Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 snubby ported or 357 4” barrel.

357 snubby ported or 357 4” barrel.

Hi all, new guy on the block. So some eye rolling topics. I shoot from a wheelchair and my left arm very weak. So, I am seeing a lot of snobbies with ports coming out. I would expect the muzzle flip to be about the same. I am looking at a new revolver. S/W 686 4” barrel vs S/W 586 L-Comp 3”, ported. Would appreciate any thoughts you guys might have on the subject.

I think that if you are worrying about recoil the correct answer is not to use 357. 38+P Winchester PDX or Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot are super soft shooting in K or L Frames of any barrel length. If it’s got to be a 357 then a low recoil option like Golden Saber or Winchester PDX in a 4 inch L Frame is pretty tolerable.

What are you looking to use it for? They're pretty different guns in some important respects. Are you just thinking about strong hand only shooting performance in general? Does it matter for your application that the L comp is a 7 shooter machined for moon clips?

Just a thought:

When I had only 1 arm fully working, I was glad for a high capacity 9mm Glock 17 etc...

Not as much need to reload. Reloads are easier 1 handed with an semi auto. I have trained 1 hand reloads with both semi autos and revolvers.

For bedside hi-cap semi and a Surefire X400 with a DG switch.

Site Supporter
    I treat all my K frames as .38 specials.

Site Supporter
    I will echo the others here who pointed out that knowing the intended use would go a long way towards proving useful answers.

Also, do the strength issues limit your ability to pull a DA trigger or to manipulate a slide? Either could impact your choices.

Depending on that intended use, a high capacity 9mm semiauto makes a lot of sense. Magazine loading tools are available to make the process of loading magazines easier if that is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Based on my personal experience, "ported" guns are not the same as "compensated" guns like the 586 L-Comp. A compensated revolver will not rise as much in recoil, but will kick just as hard as a non-compensated revolver. My $.02 worth.

Dave

I'm new to this forum, but I am not new to firearms or hand loading ammo in 9mm, .40, .38spl, 357M, and 44M.

My .02 regarding the .357M, a caliber that I have a lot of experience with hand loading and testing, molding my own bullets for, Ect. 357M is impressive through longer bores than through shorter ones. In fact it is nothing special out of a short barrel....

If you're a hunter or specifically have a need to shoot through thick hard barriers then the .357 Magnum will get the job done through the longer barrel in a "true magnum" loading. Real 357 Magnum loads are stout and out of a short barrel will throw a fireball with all of the slower unburned powder exiting the muzzle, this equates to wasted energy and more of a light show. If one uses the .357M rounds designed for shorter barrels, it isn't actually true .357M power,, a quality .38spl will do just as well.

If close self defense is the mission and target shooting fun or practice, I suggest a quality .38spl revolver with a 2" barrel. With the quality modern ammo availability today like "Underwood or Corbon" ((for examples here, there are others)), you would be well armed with a good .38spl revolver, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it because it would be devastating. That's my own opinion regarding the mission of defense at close quarters.

I'm not against anybody buying a .357M if that's what they want, I like the round and I believe in it,,,,, with the "longer barrels" 6 inches or more,,,, you can shoot .38spl ammo in a .357M chambered revolver also. I prefer a revolver size chambered in .38spl.

That wasn't a real answer to your actual question, but I felt it was worth making the point.

A thought to consider, A 3" length barrel ported? It might only be 2" of actual bore to build pressure in, then the last approximate inch may be port only, have you looked to be sure? If it must be one of the two you asked about, my .02 is go 4" if it's got to be .357M.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRBvMzKZEFY

Site Supporter
    The 586 L-Comp, and the newer M19 Carry Comp both have effective barrel lengths of 2.5" with the comp making up the last .5" of their stated 3" barrels.

Dave

When I was looking at a ported gun that was in the used cabinet, some time back, I remember looking at Youtube (don't remember the search terms).
    One reason I decided against it, was in one of the videos, there was talk about having to shoot to your side, while seated (in a vehicle in the video, but a wheelchair would be similar). The gases, and if ever a bad batch of bullets, the possibility of fragments going back at the shooter. Made me think great for range/fun, but I am not so sure about a carry piece.

User Tag List