Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 snubby ported or 357 4” barrel.

I carried a 4” 681PC Quad-Port as a duty weapon for a number of years. It saw a lot of Federal 357B. The muzzle did stay flatter but the gun came straight back into the hand. The flaming V was very noticeable during low light. It did not bother me but totally threw my coworkers off their game.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    L-frames are not featherweights. That could be an issue, too.

The problem we all have here is that we don't know the OP's intended uses. If the OP intends to shoot matches with the gun, porting could be an issue.

(A wheelchair combat shooting match would be freaking awesome.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ856 View Post
    If one uses the .357M rounds designed for shorter barrels, it isn't actually true .357M power,, a quality .38spl will do just as well.
    [/B]
    Thats really not true. Especially in 3" barrels or under. .357 from 2-3" barrels can easily push a quality defensive bullet 1100-1300fps. In a k frame they are easy to shoot as well.

A lot of .38 jhp from 2" barrels struggle to perform.

My wifes 2" M15 is loaded with 130gr +p winchester rangers because its phenomenonly accurate. Swc would probably be better but i keep those around for my 4" guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    L-frames are not featherweights. That could be an issue, too.

The problem we all have here is that we don't know the OP's intended uses. If the OP intends to shoot matches with the gun, porting could be an issue.

(A wheelchair combat shooting match would be freaking awesome.)
    Closest I got

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    A lot of .38 jhp from 2" barrels struggle to perform.
    There is quality .38spl that doesn’t struggle from a snub barrel (Underwood for only one example).

From my experience, respectfully saying here, regarding the capabilities of 357M. 1,100-1,200 FPS with a 125gr or lighter weight projectile is not true 357Magnum power. It’s adequate power perhaps for an intended purpose, but not beyond what some other calibers deliver.

A 158gr bullet weight @ 1,400-1,700 FPS (generally speaking) is true 357 magnum power, which isn’t achievable through any 3”. In that respect and comparison, my comment was very true.

I would expect the K frame does do very well for you, they’re incredible revolvers ,,
    Last edited by Russ856; 11-24-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRBvMzKZEFY

There is quality .38spl that doesn’t struggle from a snub barrel (Underwood for only one example).

From my experience, respectfully saying here, regarding the capabilities of 357M. 1,100-1,200 FPS with a 125gr or lighter weight projectile is not true 357Magnum power. It’s adequate power perhaps for an intended purpose, but not beyond what some other calibers deliver.

A 158gr bullet weight @ 1,400-1,700 FPS (generally speaking) is true 357 magnum power, which isn’t achievable through any 3”. In that respect and comparison, my comment was very true.

I would expect the K frame does do very well for you, they’re incredible revolvers ,,
    There are a few good jhp but even the best aren't that consistent in the fbi tests.

Those .357 light loads are absolutely not loaded to the cartridges potential but are loaded to a sweet spot in interpersonal loads. Walking in the woods its easy to push 158gr swc hardcast at 1250fps+ in 2-3" barrels.

My point wasn't that snub .357s could maximize the cartidge potential but that there is still a performance gap between .38 and .357s given equal barrel lengths.

What length barrel are you getting 1700fps? I get 1800 in my 20" m92.

Smile

OP I really like 4" revolvers but that 586 L comp is nice looking. Maybe the shorter barrel will make a difference for your use(s) but either way if I had an arm strength issue, I would for sure experiment with various grips/stocks so's to have maximum control of the gun strong hand.
    But if the extra inch of barrel didn't cause me drawing problems (shoulder range of motion, etc) I would be in 4" land ported or not.

Those .357 light loads are absolutely not loaded to the cartridges potential
    So my statement on 357M was true and I agree with you.

It’s OK, we can disagree on .38spl....

To answer your question, 125gr jacketed through 7.5” Uberti 1,630-1,670 FPS with my hand loads. 1,450 with 158gr SWC hand poured wheel weight lead, extreme accuracy. I no longer buy manufactured ammo and haven’t in a long time. Buffalo Bore has some interesting test data to read with various barrels if you want to look it up..

So my statement on 357M was true and I agree with you.

It’s OK, we can disagree on .38spl....

To answer your question, 125gr jacketed through 7.5” Uberti 1,630-1,670 FPS with my hand loads. 1,450 with 158gr SWC hand poured wheel weight lead, extreme accuracy. I no longer buy manufactured ammo and haven’t in a long time. Buffalo Bore has some interesting test data to read with various barrels if you want to look it up..
    Oh, i could see 125 going that fast. You originally wrote 158 at 1700fps.

" If one uses the .357M rounds designed for shorter barrels, it isn't actually true .357M power,, a quality .38spl will do just as well"

I still haven't seen any .38s as good as any .357 light, underwood, buffalo bore or otherwise. Especially around barriers.

You originally wrote 158 at 1700fps.
    Sigh, LOL... OK, I corrected what I actually said for you, here's what I actually stated:

A 158gr bullet weight @ 1,400-1,700 FPS (generally speaking) is true 357 magnum power, which isn’t achievable through any 3”. In that respect and comparison, my comment was very true. (Look back and you'll see that's what I stated, no other claims attached to those velocities other than not from a 3")..

It was a general statement for "example" regarding 357M power. I love the caliber...............

I really have nothing to prove here and I did not invent any cartridge or gun, I hand load using science done already by others who are the experts, but I'm very decent at hand loading quality rounds,,,,, just gave my .02 of opinion to the OP and I wish him success with his choice, take that for what it's worth.

I do chronograph test my stuff, I don't do FBI gel testing, not interested in it, don't test store bought ammo and don't care to. I've watched some videos of others putting a lot of effort into store bought ammo testing, read some of it, it's interesting.

I have seen carnage up close and personal including crime scene and still do see it more than I want to now. I've seen Gold Dot HP after being pulled from bodies that barely have opened but there are videos where they do phenomenal in gel block videos. I have not worked a scene yet involving a gel block. Looked at death up close and personal from the smallest of rounds. What is doing "as good", bullet speed?? Expansion in gel block?? Stopping an adversary?? Stopping an attacker?? Softer shooting??

Just saying ones opinion of good will differ from another and in the end who wins the debate, the bullet scientist or the another? Not true, is true??

Again I posted a variance of 300 FPS without claiming what barrel length is necessary, nothing to be "not true" about that statement, you said you've seen 1,800 through a barrel length I've never tried. OK, great!

My original post stands as my opinion, I respect yours.

User Tag List