Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Earpro for home defense.

A quick google search turned up 12 gauge chamber pressures around 12,000 psi. .357 mag is up around 35,000 psi. Thats a much bigger blast hitting your ears. I wouldn't make a habit out of shooting hd loads from a shotgun without ear pro, but I would worry much about 1 or 2 rounds.

For some of us, it's "electronic hearing enhancement". Seems perfectly reasonable if there's time.

Site Supporter
    While I like the idea of enhanced hearing, I wouldn't like losing the sense of sound direction; for me it's just not the same.

-Sent using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    If the dog starts barking, I grab the following in sequence:

1. Pistol w/x300
    2. Body armor
    3. Electronic ear pro
    4. Long gun

The more time I have, the further down the list I can get before reacting to the potential threat...
    Put me down as agreeing with Doc.

Electronic earpro is certainly nice...but it's not something you'll necessarily have time to don when bad things are happening.

There's this idea running around out there where people think that if you fire a gun indoors you'll somehow be incapacitated by the noise of the gun going off. These people are basing their understanding of sound on how "loud" guns sound when you're shooting them in a calm situation. It can be very loud and even somewhat painful if it's loud enough...but when you are feeling the effects of adrenaline, you may not even hear the shot you fire. I've experienced relatively mild auditory exclusion while hunting. I fired a .30 caliber rifle and the gun made a mild pop (sounded almost like a primer popping on a dud round) for the three shots I fired from it in rapid succession. My ears didn't even ring afterwards where they certainly would have had I been on the range firing without hearing protection.

I've also had the experience of being in a shoothouse with a bunch of dudes who were using 5.56 SBR's with muzzle brakes without ear pro. In a moment of range idiocy I had forgotten to take the ear pro from around the top of my head and actually put it on my ears before lining up in the stack and going into a room. In the first room we all engaged targets with multiple shots. As I was firing my weapon I distinctly remember thinking "Gee...this is an awful lot louder than it should be....ow." while putting several shots into the "face" of the paper bad guy in my sector. I corrected my ear pro situation quickly and moved on with the exercise. I did not fall to the ground with ruptured eardrums, utterly incapacitated. I'm absolutely certain I damaged my hearing to some extent with that bone-headed move, but it didn't cause any serious impediment to my ability to perform in the scenario.

If you believe someone is breaking into your house to do you harm, you're going to be pretty busy. If you have sufficient time to put on good electronic hearing protection to enhance your ability to hear (keeping in mind that most ear pro is directional, which is why it's sometimes problematic when hunting) then by all means do so. It's just that the sort of situations which you must solve with gunfire tend to happen in time frames that don't always allow you to have everything you'd like to have. That's one reason why I'm a huge fan of the night stand gun having a mounted white light...because if you're awakened at 3:00 AM by someone trying to beat your door down you can grab the gun and go deal with the problem or at least set up on the potential threat far enough forward that any attempt to get to your loved ones will have to overcome gunfire to succeed.

I'm in agreement with JV. Plus, if my dog is barking; it's not too difficult to find him and his ears are far better than mine. Not mention his ability to find intruders with his nose. I realize most folks are not equipped with a guard dog who only barks when there's some serious stuff going down and is also quite willing to attack an intruder but it works for me. Also, if he's barking; I'll be too busy hauling ass to my daughter's room to secure her to worry about anything other than grabbing the pistol with the light on it. As in a few seconds delay of putting on gear would not be tolerable to my parenting instincts.
    #RESIST

deleted
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

Depends on the gun how big a deal this is, to some extent. Indoors, low recoil buck from a full sized gauge (not that bad in my experience) is much nicer to one's ears than say a 2" .357mag.

I have a bud that lost 30% of his hearing due to a fight in a small apt. that involved a large pit bull and six rounds of 125gr Remington launched from a 4" model 66

I have a set of MSA Sordins that I wish I had owned before I lost so much hearing to gunfire and flash-bangs.

Unlike the Doc, I no longer live in California, and as a resident of a freed state, I exercise my right to keep and bear arms, including suppressors. So I don't concern myself much with it.

However, hearing loss, once set in, is permanent. There is no surgery, no hearing aid, nothing that will make it all better. The whole TachyPsychy thing is all well and good for the moment, but it doesn't stop permanent damage from taking place. Shooting guns indoors is loud. Duh. A discussion about which type of gun/load combination is better for your hearing is academic at best, and I can't see any measurable benefit to it unless it is backed by hard fact not "Bubba" logic.

For me, electronic ear pro only amplify the constant ringing in my seriously damaged ears, and takes away what little direction finding ability I have left. I have a suppressed carbine for my HD role, but that doesn't mean I won't start blazing with a shotgun just because I left my ear pro in my range bag..............

Wear ear pro, get a suppressor, or just deal with it. Your life, your situation, you decide what is right for you. Regardless of how you envisioned your shooting scenario to play out, it is very likely to be quite different in real life.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Wear ear pro, get a suppressor, or just deal with it. Your life, your situation, you decide what is right for you. Regardless of how you envisioned your shooting scenario to play out, it is very likely to be quite different in real life.
    Sean... Is there any way that you and Tamara can get together and make a baby and then we can elect that baby as emperor of America?

I think that much common sense in one person would eradicate aids and cancer and all three seasons of Glee.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    Just put asuppressor on your HD gun. Problem solved (very expensively).
    I'm leaning toward the supressor option. I want one anyway! Until then, hearing be damned.

User Tag List