Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Earpro for home defense.

Earpro for home defense.

A new funshop/range opened up right down the street from my house (literally. Hahaha! It's okay. Be jealous!) a few weeks back, and as my inaugural purchase from the new store I picked up a Mossberg 590 9 shot with all the trinkets and doodads I found desirable, and it is now my preferred HD shotgun, to complement the wifey's stoeger. This lead to several discussions between me and her about our various HD contingency plans, with inevitably lead to the subject of hearing loss.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have set off a cylinder full of full house .357 inside of an enclosed small room before in a shoot house, sans earpro. My ears were ringing for an hour afterwords, and I am not eager to repeat that particular incident.

So, I was considering the possibility of keeping some sort of electronic earpro next to/in the vicinity of the shotgun, incase i need to use it. Of course, that as also got me wondering about the general feasibility of such an idea.

Comments, suggestions, experience?
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

I dunno if I'd go with electronic, but maybe earplugs? Which do you think would be easier to put on in the dark, after hearing a bump in the night?

and yes, I am jealous about the funshop

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    I dunno if I'd go with electronic, but maybe earplugs? Which do you think would be easier to put on in the dark, after hearing a bump in the night?

and yes, I am jealous about the funshop
    I don't keep earpro near my home defense guns. IF I were to do such though it would be muffs (quick and easy to get on/off) and they would for SURE be electronic. I'd want to hear every small detail of what's going on up until and after the BANG, esp with my family in the house.

I have a set of Sordins near my bed. Not sure if I will use them if/when the time comes but they are there.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

ear pro has no place in my hd planning. Don't see me rolling out of bed at a bump in the night and having the where with all to put on muffs or put in plugs as I grab my gun.

If it were in my plan, it would definitely be a type of ear pro that still allowed me to hear normally until the bang. In a dark situation your ears are just as important as your eyes if not more so.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Dwell time. If I have enough time from hearing someone breaking into my house till they actually make entry, I'm all about slapping on my electronic ear pro.

However, in my war gaming of possible scenarios, I just don't have the time to grab the firearm, dial 911 and put on ear pro, tac vest, Kevlar jockstrap or much of anything else.

Just put asuppressor on your HD gun. Problem solved (very expensively).

Site Supporter
    If I'm ever faced with a HD scenario, protecting my hearing will be a minor consideration.
    Hearing EVERYTHING at that moment trumps hearing anything afterward. IMO, YMMV

Also...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachypsychia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Comb...ual_distortion

http://panicdisorder.about.com/od/gl...ditoryExcl.htm

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If I'm ever faced with a HD scenario, protecting my hearing will be a minor consideration.
    Hearing EVERYTHING at that moment trumps hearing anything afterward. IMO, YMMV
    ditto. I'll have to have built a fortified position in my house before giving two shits about ear pro. Living>hearing loss. Funny enough, I've got a set of electronic earpro on my nightstand.....but it's just by chance because I didn't feel like walking the extra 10 feet to put it next to my gun stuff.

That doesn't negate the fact that your hearing can be damaged by gun shots.

I was shot by a .45ACP in a vehicle and my hearing is fine. I sincerely doubt that at #Am, your first thought upon hearing a bump in the night is "ah, I must don my earpro!"
    #RESIST

User Tag List