Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 60-1

S&W 60-1

Found this at the local gun store this morning, a few minutes of research was enough for me to return this afternoon and buy it:

Name:  IMG_2939.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  69.7 KB

Who can tell me more about these? What I'm finding so far suggests the 60-1 was a limited production run, maybe as few as 660 units, with adjustable sights? I'm seeing mid-80s dates so far. Serial number is ALU46xx and of course it's 38 special.

This one isn't pristine but it's character-type wear, as in carried a moderate amount and not fired much. Aftermarket rubber instead of the original magna grips, red paint on the front sight, it's been apart but not much, had to look closely to see the wear on the screw slots.

It's on 10-day wait because California, so it will be a while til I can shoot it.

I just checked the GunDigest Standard Catalog of S&W 4th. Edition... Product Code 102305, 2" barrel wit round butt, adjustable sights. Limited production of 660 units for Ashland Shooters Supply in 1985. That Triple Alpha serial number shows as 1985.Get rid of those atrocious goodyears and find a nice set of OEM round butt Magnas. Nice find.

What a perfect little snubbie! Congratulations! Those Pachmayrs are on there for a reason, don't throw them away, yet! Altamont grips, Spegel grips or VZ grips are good places to look for replacement grips.

S&W Magnas + a Tyler T if you want to go old skool.

Enjoy!

Dig those grips and would be willing to dispose of them.if you want to recycle like a good Californian. Wicked neat snub, by the way.

Site Supporter
    Try the grips before you get rid of them. I think you will find that they work really well.

Nice find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Get rid of those atrocious goodyears and find a nice set of OEM round butt Magnas. Nice find.
    Unless of course you want to actually hit anything at speed.

When people actually used revolvers, rubber grips were common. Now that they are ob’jet D’art everyone turns up their nose at them.

J frame magnas only fit small handed freaks like creepy small handed carnival workers and Donald Trump.

The “Goodyear’s” thing conjures visions of Non-shooting Fudds waxing revolvers to preserve the finish and handling them with white cotton gloves.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-21-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Awesome find! I just picked up the money order for a NOS 60 no dash, and this isn't making the wait any easier. I like the idea of real sights on a snub, and I'm seriously debating sending mine off for work so it ends up like yours (plus a chopped hammer). Let us know how it shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Unless of course you want to actually hit anything at speed.

When people actually used revolvers, rubber grips were common. Now that they are ob’jet D’art everyone turns up their nose at them.

J frame magnas only fit small handed freaks like creepy small handed carnival workers and Donald Trump.

The “Goodyear’s” thing conjures visions of Non-shooting Fudds waxing revolvers to preserve the finish and handling them with white cotton gloves.
    Yeah, magnas don't work for my hands. Pretty but hard for me to shoot well. If I stumble on a set for a good price I'll throw them in the box (with the K-frame magnas I don't use) just to have them, but for actual use it will be something that better fills the hand. The rubber that's on there now actually felt OK in the store.
    Last edited by Salamander; 11-22-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Awesome find! I just picked up the money order for a NOS 60 no dash, and this isn't making the wait any easier. I like the idea of real sights on a snub, and I'm seriously debating sending mine off for work so it ends up like yours (plus a chopped hammer). Let us know how it shoots?
    Will certainly report back on how it shoots. First possible pickup falls on a day when I have all-day RSO duty + just found out I need to train a new RSO, so that will prolong the wait by a day or two.

One bit of luck on this purchase, I got it from a LGS run by a family who knows their guns, it's really rare to find something there that's not marked at or slightly above fair market value. Got this one for about basic Model 60 price because they are backlogged on consignments, stuff still in the safe not priced and on the shelf yet (including a Model 19 I'm told) and apparently they didn't have time to do full research. Would have been more if they knew it was a limited run.
    Last edited by Salamander; 11-22-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

...The “Goodyear’s” thing conjures visions of Non-shooting Fudds waxing revolvers to preserve the finish and handling them with white cotton gloves.
    Point taken, but the point of my post was to ... "Bring a classic pistol back to it's original form..." I firmly agree, a serviceable set of rubber/poly grips (UMs, Hogues, Hideout...) or something like the excellent VZ Tacticals, is the way to go on a J Frame shooter... I can say from many years of personal experience, I NEVER carried a J Frame as a BUG/Off Duty with Magnas (with or W/O a T-Grip).
    Last edited by Det1397; 11-22-2019 at 08:41 AM.

User Tag List