Thread: Glock 33 round magazine - action will not close

Glock 33 round magazine - action will not close

Pistol is a Gen 4 G19. If I insert my loaded Glock brand 33 round mag and try to chamber a round, the action of the pistol will not close. It's not stuck on the slide lock but looks like it stuck partially open from the top round / mag. The magazine is seated properly prior to me doing this. If I simultaneously push up on the mag and pull and release the slide, a round will chamber. But when I then manually pull the slide back to eject the first round and then let it go to chamber the second, the action gets stuck open again. Regular size Glock brand magazines work just fine so I don't think it's a pistol issue. The 33 round mag is normally stored fully loaded. I don't really use it but just have it ready to go for home defense. It's worked without issue in the past. Of course I will be swapping it out until I get this issue resolved.

Any idea what the problem could be? Mag spring? I also wouldn't rule out "user error" as I could be overlooking something simple. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    This event appears to be caused by upward spring pressure. This concern has caused me not to add a round after chambering the first round in a magazine. Most would say that I am too cautious. For you an obvious procedure is to try another 33 rd mag in your weapon and to try your mag in another weapon. Even after correcting the issue, you might consider downloading the 33 rd by 2 rounds.

Is there any chance that your magazine is an Asian substitute sold as the real thing? They look the same.

User Tag List