Thread: Vortex magnifer: new vs old?

Vortex magnifer: new vs old?

I've been shooting more rifle lately and am thinking about putting a magnifier behind my dot. Most of the matches I shoot are 100 yards and in with intermittent 200-300

I'm looking at the vortex magnifies and wondering about the differences. Aside from the better(?) mount and the size is there a big advantage in the micro?

Is the micro noticeably better as far as glass clarity or eye box/relief? Should I consider looking at the holosun?

I don't have experience with the new Vortex Micro 3x magnifier, but I had the older generation and now the Holosun 3x magnifier. The Holosun is definitely nicer than the previous generation of Vortex magnifier. The Holosun QD mount, flip-to-side without a button, and eye relief are way nicer features than the old Vortex. Glass clarity seems to be about the same with perhaps slightly less blue/gree tint. The only concern I see with the new Vortex magnifier is that it's so short, that even when placed as far back on an AR top rail, the ocular lens doesn't get as close to the shooter's eye as others. Essentially that means that the already limited eye relief is now even shorter due to the physical design of the magnifier. With the Holosun I can use a proper stock LOP and not crane my neck forward, but I don't see that being possible with the Vortex Micro. I suppose if you shoot nose-to-charging handle it might work or have the stock fully collapsed, but I personally don't shoot like that.
    Last edited by dfeder530; 11-20-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Yeah I was a little worried about needing to get too close with the Micro. I'm 6'4 and definitely not trying to scrunch up on the gun. I've heard once or twice that the Holosun mount is a bit soft and loose with the articulation, whats your experience been?

Quote Originally Posted by dfeder530 View Post
    I don't have experience with the new Vortex Micro 3x magnifier, but I had the older generation and now the Holosun 3x magnifier. The Holosun is definitely nicer than the previous generation of Vortex magnifier. The Holosun QD mount, flip-to-side without a button, and eye relief are way nicer features than the old Vortex. Glass clarity seems to be about the same with perhaps slightly less blue/gree tint. The only concern I see with the new Vortex magnifier is that it's so short, that even when placed as far back on an AR top rail, the ocular lens doesn't get as close to the shooter's eye as others. Essentially that means that the already limited eye relief is now even shorter due to the physical design of the magnifier. With the Holosun I can use a proper stock LOP and not crane my neck forward, but I don't see that being possible with the Vortex Micro. I suppose if you shoot nose-to-charging handle it might work or have the stock fully collapsed, but I personally don't shoot like that.

I don't have any hard use with it, but it does take a conscious effort to switch it over to the side and back. The tension of the flip to side mount appears to be a non-adjustable flat piece of spring metal though so there could be some variation. I wouldn't think it would flip over on its own unless you really bang it around hard, in which case I'd probably be more worried about my optic zero over the magnifier flipping.

User Tag List