Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-things Malkoff Wiki

Hammertime

The All-things Malkoff Wiki

Thanks for all the terminology and understanding. My next tactical light will be a Malkoff.

Sorry to muddy this thread, but Malkoff does not produce any lights with a switch on the side near the bezel. I consider this ideal for a utility light.

Is there a “Malkoff” of the utility light world I should look at? Something like this:

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-22-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Is there a “Malkoff” of the utility light world I should look at? Something like this:

I would consider any quality flashlight with a UI, output and beam pattern of your liking suitable for those tasks. Zebras seem a common choice for this!

FWIW, my most used light is this one, a Malkoff Lego that I use for taking the dogs out for their final outing every winter night;

Part List

1 - M91B head with high/low switch
    1 - MD3 body with standard tailcap
    2 - KP 18500 2000mAh protected cells

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the terminology and understanding. My next tactical light will be a Malkoff.

Sorry to muddy this thread, but Malkoff does not produce any lights with a switch on the side near the bezel. I consider this ideal for a utility light.

Consider that the switch is one of the components that can eventually wear out (although this has been rare for me), and a tail switch that screws onto the body is easily replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Consider that the switch is one of the components that can eventually wear out (although this has been rare for me), and a tail switch that screws onto the body is easily replaced.
    ...and the switch in a Malkoff tailcap can be ordered as a separate part and is easily replaceable.

Thread subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    But the Malkoff universe is hard to navigate. Thanks for the guidance, @NH Shooter.
    That is a huge reason I have never ordered one.
    I concur with both these statements.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I can’t add much to this thread, save for: my original 6P (very original, early 90’s fully round) with a Malkoff "warm" drop-in giving new life is my favorite hand-held.

I actually found a new old stock 6P online for 34 bucks the other day, so that’ll be a spare, once another drop-in arrives from Malkoff. Less than a benjamin for a great, fool-proof light.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I would consider any quality flashlight with a UI, output and beam pattern of your liking suitable for those tasks. Zebras seem a common choice for this!

FWIW, my most used light is this one, a Malkoff Lego that I use for taking the dogs out for their final outing every winter night;

Part List

1 - M91B head with high/low switch
    1 - MD3 body with standard tailcap
    2 - KP 18500 2000mAh protected cells
    All of my Zebralights (4 pieces) are dead, from barely being used. None of them received any abuse. I'm never buying Zebralights or any other Chicom garbage again, and would not recommend them to anyone else either.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    All of my Zebralights (4 pieces) are dead, from barely being used. None of them received any abuse. I'm never buying Zebralights or any other Chicom garbage again, and would not recommend them to anyone else either.
    Good to know. I never owned one but for taking the garbage out at night they seemed a viable choice. That said, 10-4 on Chicom lights in general.

On another note, since we can't edit our own posts after a brief period of time (or after someone replies), my goal is to build an index in the OP that leads to my "installments" once I have them all posted. I'd be doing so as I add each installment, but I cannot. I tried using PM to ask for assistance, but evidently the mods are shit here. :-)
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-23-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Malkoff Turnkey Lights

Not everyone is interested in "building" their light and would prefer to buy a complete light, ready to go. This installment will look at the currently-available Malkoff turnkey lights with an emphasis on the kind of lights we P-F members are interested in.

Malkoff turnkey lights are categorized by size as follows;

Small Malkoff LED Lights

The Malkoff MDC (Malkoff Daily Carry) lights are essentially the size-equivalent of the Surefire E-series lights. These lights are available in a useful array of models, including 1-AA, 2-AA, 1-CR123A and 2-CR123A configurations. The 1-AA and 2-AA lights have a maximum voltage input of 3.2 volts, as well as a few of the 1-CR123A models. For this reason, it's important to avoid using 14500 Li-ion cells in the AA models, and avoid using 16340 Li-ion cells with those models intended to run only on a single CR123A primary battery. The 2-CR123A configurations have a maximum input voltage input of 6 volts, intended to be used with either two CR123A primary batteries or a single 4.2 volt Li-ion. The voltage range is clearly printed on all MDC heads to avoid any confusion as to what cells are suitable.

IMO, there are a couple of standouts in this category. The first is the MDC HA 1AA model. Though it's no barn burner, it is perhaps the most useful task light in the category. Able to run on available-anywhere-on-Earth AA alkaline batteries, or lithium primary AA or rechargeable NIMH AA, it is a light that is built like a tank and can be operated on these common cells. Don't let that low setting of just 0.3 lumens fool you, it is an extremely useful setting for close-up administrative tasks with dark-adapted vision.

The other standout in the group is the Bodyguard v.1. A compact yet powerful light, it is rated to run on either a 16340 cell to produce 700 lumens, or on a single CR123A primary to produce 400 lumens. Though it is technically a single mode light, it automatically steps down to around 200 lumens after eight seconds. A quick blip of the switch resets the timer and brings it back to full output. For "flash 'n dash" operation that is typically used in a defensive scenario, the step-down does not come into play. For constant-on operation to navigate a dark street, 200 lumens is more than enough and greatly extends the runtime of the light. It's really a great light to EDC in the bottom of a pocket;

Spoiler Alert - the Bodyguard v.1 head has an acceptable maximum input voltage of 6V. When used with a pair of CR123A cells, its output jumps to over 900 lumens. More on this in the upcoming Lego Build installment.

Mid-sized Malkoff LED Flashlights

These are the Malkoff MD2 (6P size) lights that universally can be operated with either a pair of CR123A primaries or a single 18650 Li-ion cell. While these MD2 lights are (like all Malkoff products) built like tanks and make for superb task lights, they are somewhat underwhelming performance-wise compared to similarly-sized competitive products. There is, however, one exception to that statement and is a superb choice for a fight light - the MD2-M61HOT model. Rated at 740 lumens and 20,000 lux, this light is a top-choice for a defensive light. Due to the high current draw, the light is intended to be used only with a single 18650 Li-ion cell.

With the addition of either a SF twisty or clicky tailcap and the use of an IMR 18650 cell (needed to fit in the reduced battery compartment length by using the SF tailcap), you can have a light that is only 4-3/4" AOL yet performs like a larger light. This is IMO a really fantastic light as a turnkey option that can be made even better with just a touch of Lego-ing;

A honorable mention in both the small and midsize categories is the MDC Bodyguard v.2. As a turnkey option, the more powerful v.2 head is placed on a unique E-series size body that can hold a single 18650 cell or a pair of CR123A primaries, which provides for longer runtimes vs. the v.1 turnkey version. The unique body does add considerable length to the light, making it a half-inch longer than the MD2 Lego above. At over 1,000 lumens (and 250 lumens after the 8-second step down to low) the beam provides a nice balance of throw and spill. Unofficially, the v.2 head produces about 12,000 lux making it very suitable as a fight light. But the real value of the Bodyguard v.2 is using the head for some interesting Lego builds - more on that in the next installment.

Large Malkoff LED Flashlights

Though none of the large Malkoff turnkey lights are ideal for EDC, they are nonetheless very sturdy and capable lights suitable for belt carry. The Hound Dog lights are throw oriented with most of the lumens focused in the central hotspot. The reflector-based XM-L and 18650 models have smooth beams with plenty of spill, while the Wildcat v.6 uses a frosted TIR lens to create a wide, even wall of light (high lumens, low lux).

The standout in the group is the barn-burning Hound Dog Super, which is rated at 1,700 lumens and 75,000 lux. It carries well on a belt using a Maglight C-cell light carrier, and is perhaps the ultimate fight light: 75,000 lux to the eyes (dark adapted or not) is a stunning experience. The light itself (as in typical Malkoff fashion) is built like a hammer, the large head making it a very effective striking tool. In turnkey configuration the HD Super is offered only on the long MD4 body, which provides about an hour of runtime on a pair of 18650 cells. My HD Super is a Lego build using the MD3 body and a pair of 18500 cells, which still provides full output but with reduced runtime (about 35 minutes). It is well balanced for one hand operation (with or without a pistol);

A Gene Malkoff story - in one phone conversation with Gene, he told me of a LEO from the northeast who had contacted him about a broken lens in his HD XM-L as a result of it being used to break out a windshield. Gene offered to replace the lens free-of-charge so the LEO shipped the light back to him. Upon receiving the light Gene told me it looked like it had been through a war; beat up, the head dented, most of the anodizing scratched off the entire light. Even Gene was amazed that other than the easily-replaced broken lens, the light functioned perfectly. Wanting to keep the beat-up light to add to his collection, Gene offered the LEO a new HD XM-L entire light as a replacement, which was gladly accepted.

Next installment will get to the real meat-and-potatoes of the Malkoff line of products - Lego builds!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-23-2019 at 09:39 AM.

I will admit to being one of those who prefers to purchase complete lights from the Malkoff line with the exception of the drop-in or heads specifically for use with my old Surefire lights. While I could definitely get by with fewer lights, each one has its niche and each is a joy to own and operate.

The following image will give you a size comparison between several lights in the Malkoff line.

Name:  malkoff family 3.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  75.4 KB

L-R: Hound Dog, Wildcat, Hound Dog 18650, Surefire 6z with Malkoff lamp, Surefire E2e with Malkoff Scout head, MDC 2AA, MDC 16650, MDC AA

Name:  spydie police malkoff BG2.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  75.2 KB

Bodyguard v.2 w/ Spyderco Police 4

Name:  Malkoff Bodyguard 1.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  72.1 KB

Bodyguard v.1 w/ Surefire E2e
    Last edited by blues; 11-23-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List