Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic 25m guns and clubs

Olympic 25m guns and clubs

I'm big on run-and-gun with a duty gun, but it appears that my better half prefers target shooting. She does okay with her Walther Q5 Match, so I'm thinking about letting her try a more rigorous discipline. At our age aiming for Olympics per se is out of the question (last time a Greek girl took gold at 20 years old), but still, let's see if it can be fun.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Should I just buy her a S&W Victory and a stack of bullseye targets and let her loose on 25m, or is there anything else to it?

It it matters, we're located in the U.S., in central Texas.

SW 41 is the 22 of choice for bullseye shooters.

There's lot of Bullseye shooting in TX, all within a 3 hr drive from you. She can shoot just the rimfire portion of the match. That Victory will work just fine.
    Last edited by andre3k; 11-21-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Well, the problem is, I'm sufficiently ignorant about the competition aspect of it. Here's a level of my questions:

- Is NRA Precision Pistol nee Bullseye Pistol the same thing as Olympic-style 25m Rapid Fire Pistol, or is it different?

- What do I search for in a club and/or match authority?

- Are there any membership organizations that I need to consider?

You'd think it would be as simple as running a web search and reading some websites, without asking on forums... but I guess I'm too dumb tor that.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Well, the problem is, I'm sufficiently ignorant about the competition aspect of it. Here's a level of my questions:

- Is NRA Precision Pistol nee Bullseye Pistol the same thing as Olympic-style 25m Rapid Fire Pistol, or is it different?

You'd think it would be as simple as running a web search and reading some websites, without asking on forums... but I guess I'm too dumb tor that.
    Check out Texas Precision Pistol Network if you do Facebook. I've shot one 2700 match and I'm hardly an expert but I do have that group in my feed and it's pretty active. You can post those questions there and get a ton of responses. Bullseye isn't exactly a growing sport and they get pretty worked up over new shooters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post

NRA bullseye and Olympic rapid fire are different.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-4maiu3hg

Talks about Olympic rapid fire starting at about the 6:50 ish Mark.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-21-2019 at 08:45 PM.

A quick look at the rules finds three different "rapid fire" procedures in ISSF.
    One is much like NRA Precision, Slow fire 5 shots in 5 minutes, timed fire 5 in 20 seconds, rapid fire 5 shots in 10 seconds.
    The traditional ISU course of fire, slow fire and what used to be known as "the duel" now rapid fire with one shot in 3 seconds, wait 7 seconds, repeat for five hits, controlled by turning targets or green-red lights.
    Traditional Olympic rapid fire, five shots on separate targets in 8 seconds, 5 in 6, 5 in 4. Used to be shot with 22 Short, now LR.

All shooting at 25 metres (There are reduced targets for 25 yards on NRA ranges.)
    The only 50 metre event in ISSF is what used to be known as Free Pistol, done with elaborate single shots.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Oh, yeah, here are the rules. Kind of complicated, you (she) will have to pick an event.
    https://www.usashooting.org/library/...SAS_Pistol.pdf

Sorry, I don't know of any ISSF clubs thereabouts. Or anywhere, really.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The ISSF website references USA Shooting, which in turn has a 'locate a club' feature.

The Texas State Rifle Association website makes mention of ISSF pistol competition.

The ISSF website has their rulebook posted here: https://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/..._rulebook.ashx

NRA Precision Pistol and Olympic Pistol are similar in that they are both fired with one hand only. There are some differences, and some overlap, in the courses of fire and the guns used.The same way that USPSA and IDPA are similar, but a little different.

USA Shooting is the organizing body for Olympic shooting, and their website shows some matches in Carrollton.

I think your wife would be better served by NRA Precision Pistol. There are more matches in this country, and more support for it. The NRA website shows matches in Carrollton, Houston, Manor, and Wichita Falls.

Are any of those cities close you you?

Mark

User Tag List