Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staking Glock Front Sight Screw

Quote Originally Posted by earlan357 View Post
    Rocksette can withstand high temps, but you'll need a torch to remove it.
    That has not been my experience. I've been able break the Rocksett on my Glock front sights when changing from tritium to fiber optic with just the hex nut driver. Similarly I've never needed to heat any parts to remove set screws from gas blocks or even muzzle devices when the Rocksett is applied in reasonable quantity. Since Rocksett withstands temperatures up to 1500 or even 2015 degrees F per their product description, I wouldn't expect a torch to be very helpful unless applied to the extent that it could also cause damage to the sights or slide.

I usually use blue, and I degrease the hell out of everything - plus I float the sight base in Loctite. I’ve never had a front come loose, even back in my high volume competition days.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I do not like to use the "color codes" for threadlocking compounds, preferring to select by application. Dawson recommends Loctite 262 for screw-on sights, but 263 is better and does not need a primer. 262 needs a primer and is not as resistant to oils as 263. My experience with 263 has been positive when I follow the instructions, fixture for ten minutes (for Glock front sights this means keep applying torque) and let cure for twenty-four hours. They follow.

1. Clean all threads (bolt and nut) with a cleaner.
    2. If necessary, spray all threads with LOCTITE® Primer. Allow to dry. 263 does not need a primer, so this step can be skipped for 263. Primer is required for 262.
    3. Insert bolt into thru hole assembly.
    4. Apply several drops of liquid threadlocker onto bolt at targeted, tightened nut engagement area.
    5. Assemble and tighten nut as usual.
    6. Torque for ten minutes. This is a PITA but makes the difference. If you cannot do ten minutes, do as much as you can. 262 really benefits from this, but 263 is also better with it.
    7. Wipe off any excess.
    8. Let cure for twenty-four hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

To the OP, I would NOT try to peen the screw head.
    GJM has a good suggestion: contact Dawson for replacement. Could be little threads are damaged.
    Then I’d degrease and use plenty of blue Loctite or Vibratite-to include the base as someone mentioned...

I've had success with putting loctite or super glue on the bolt head in addition to loctite on the threads

With that said I have probably just jinx'ed myself and expect to lose my front sights now

Clean, apply Blue Loctite to base of sight and screw threads. Wait 24 hours before shooting and you should be GTG.
    If you decide to use Red Loctite and need to change the sights a hair dryer will soften the Loctite and you can unscrew it without breaking anything.
    I do not use Red Loctite unless the owner of the pistol wants it. Having worked on more than 100 Glocks I keep plenty of both on hand.

In the many hundreds of thousands of rounds I've put through Glocks I've only ever had one front sight come loose so its definitely a thing.

What I will say is that Dawson uses pretty soft steel in their sights. I would contact them and get a replacement as I dont believe "glue" via loctite is the long term solution.

User Tag List