Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-things Malkoff Wiki

If the carrier grabs the light by the lower (smaller diameter) part of the head, it should work fine.

Fight Light Lego IV - Hound Dog Super

Sick. Over-the-top. Seriously, WTF???

The Malkoff Hound Dog Super is perhaps the ultimate fight light and/or belt-carried duty light. At 1,700 lumens/75,000 lux it's not only stupid-bright, but built tough enough to withstand the abuse professional LE equipment is often subjected to. It is weapon posing as a flashlight.

Specs from the Malkoff Website

• Head utilizes a 7 degree TIR lens, protected by a shatter-resistant Ultra Clear (AR coated) Acrylic Lens
    • Lux is 75,000 at one meter (cool) and 70,000 (neutral)
    • Cree XP-L LED
    • High/Low Switch installed and ready to go, controlled by head rotation
    • The low output is approximately 80 lumens on two rechargeable Li-ion batteries and 120 lumens on four primary CR123 batteries
    • The On/Off switch is a forward clicky with momentary function.
    • It can use four primary lithium CR123 batteries or two to three Li-ion rechargeable batteries
    • The runtime on high is approximately 1 hour (on high) with two 3400 mah 18650's. Four CR123 primaries will provide about 30 minutes full output runtime.
    • With the MD4 Body it is 8-1/2 inches in length with a 1 inch body diameter and 2.35 inch head diameter

The Hound Dog Super can be purchased as a turnkey light using the MD4 body, or the head can be purchased separately for Lego builds. Here is the turnkey light with straight tailcap with Solarforce lanyard ring and DIY finger lanyard, shown in a Kytex Gear vertical 6P carrier;

For a belt-carried duty light, this is an excellent configuration; an hour of runtime on high, all-night runtime on its very usable 80-120 lumen low setting, and large and robust enough to be used as a serious impact instrument.

Option1 - MD3 Body with Tricap

The HD Super head can be installed on a shorter MD3 body with no sacrifice in output, though full-output runtime will be reduced to just over 30 minutes before the cells' protection circuit turns off the light.

Lego List;

1 - Hound Dog Super head - select "head only" under Body and "none" under Tailcap

1- MD3 body with your choice of tailcaps (Tricap shown below)

1 - Grip ring from the Body Extender Kit (required to fit the long protected cells in the light)

2 - KP 18500 2000mAh protected cells

Here's what you end up with;

Shown with Maglite C-cell belt carrier;

This is my favorite HD Super configuration!

Option 2 - MD3 Body with Surefire Z41 Tailcap

If you're a fan of momentary-only via the button and twist for constant-on, we can Lego as follows;

1 - Hound Dog Super head - select "head only" under Body and "none" under Tailcap

1- MD3 body with your choice of tailcaps

1 - Surefire Z41 twisty tailcap

2 - IMR 18500 1100mAh flat top cells needed due to the reduced battery compartment length from using the SF tailcap, but still deliver the current to maintain its retina-burning capability

Full output runtime is only about 20 minutes with the caveat that the light will give no warning of over-discharging the cells. But you end up with a comparatively compact, easy-to-handle and very wicked fight light;

In my ownership of the HD Super it's definitely not my most-used Malkoff, but the capabilities it brings to the table has earned it a spot in my safe. Considering its intense light output and built-like-a-hammer construction, it has no peer.

I'll be getting the Super Hound Dog with the MD4 body when I do buy it.
    Last edited by Tackleberry40sw; 11-28-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Is there other options for those Surefire 6Ps besides the drop in unit? Can you add a completely different head for even higher output?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Is there other options for those Surefire 6Ps besides the drop in unit? Can you add a completely different head for even higher output?
    There is some expensive custom stuff out there (like Oveready).

FWIW, I'm tempted to do this Lego, seems like it could make for a decent budget fight light;

6P classic complete light

EDC-Plus drop-in

Run it on the 16650 cell of your choice.

Apologies for a bit of drift, but I wanted to thank @Sidheshooter for the mention of the 6P sale at https://tacticalsportsgear.com/colle...-bk-flashlight .

I've got a couple of old skool Z2s (long ago upgraded with Surefire's drop in P60L LED, itself rapidly outclassed and discontinued), but didn't have a 6P body, so I picked one up for grins (breaking a self-imposed moratorium on new knives and flashlights in 2019...almost made it! $34 and free shipping...well, I can resist everything except temptation.). Mine--ordered Sunday--was delivered today, mint condition in sealed Surefire packaging. Batteries dated 2028. Great service by Tacticalsportsgear. Just took it outside for some vintage yellow incan light, and compared to one of my newer LED Surefires. It still does a legit job at 25yds, but it is amazing how far things have come.

Thanks also to @NH Shooter for all the work on this thread. I'll eventually pick out a Malkoff drop in for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    I'll eventually pick out a Malkoff drop in for this thing.
    You’re welcome, brother. And try the Malkoff "warm" low output. Still has an honest 200 lumens, with great throw and dispersion, and even warmer than the original, color-wise. Plus, 5 hours on the 2x123, up from 1,25hr run time.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Name:  7FE93223-FDA0-4729-A713-D8392CE01C3D.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  66.3 KB

Informative thread! As usual this place costs me money 😂

Bodyguard heads on 16650 & cr123 bodies

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    A little tip for running 16340s in the BG 1-cell lights...

Get one of these in CR123 size and put it on your keychain. Then pick up two Efest IMR 16340 700mAh cells, one for the light and one to keep in the locker. These cells are identical in size to a standard CR123 battery so it fits in the locker. This way you always have spare fuel handy, stored in waterproof container.

When it's time for a recharge, rotate the charged cell out of the locker into the light, recharge the cell that came out of the light and place it in the locker.
    Just got a couple of the Country Comm lockers for the CR123. Put the spare 16340 battery (the specific model listed above) in one, and it was a smooth, but snug fit. Too snug, as I then found out it wouldn't come out, regardless of how I shook it, tapped on it, whatever. Eventually, I just drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of the locker and pushed the battery out with a small punch.

I then took a dial caliper and measured the diameter of a CR123 at 0.650", and the 16340 at +/-0.657". The +/- is because at least the two 16340s I measured would not perfectly round, varying from about 0.652" to 0.657". The CR123s fit loosely enough to come out easily.

So, I took a closer look at the 16340s, had an "I hope this is an 'ah-hah' moment", and peeled off the two labels on the Efest battery, and . . . it fits into - - - and out of - - - the locker. Something to watch out for . . .

Unrelated to the battery, but on the light itself: I am something of a fly fishing knot freak, but have only a passing acquaintance with many other knots. I attached a short length of paracord to the light with a clove hitch, and found out it wasn't the best knot for the job, as it worked itself loose. Googled the issue, and found I should have been using the similar looking, but much more secure constrictor knot. Just tossing that out in case there are others with similar knotty issues.

My pair of Efest IMR 16340 cells snugly but come out when I whip-it. My protected cells are a no-go, but regular CR123A batteries drop right in.

BTW, the v.2 version of the Bodyguard will run on low output with a CR123A battery.

User Tag List