Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: P320 Paying lawyers must be cheaper than a recall

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Around $200 per pistol. I've read $180 and $207 per unit.

That can't be much of a pistol at that price but at least it's cheap to shoot.
    How much do you think it costs a giant corporation to manufacture a polymer framed pistol once the production lines are fully operational? I bet all the popular ones cost about the same to produce, even the ones you like.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Around $200 per pistol. I've read $180 and $207 per unit.

That can't be much of a pistol at that price but at least it's cheap to shoot.
    Yeah, but the pistol doesn’t cost that much to make. Production cost is somewhere under $100. They are supplying other stuff with the gun.

As Dan M stated, all the striker fired plastic people poppers cost about the same to make.

Site Supporter
    Any idea what it costs Beretta to make a 92fs?

Also would be interesting to know how much it costs Wilson to make their most basic 1911.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I like the P250. If the P365 had a P250 action, I'd have two.
    If the P250 was still made, it would be my go to gun. I just don’t like using guns out of production as my main carry piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Story I heard was SIG sold the M17 for $.75 over cost.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Story I've heard only FCU and mags were considered a gun. Everything else are separate line items.

Too many stories, too few facts.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It is also apparent that many people don’t understand just how low the cost is on Glock’s and other striker fired polymer guns. I’ve heard various figures running from $40-$75. Either way it cost less than 100 to make almost all of these. SIG was willing to either break even or past make minimal profit compared to their competitors in order to secure the US military contract. In the long run it is likely a very smart move.
    You're right, Sig is going to sell a lot of guns because of that US Military contract. Additionally, people don't understand is how much companies like Sig and Glock spend on marketing and how that impacts unit cost. On pistols headed for retail channels it wouldn't surprise me if 25-30% of the final cost is built in specifically to fund marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I already told her if they give her a choice take the M4.
    You mean the M9?

The other bothersome part is police departments that buy the 320 because it’s cheap are not the agencies that provide a lot of training. They will do only the bare minimum of training required by law. If you have poor training you need all the help you can get.
    Where exactly are you reading/hearing this? In DOI we have 3-4 full day trainings each year just for handgun, and we issue out 100rds of handgun ammo a month for individual training. Some of our guys shoot competition, and get additional special team training. We are in a slow process of transitioning from classic DA/SA Sigs, for P320s. We've been fielding the P320s for a couple of years now, and so far they have been better overall guns for us than our classic Sigs which we have been using since 1992. I have trained with a number of other Federal agencies(some with bigger firearms budgets than DOI) that have made the move to the P320, and the reception from the instructor staff is similar to our experiences with Glocks. I'm content with our agency switch to the P320, just as I would have been equally content if we had switched to Glock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    You're right, Sig is going to sell a lot of guns because of that US Military contract. Additionally, people don't understand is how much companies like Sig and Glock spend on marketing and how that impacts unit cost. On pistols headed for retail channels it wouldn't surprise me if 25-30% of the final cost is built in specifically to fund marketing.
    I recall Ernest Langdon quoting Ken Hackathorn to the effect that “there are two types of gun companies, those that build good guns, and those that market well.” And something to the effect that the two will never intersect.

Site Supporter
    I think the biggest thing that bothers me about the army buying the 320 is that my daughter might get one on a deployment. I already told her if they give her a choice take the M4. The other bothersome part is police departments that buy the 320 because it’s cheap are not the agencies that provide a lot of training. They will do only the bare minimum of training required by law. If you have poor training you need all the help you can get.
    The biggest thing that should bother you is the abysmal state of pistol training in most of the Army. It makes the state minimums for LEOs look high speed.

If it’s an actual shooting war take an M4. Given the current train and advise state of most current military ops, a pistol is preferable given the rates of green on blue and blue on blue incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    How much do you think it costs a giant corporation to manufacture a polymer framed pistol once the production lines are fully operational? I bet all the popular ones cost about the same to produce, even the ones you like.

I wouldn't know.

I was never in the arms manufacturing business.

I do manufacture my own ammo however.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List