Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Perhaps, and perhaps in "modern times", but the concept is pretty old school. The cool kids back in the day would load HBWC backwards to make an expanding round, as well.
    Oh, I'm old enough to remember back then. The resurgence seems to be P-F-specific.

@Bill Nesbitt told me about the 138-grain (not a typo) WCs Bayou Bullets sells. I'll probably get some to see if they hit close enough to POA to be useful...I love those pretty round holes.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    This may sound dumb but what are ya'll using to handload full wadcutters? Do you need a special bullet seating die?
    I used the same seating die, but I think I had to stack up washers on the seating punch to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Oh, I'm old enough to remember back then. The resurgence seems to be P-F-specific.

@Bill Nesbitt told me about the 138-grain (not a typo) WCs Bayou Bullets sells. I'll probably get some to see if they hit close enough to POA to be useful...I love those pretty round holes.
    This good video by Chris Baker is about three years old.

https://youtu.be/gPXDwi7O0jg

I also believe I’ve read an article on using WCs by Mr. Chuck Haggard, but I’d have to track it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I used the same seating die, but I think I had to stack up washers on the seating punch to make it work.
    Thank you! Do you think 357 magnum dies would work too or too long for 38 wadcutters? I have to find the one video I found, the guy said he took something out of the seating die or flipped it around or something and it seemed to work good. I don't know why they don't just make a wadcutter seating die.

Thank you! Do you think 357 magnum dies would work too or too long for 38 wadcutters? I have to find the one video I found, the guy said he took something out of the seating die or flipped it around or something and it seemed to work good. I don't know why they don't just make a wadcutter seating die.
    I just looked. I'm using a Dillon 38/357 seating die and stem. It has interchangeable seating stems. I think I'm using the semi wadcutter stem with extra washers to make it long enough. Somebody probably makes a wadcutter stem that would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I just looked. I'm using a Dillon 38/357 seating die and stem. It has interchangeable seating stems. I think I'm using the semi wadcutter stem with extra washers to make it long enough. Somebody probably makes a wadcutter stem that would work better.
    That is a great help! Thank you so much for looking for me! I'll take a look at what Dillon has since I have a 550 anyway. I was probably going to use the rcbs turret press because I probably won't be pumping out as many 38s as I do other calibers, but the dies should work just fine in the rcbs.

My apologies for the thread drift. It just got me thinking about wanting to load my own wadcutters.

Another vote for Federal HST 130gr +P. Mild recoil, shoots to my J frame's sights, and I've been pleased with the gel test results I've got (11-13" with GREAT expansion).

Corbon DPX 110 gr +P is also decent in my experience, but it has a stiffer recoil and is more expensive and harder to find.

Site Supporter
    I had a set of .357 dies at one point that were given to me. I don’t remember which one, probably the crimp? But one of them wouldn’t work at all for .38 Special. A set of .38/.357 dies works well for both.

I be liken Buffalo Bore 150 wadcutter. Hard lead,sharp edge, 17in penetration in gel , straight . Shoots POA in all my j's.
    CYA Mike
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Ti cylinder J frames, Federal 148 match WC

Steel cylinder, steel frame guns, Corbon DPX

Older alloy frame airweights, specifically D frames or M12, Buffalo bore standard pressure loading of the Barnes 110gr HP

either the Buffalo Bore 110gr barnes or Corbon DPX in the speed strips as reloads for all

User Tag List