speer load, I need to find some to see if it hits to POA. My guess is that the 110-grain loads would hit below POA from my gun.

I wish there were test results available outside of LE channels.

Site Supporter
    DocGKR is the only researcher validating wadcutter use in .38 snub revolvers. Other people throughout the years have commented yea or nay, but he has supported his opinion. Until he did, I did not suggest the wadcutter and suggested hotter ammo. I was wrong.

Some .357 Mag dies work with .38 brass. Some don't. Those that don't will seat but not crimp the shorter brass. Lyman dies work with both. Others probably will.

Different bullet shapes have different seating stems. The completely flat wc stem works very well with all bullet shapes.

Lyman has made 160 grain wadcutter molds. The wc bullet can be seated farther out in the case to increase powder capacity. The experimenter can then increase charge to bump up velocity. In the past I did so and shot the ammo through a Ruger single action and thumped everything I shot with it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Some .357 Mag dies work with .38 brass. Some don't. Those that don't will seat but not crimp the shorter brass. Lyman dies work with both. Others probably will.
    Lee dies will, and they don't sell a dedicated version since you just adjust for whichever you are loading. I've loaded a metric butt-ton of .38 special wadcutters with mine, but loaded plenty of "real" 158gr .357 magnum ammo as well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

SGAmmo.com has you covered if you're looking for the Short Barrel Gold Dot load, @revchuck38.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-sp...short-barrel-0

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-sp...-short-barrel-

No idea why there's two different product codes with a $5 difference per box when they appear identical with the exception of packaging, but there's plenty to buy.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    @TGS - Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post

Lyman has made 160 grain wadcutter molds. The wc bullet can be seated farther out in the case to increase powder capacity. The experimenter can then increase charge to bump up velocity...
    I think most dies today work with 38s and 357s. I had an older die set that didnt crimp 38s, I had the boss at the bike shop turn it down shorter in the lathe so it crimped. One could also just buy a crimp or crimp seat die.

The wadcutters that stick out were fairly common in the distant past. i recall seeing them listed as factory wadcutters in 1960s and earlier Shooters Bibles. I have a Lyman mould for that type, they made them in 148 and 160-ish grain with the same number (dont recall the mould number, 360344? That one first came out in the 19-teens). They were used before there were actual flush seated wadcutter cases that were thinner walled farther back so they didnt compress the bullet base when seated. The wadcutter cases been widely described as having two knurled rings around the case, most 38 cases have one or none. Anyway, the old type wadcutters left about 1/4" of bullet sticking out, thats how they were designed and intended to be used, they had a beveled crimp groove and two lube grooves I believe.

Edit: the Lyman Ideal mould number I was thinking of is the 358432.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1403143657
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-28-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    You are correct. The hot loaded ones I shot in the Blackhawk were extended beyond the case mouth about 1/2 inch and then were crimped using a lube groove. This was a young man's experiment. They were effective on the poor critters I popped with them but so would have been any other hot load. A more sensible load is seen in the bullet you cite and 3.5 to 4.0 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot.

User Tag List