Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The All-things Malkoff Wiki

Seems reasonable...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Seems reasonable...
    On the surface sure…except now I must figure out what head to put on the one I don’t “need” because, as my wife is so painfully aware, sending the unwanted one back just isn’t an option!

Quote Originally Posted by CHNEAL View Post
    On the surface sure…except now I must figure out what head to put on the one I don’t “need” because, as my wife is so painfully aware, sending the unwanted one back just isn’t an option!
    I understand completely. A light unfinished is like a void in the universe which needs to be filled. Been there, done that...

I have two others, (large and small Bodyguards), which I didn't have at the time this image was taken...

Name:  malkoff family 3.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  75.1 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Nice collection blues!

Had the opportunity to use the md3-m91t last night and I’ll say I was very impressed! I actually bought this with a certain purpose in mind but seeing how well it carried in my back pocket it may very well find its way into my edc or at least night time edc.
    I used to be a runner but age and the knees of a guy that spent 30 years on ladders and in attics have made me a walker. I walk 5-10 miles every Saturday and Sunday morning and always before the sun rises. Ive been carrying the same HDS or an MDC-sho for many years and they are great lights but i have been wanting much more throw as the foxes and coyotes have become regular visitors to the trails I haunt and I really enjoy seeing them. With my HDS a see a lot of shadows and shining eyes but I want to see more. A bit better throw with the MDC-sho but not enough punch..I love this light!

I really want to like the MD4 body as the added run time with the 2 18650 would be very welcome and if the MD4 had the same knurling as the 3 i would absolutely love it. However its the “ new” style and I believe it will be too slippery with gloves in the winter. So i guess ill return it and start the hunt for an old style MD4 body unless of course someone would be interested in a trade…

Quote Originally Posted by CHNEAL View Post
    I really want to like the MD4 body as the added run time with the 2 18650 would be very welcome and if the MD4 had the same knurling as the 3 i would absolutely love it. However its the “ new” style and I believe it will be too slippery with gloves in the winter. So i guess ill return it and start the hunt for an old style MD4 body unless of course someone would be interested in a trade…
    I find the addition of a grip ring included in this Malkoff kit to be beneficial for gripping/retaining the the light. It can been seen installed between the tailcap and body below;

The wrist lanyard is very helpful for retention as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I find the addition of a grip ring included in this Malkoff kit to be beneficial for gripping/retaining the the light. It can been seen installed between the tailcap and body below;

The wrist lanyard is very helpful for retention as well.
    I have the body extender kit and tried the ring. While it does give a nice purchase while pulling the light from my back pocket where it will be carried, the light is still much to slippery in the heavy winter gloves Ill be wearing when its well below zero here for 4 months. Problem occurs during the transition from pulling vertically from pocket to the horizontal to activate the light. The knurling on the MD3 is perfect for its application.The lanyard would be fine if I planned to keep the light in hand for the 2 hours I’m on the trail but just not interested in that.
    Looks like Ill return the body/switch and batteries and just stick with the MD3 and 18500s. Quite honestly 80 mins of full power run time will be more then I need in any given day. I prefer to walk in the dark as much as possible and only deploy the light to see what I hear…But thank you for the advice and for getting me interested in the MD3/M91T. This thing is amazing!
    Name:  C94ED458-D49F-4EF4-9EDC-AFA5C2D144E6.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  32.1 KB

@NH Shooter

mea culpa…at 0400 this morning as I was about to go for a 10 mile walk I thought to myself that I just shouldn’t be in such a rush to dismiss advice from someone as knowledgeable as you. So I pulled out a couple of well used 18650s, unboxed the about to be returned MD4 body, screwed on the grip ring and M91t head and out the door I went.
    For a bit over three hours this morning I handled it as much as possible. I carried it, stuck it in both front and back pockets to deploy it. It was 33 degrees so I took along a few pairs of gloves I tend to wear and just gave this light a good shake down…I was wrong.
    While the “ pineapple” knurling feels rather smooth in hand it did work rather well with both pairs of gloves and even with my big “ it’s too damn cold to be out here” mittens!
    This body/head combo just became my dedicated walking light. Had 3 wonderful fox sightings and a great view of the backside of a coyote 3 steps behind a rabbit doing Mach 3 across a field.

Thanks for your patient advice.

Clay

Oh, where can I find a good lanyard ring? Might as well go all in!
    Name:  F3DBFF4A-15A3-490E-8C88-3B2A8F1ABC2E.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  56.8 KB

Yesterday I finally got everything together for a Modlite PL350/Malkoff E2XTL Lego. Pics to follow but my initial impression is "holy crap!" in a good way. Huge upgrade over the TLR-3 I've been running on my nightstand pistol for several years.

I did a very unscientific test last night and the center beam (throw? I'm still learning here) lit up the doors of a 2 car garage ~130 yards away to the point that if I was running a LPVO I think it would have been useful for PID.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I think i might have a problem…

I have been a recovering gear junkie for years. Was pretty certain I had it under control. Flashlights have always been a gateway drug for me so this this probably won’t end well.

I knew I had already purchased the last M91T head Malkoff had in stock but I have this damn empty MD3 body just staring at me from across the room so I thought i would just see what my options might be…

Name:  C6DAE05A-1CBC-41A3-AFDB-FFB6B6BC8446.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  23.5 KB

User Tag List