Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-things Malkoff Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I think I need to try this. Is that paracord finger lanyard ziptied to the body? The Malkoff grip ring is perfect for a Rogers grip but a complete PITA to put in or remove from my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    I think I need to try this. Is that paracord finger lanyard ziptied to the body? The Malkoff grip ring is perfect for a Rogers grip but a complete PITA to put in or remove from my pocket
    Yep. That’s how I do it. I don’t like the ring either.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Let me just say this right now - this light rocks!

The MD3-M91T is in most ways identical to the MD2-M61HOT discussed above: the heads are the same, the M61HOT regulated to run in the 3.4 to 6 volt range, the M91T runs in the 5.5 to 12 volt range. The specs for both lumens and lux are to all intents and purposes the same.

While the M61HOT is optimized for a single 18650 Li-ion cell, the M91T can be run with both CR123A primaries (three in a MD3 body, four in a MD4 body) or a pair of 18500 Li-ion cells. This power-flexible head can also run on a single 18650 Li-ion cell in a MD2 body at slightly reduced output.

Along with being able to run on CR123A primaries (not recommended with the M61HOT), the M91T normally rides on a 9P-size MD3 body. Many (including myself) find the MD3 length preferable for getting and maintaining a tight grip on. Additionally, with a bit of flashlight sticking out from both sides of the hand, it can serve as a viable impact tool.

Here is the list of parts needed to put an all-Malkoff MD3-M91T Lego fight light together;

In this configuration with the two 18500 protected cells, the M91T will run full power (no reduction in output) for approximately 80 minutes before the cell protection circuit cuts in to prevent over-discharge. The light will not shut off instantly, but will go from full output to zip over the course of a few minutes. Running three primaries will provide roughly 30 minutes of full output runtime, but then with a slow, gradual decrease in output that will extend for hours.

Set up this way with the Malkoff straight tailcap (McClicky switch), the light will measure 6-5/8" long and look like this (M91B head shown);

No wanty a McClicky? Once again, the Surefire Z41 twisty tailcap to the rescue. Pick up a twisty off ebay and purchase a pair of these IMR 18500 flat top cells to fit in the reduced-length battery compartment. Remove any rings from the body extender kit (if used). Three CR123A primaries will still fit just fine!

Here is this bad boy with the SF Z41 twisty installed, measuring only 6-1/8" long;

Caveats to this set up;

1. Runtime will be reduced to about 45 minutes
    2. The light will give no indication the cells are approaching an over-discharge state. You will need to be cognizant of your light use and get in the habit of charging the cells regularly, especially after extended use.

This is a seriously kick-ass set up. It checks all the fight light check boxes and then some. @HALO51 has been running the all-Malkoff version on the job and thus far has indicated he is very pleased.

Final installment in the fight light series will be the totally over-the-top MD3-HD Super, the pinnacle of fight lights!
    After consulting with @ NH Shooter via email, phone calls, explaining what I needed in a light, @ NH Shooter provided info on a couple of options. I decided upon the MD3-M91T. I've used it daily for 3 weeks (High Risk Entry on Search Warrants/EV) work as well as EDC in left rear pocket and couldn't be more pleased with a light that provides overwhelming illumination upon entry to secure a location.

On one occasion, I illuminated one target @ approximately 10' kept light on target until target was secured, suspect later complained of intense headache & loss of temporary vision. Medic later cleared him, but target commented that the light was "unnecessary" The intense "white light" the MD3-M91T is also very durable as a "compliance tool" as well.

I've used many popular brands throughout the years, and none have accomplished what this set-up provides. I highly recommend the Malkoff Device to anyone that demands "performance" in a light. My many thanks to @ NH Shooter for his patience, passion, in-depth intricate knowledge of illumination devices, batteries, communication, willingness to go the extra mile to accommodate my needs.

I call @ NH Shooter the "Master of Illumination" when I speak to him and I was quite impressed when @ NH Shooter stated he wanted to initiate a program to raise money to outfit his local Police Dept with Malkoff Devices after observing an officer in his hometown using a "not ready for duty light"

I'll be honest, the willingness to start a program like this is very thoughtful to say the least. I'll sure contribute to this cause, because I stake my life on this light daily, have seen first hand the benefits of real world use & strongly endorse the Malkoff.

Many on this forum have contributed as well "BillSWPA, Blues, Clusterfrack" to name a few with their knowledge/input.

Quote Originally Posted by HALO51 View Post
    I call @ NH Shooter the "Master of Illumination" when I speak to him...
    That's going to stick. :-)

Glad to have been of help HALO51, I have great respect for those who go in harms way everyday to keep us, our towns and cities safe. Thanks for sharing some of your work experience with me, it gave me better insight into the risks and challenges LE face.

Yes, our little town here in NH feels like Mayberry, and I suspect they have about the same size budget as well. I met our chief of police a few years ago at a car show (he has a very clean '65 Corvette) and I pan on getting with him to discuss if such a donation is possible. If it's within the rules, Ill get a quote from Gene and start a GoFundMe campaign to raise the needed funds. It seems the least I can do.

Beam Shots

Another installment, this one to give an idea of what the beam profiles look like for some of the lights discussed.

Caveat: the camera does not tell the entire story as it cannot capture the same range of contrast as human vision. So in that sense, these beam shots should in themselves not be considered as the absolute truth in rendering a light's performance, especially for judging spill. Because of this, I will add my own observations in each of the photo captions.

Photos taken with a Canon 50D DSLR, 17-40/4L set at 17, tripod and manual exposure settings retained for all photos. I set exposure using the M91T. Target is 21 feet away.

Photo 1 - MD3/M91T

This light is rated at 750 lumens (900 momentary) and 19,000 lux, featuring a TIR lens. The photo depicts the broad, brilliant hot spot well but does not capture the spill accurately. In actual use, the outer edge of the spill is extremely wide, I'd estimate 160 degrees. In a dark environment it is quite useful. This is my go-to fight light: blinding white-light hot spot that is broad enough to not require perfect alignment with the subject with a very useful spill. Note: the MD2-M61HOT is almost identical in performance.

Photo 2 - Bodyguard v.2

This light is rated at 1,000 lumens with an "unofficial" lux rating of 12,000. It features a TIR lens that provides a broad beam with a generous hot spot. The photo captures the qualities of this light quite well: a broader, more diffuse beam than the M91T with not as much center-beam brightness (candela). Mine is set up on a 1-CR123 unshrouded body and rides comfortably in the bottom of a front pocket. This head can also be used on a variety of E-series 2-CR123 bodies as well using a 16650 cell for extended runtime. This is an impressive light for pocket carry.

Photo 3 - MD3-M91B

This light is rated at 1,000 lumens and 8,500 lux. It uses a reflector instead of a TIR lens. As you can see in the photo, this light creates a "wall of light" that is broad and quite even. Compared to the Bodyguard, the lumens are more evenly distributed to the very edge of the spill, though the hot spot is not as bright. This is my go-to walk-the-dogs light due to its useful beam profile. Even on low (using the high/low bezel switch) the light is extraordinarily useful for task use. It is my most used light.

Note: this drop-in can also be used on a single Li-ion cell, on which it will produce about 650 lumens. The actual shut-off voltage is 3V.

Photo 4 - MD2-M61T

This is Malkoff's original "throw" model (thus the T designation) that uses a TIR lens. Compared to the M61HOT and M91T, it's weak sauce but still produces 12,000 lux with useable spill. It also has longer runtime than the standard M61 drop-in.

Photo 5 - MD2-M61

This is actually an older version of the M361 drop-in that features three output levels controlled by the tail switch. This particular version is rated at 400 lumens, which was used for this photo. In actual use, this module looks brighter to me but out of all of the lights shown in this post, it does have the lowest lumen rating. Malkoff does not specify a lux rating for it but it's generally believed to be around 7,000. I'm no fan of blipping the tail switch to control output level, but for a general use task light it works very well. This is my wife's walk-the-dogs light.

Photo 6 - Hound Dog Super

It's pretty lame taking beam shots of this light at only 21 feet against a white garage door, but I figured WTF not. The Hound Dog Super is rated at 1,700 lumens and 75,000 lux. As you can see in the photo, it's mighty effing bright. There is very useable spill, but the camera does a poor job of rendering it. Even zombies wither taking a hit in the eyeballs with this thing.

Photo 7 - Lux/candela Comparison

The purpose of this composite is to judge the lux (or candela) capability of each light. Look at the brightness of the cardboard target, not the gloss-white garage door. Since the target was placed in the middle of the beam for each shot, its reasonably representative of the "brightness" of each light.

Thanks again, NH. That's truly useful data. Once again the BG shines, imho. (Pun partially, but not wholly intended.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The All-things Malkoff Wiki

Prepping for a Multigun night match. I swapped in the BG2 head from my EDC onto my Mini-Scout, with an IMR16340 battery.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

So that light set up all told is about $200 it seems. In line with my Bodyguard V2.

Any reason to not choose the Wildcat V6 (md3 or 4) instead?
    Last edited by newyork; 12-30-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    So that light set up all told is about $200 it seems. In line with my Bodyguard V2.

Any reason to not choose the Wildcat V6 (md3 or 4) instead?
    The Wildcat is a high-lumen, low-lux floodlight - the cool version is rated at 1,600 lumens and 7,000 lux.

At 750 lumens/19,000 lux, the M91T has much higher luminous intensity, meaning it's much brighter to anyone on the business end of the light. Of course, the higher the lux/candela, the further the beam reaches as well.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-01-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you!

User Tag List