Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Earpro for home defense.

If the dog starts barking, I grab the following in sequence:

1. Pistol w/x300
    2. Body armor
    3. Electronic ear pro
    4. Long gun

The more time I have, the further down the list I can get before reacting to the potential threat...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

1. Pistol w/x300
    2. Body armor
    3. Electronic ear pro
    4. Long gun

The more time I have, the further down the list I can get before reacting to the potential threat...
    Layers of protection... is the key. I like it and employ it similarly.

@ Topic

Hardened door jambs give me more time.
    Dogs alert us and I grab the following:

1.Wife (move her to the far side of the room, heavy sleeper)
    2.Pistol (and move offset of the door to the bedroom)
    3.Electronic ear pro (it's on the dresser where I would move to)
    4.Phone (also located on the dresser)

"Buying" more time isn't really expensive and could be the difference in just getting to your gun and moving to an advantageous spot. I think all in all, I spent about $300 to harden the entryways and buy more time.

Searched the site but couldn't find it here, it may have been on another forum, but the gist of the post was that auditory occlusion isn't as awesome as people have made it out to be. The brain not processing sound is far different than the physical damage to sensitive parts of the ear by the sound/shock wave. Parts of what I've read stated that people don't "remember" hearing the shots. That doesn't mean that the physical damage to the Cochlear parts isn't real.
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 04-24-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: speeeeeling

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

1. Pistol w/x300
    2. Body armor
    3. Electronic ear pro
    4. Long gun

Once you have the pistol, how do you don body armor and ear pro? Do you put down the gun you just picked up for the other gear? I would prefer armor and ears, given the choice, but I think that being armed quickly and finding out what is going on is more important.

I can't see myself putting electronic earpro on to address a bump in the night. That just seems absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Other than the gun shots, I hear more with electronic earpro than without, FWIW. That is, in fact, one of the considerations for keeping them handy. Whether I would have time and the wherewithal to put them on, should the event arise, who can say? But it certainly doesn't hurt to have them there, and might just help.
    This. I already own a set of Sordin Supreme Pros, and they sit on a dresser in the bedroom. There is a G17 and a BCM carbine next to them.

Like others, I've fired weapons in enclosed spaces. In my case, it was an M-16 and a M-60 (it seemed like a good idea at the time). My adrenaline was on the high side at the time as well. But it did permanent damage, and I am dang near deaf as a post without some form of electronic amplication.

Fortunately, I have a 90+ pound GSD mix that sleeps next to the bed. His hearing is much better than mine. He's real subtle, too.

Like a wise old Gunny told me once: "Better to have it and not need it, than ....." I'm not talking smack to anyone in this thread, please don't take it that way. I'm just employing the resources I already own.

I can't imagine having the time to put on stuff when my dog is barking. When my dog barks, he means business and I'm far more concerned about my family than my hearing (like I said, I've been shot in an enclosed space and I'm fine).
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I can't see myself putting electronic earpro on to address a bump in the night. That just seems absurd.
    Ha! That's what you think. You better don a respirator, booties and tyvek suit too, otherwise you and yours will die of lead poisoning after the shoot!

Also depends on what you are shooting. A buddy shot a grizzly bear in a semi-enclosed porch of his house with a four inch, ported .500 S&W. It was good that he killed the bear with first shot, because he said the concussion of the shot dropped him, in addition to the bear. I generally have not been bothered by gunshots in the hunting field, but in one dust up with a cape buffalo, with near a dozen shots of .375H&H and .416 Rigby, despite a charging buff, my wife's .375 going off next to my ear got real old after a few shots.

I would think a short barrel AR, in the house, would be very hard on your ears. I am just guessing, but a 18 inch shotgun, between the longer barrel and modest velocity, would seem to be about a lot easier on your ears?

Let's remember that a lot of the population thinks just owning, let alone daily carry of a firearm is absurd...

Good electronic hearing protection actually amplifies hearing and can be quite useful when investigating bumps in the night.

Attilla: Pistol goes in right hand, MAR-CIRAS w/open right side is grabbed with left hand and donned overhead without upsetting pistol in right hand. Left hand then grabs hearing protection from pouch on vest and jams on head, punching the on button on the left side of the Sordins. Total time from wake-up to having pistol in hand w/armor and hearing protection is about 10-12 sec.

I fired a 20" AR in a hallway without ear pro when I was a kid. 20+ years later, my ears are still ringing.

This is one reason I think a suppressor (if legal in your jurisdiction) would be a great HD addition. I wouldn't want to don non-electronic ear pro if something went bump in the night, but I don't fancy that constant ringing getting any louder either.

User Tag List