Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VP9 firing pin block design, is it a theoretical safety issue?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    But what if you have scrotal elephantiasis and it's the size of a basketball?
    Then you have more pressing issues to worry about

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    But what if you have scrotal elephantiasis and it's the size of a basketball?
    Reholstering AIWB might be a challenge.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    Preface
    Ever since the VP9 was released I've been weirded out by the striker block design. While I am without a single piece of evidence or inductive reasoning to suggest it can fail, I wouldn't be a true PF member if my neuroses could be suppressed. Now before I get flamed for hating on HK, I've owned many of their pistols over the years without a single issue. I've never even had to drift a sight for POI correction. I've owned three VP9's with a combined 4014 rounds and not a single stoppage. Given my affinity for TDA's I haven't even considered carrying the VP9 although many do carry it and I'm in no position to question that.

Question
    The striker block engages the striker just to the right of the sear. When in battery and under tension, if...and this is a huge if...the striker "nub" were to physically fail this would allow the striker to disengage from both the sear and the firing pin block. Redundancy in design is a good thing, although naturally one wants to incorporate levels of redundancy in distinct areas rather than concentrate them in one spot such as the VP9 appears to do. Other SFA's I've examined appear to block the striker movement in totally different location on the striker, such that it would two highly improbable mechanical failures to discharge. Digging around PF search function I haven't found this specific topic being discussed. Is it something that others have observed or considered? I'm wondering how such design is interpreted or viewed by other PF members with vastly more experience than myself. Thank you in advance.

Picture
    Glock tool pointing towards the striker - sear engagement. the small notch on the R side is where the rotating striker block engages, and where my neuroses congregate.

Attachment 45041
    Yes, I have had a Glock striker completely shear off where the 90° section at the back end contacts the sear. It was on a new gun, and I was told the likely cause was bad heat treating of the part. granted this was on a competitor pistol, but it a real thing that can happen. I have also looked at this part of the vp9 and have an uneasy feeling about this. On the Glock, the firing pin safety acts on a different area of the striker, and it got caught. But if that portion broke on a fully cocked vp9, nothing would have caught the striker.

User Tag List