Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 60-1

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Point taken, but the m of my post was to ... "Bring a classic pistol back to it's original form..." I firmly agree, a serviceable set of rubber/poly grips (UMs, Hogues, Hideout...) or something like the excellent VZ Tacticals, is the way to go on a J Frame shooter... I can say from many years of personal experience, I NEVER carried a J Frame as a BUG/Off Duty with Magnas (with or W/O a T-Grip).
    But those Pachmeyer Compac grip are how guns like an adjustable frame J would actually be used, even in its heyday.

As I recall the only guys who ran the factory magnas on J frames were too cheap to buy either rubber grips or a grip adapter and would place a big wad of rubber bands around the top of the grip to fill in the gap behind the trigger guard and keep the gun from sliding down when carried without a holster.

Name:  F55D9826-F82F-4BE8-A343-A04AB44865BF.jpeg
Views: 430
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  431F3E96-B976-4366-8D1C-05575D2C12AB.jpeg
Views: 400
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  5606971C-6885-4AC7-B581-C73AB55B9D5A.jpeg
Views: 446
Size:  31.2 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 11-22-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Site Supporter
    I read here about people carrying standard pressure wadcutters in J frames due to the recoil of +P. Those Pachmayrs go a long way towards using +P comfortably. They add a small amount of size, but are still compact.

They are a bit big for pocket carry, but work for any other carry method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I have a 2” model 60 with adjustable sights. I bought it back in 92? From an El Paso deputy sheriff. I still have it. IIRC S&W made several runs for the sheriff’s association. Many departments back in the revolver era required S&W .38 specials with adj sights. This model was for deputies that stayed in the office all day and wanted as small a gun as they could carry. If I was in their shoes I would have wanted a 2.5” model 66 in 38 special.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Unless of course you want to actually hit anything at speed.

When people actually used revolvers, rubber grips were common. Now that they are ob’jet D’art everyone turns up their nose at them.

J frame magnas only fit small handed freaks like creepy small handed carnival workers and Donald Trump.

The “Goodyear’s” thing conjures visions of Non-shooting Fudds waxing revolvers to preserve the finish and handling them with white cotton gloves.
    Have to agree. Even Magnas on K frames are not as comfortable for me than they used to be. I qual'd with my 3" M64 NY-1 last week and at the end of the course, the base of my thumb was sore. I guess that is the price of getting older. A pair of "Goodyears" will probably go on soon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Have to agree. Even Magnas on K frames are not as comfortable for me than they used to be. I qual'd with my 3" M64 NY-1 last week and at the end of the course, the base of my thumb was sore. I guess that is the price of getting older. A pair of "Goodyears" will probably go on soon.
    I have large hands so a k frame with a Pachmayr style rip adaptor is about as small as I can go and still be effective. K gram and a Tyler adaptor is too small or me.

Site Supporter
    For my medium size hands, I generally prefer an exposed backstrap on a K-frame. However, on a Colt D frame or smaller, I prefer a covered backstrap.

My 1995 Detective Special came with Colt-branded grips that are very similar to the Pachmayr Compaq grips on the revolver discussed here, which was the first gun I carried concealed. I have found that they work very well for their intended purpose.

On K-frame or larger guns, the rubber grips that Uncle Mike's used to sell were ideal - they covered the backstrap but added very little thickness to the backstrap.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 11-22-2019 at 03:19 PM.

One advantage for a wood grips on a J-frame when carried in an ankle holster, they are easier too access. Polyester/wool pants used to grab and stick with rubber pachmayr like grips.

Picked it up and went to the range tonight.

The good news:
    - It cleaned up nicely with minimal effort;
    - It's fairly easy to keep groups inside the black on a B8 at 12 yards.

The bad news:
    - POI is significantly high with both 148 HBWC and 125 RNL, like > 6 inches. Horizontal is good with the rear sight centered.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions on things to check? First time I've had one this far off. Hadn't intended to shoot it a whole lot, but still.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    POI is significantly high with both 148 HBWC and 125 RNL, like > 6 inches. Horizontal is good with the rear sight centered.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions on things to check? First time I've had one this far off. Hadn't intended to shoot it a whole lot, but still.
    Is the rear sight adjusted all the way down? If not, bring an appropriately-sized screwdriver to the range the next time. S&W used to offer different height rear sight blades; I'd check with both the factory and the S&W forum to find out the height of the original blade and if there is a shorter one available. As a last resort, try it with 110-grain loads.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Is the rear sight adjusted all the way down? If not, bring an appropriately-sized screwdriver to the range the next time. S&W used to offer different height rear sight blades; I'd check with both the factory and the S&W forum to find out the height of the original blade and if there is a shorter one available. As a last resort, try it with 110-grain loads.
    Yes, adjusted all the way down at the range. That gets me to aiming at the bottom edge of the paper to hit the center. Will try lighter/faster loads next, need to pick up some 110 grain bullets tonight but pretty sure that won’t be enough to get all the way there.

The rear sight blade may be worth some research.

User Tag List