Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK to release additional SP5 variants

HK to release additional SP5 variants

Apparently HK is set to release at least two new SP5 pistol variants in the US soon. One will be regular MP5 sized. The other will have a 16” barrel. There will possibly be an updated SP5k that has a tri-lug and paddle magazine release as well. It looks like none will have braces so you’ll have to add your own or Form 1 it and add a real stock. Here is a link to an HKPro thread on the topic where numerous posters stated their dealers confirmed this to be true and allowed them to preorder: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-talk/.../502536?page=1. Be warned, it’s a large thread and the beginning is mostly people calling bullshit on the announcement.

Based on the MSRP of the SP5k, I’m guessing they’ll be offered somewhere in the $2500 range. I’m pretty excited since I wanted an MP5 variant since I saw Die Hard as a kid. It would be awesome to have one with all the modern updates actually made by HK instead of one of the Turkish or Pakistani licensed copies. Time to start saving my pennies.

You’re all welcome. I apologize to your bank accounts and spouses in advance.

Mods, I’m posting this in Semiauto Pistols because they’re being released as pistols, but please feel free to move it if this thread would be a better fit in another sub forum.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Post #32 is probably most relevant: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-talk/...ml#post3606996

Time to start saving I guess.

I always like options... but likely will be going PTR when I get one.

I'll say what I've been saying elsewhere about this - believe it when they're on shelves and not a day before then. Remember that HK announced the HK243 (civilian G36) years ago, and those have never once materialized stateside.

Even then, they'll probably be snatched up immediately to go on Gunbroker for 1.5x MSRP and given the SP5K's stocking status, I doubt they'll ever become commonplace. In the meantime, remember that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. As nice as having a factory HK SP5 would be, I (finally) have a working Z-5RS in my safe already. If I were still in the market, I'd probably still feel the same way about a DT or PCS clone.

About 5 years ago I Form1'd a POF MP5 pistol. Even with 922r parts, the stock, engraving, tax stamp, and 9 extra POF mags I am only about $100 over dealer cost of the SP5. It's not an HK by far, but it has had zero issues over a couple thousand rounds to date. I'm happy and as a bonus it has the "Die Hard" look and is an actual MP5 marked gun.

Would I prefer the SP5? Maybe. Our HK rep was pulling the hard sell but didn't have specifics like if it had a paddle mag release and tri-lug & threaded barrel. To some those are important things.

I'm happy HK is doing this, but it just seems a few years too late as right now guns aren't cool to the public, in general.

Site Supporter
    I heard these are set for a Christmas release.

Name:  2CC2D613-8AE5-4B92-9666-5B1E9C9699DB.jpg
Views: 3589
Size:  31.4 KB

Never pulled the trigger on an SP5K because they would need so much more $$$ to get them MP5ish.

Well, all this needs is a form 1 and a stock. Can't wait until the initial craze comes down and you can get deals on them.

There goes my APC9 pro interest.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    About 5 years ago I Form1'd a POF MP5 pistol. Even with 922r parts, the stock, engraving, tax stamp, and 9 extra POF mags I am only about $100 over dealer cost of the SP5. It's not an HK by far, but it has had zero issues over a couple thousand rounds to date. I'm happy and as a bonus it has the "Die Hard" look and is an actual MP5 marked gun.

Would I prefer the SP5? Maybe. Our HK rep was pulling the hard sell but didn't have specifics like if it had a paddle mag release and tri-lug & threaded barrel. To some those are important things.

I'm happy HK is doing this, but it just seems a few years too late as right now guns aren't cool to the public, in general.
    The buyers interested in a weird psuedo SMG 9mm thing that's over $2000 aren't new to being a gun enthusiast, nor are they typically the sort to allow their enthusiasm to wane based on shrill public opinion or politics.

If HK does this right and offers these with the 3 lug and a paddle mag release, they'll sell every one as soon as it gets to the US.
    They'll be perpetually on allocation or backorder through distributors and only consistently available via Gunbroker, much like the SP5K.

I really hope this pulls through, it'll be great to have new HK options instead of just the PTR.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I heard these are set for a Christmas release.

Name:  2CC2D613-8AE5-4B92-9666-5B1E9C9699DB.jpg
Views: 3589
Size:  31.4 KB
    Part of the HK rep hard sell was "two weeks". This was Tuesday of the week, FWIW.

Also, it ain't Christmas until Hans falls.

User Tag List