Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More trade-in Model 10's

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I've spent the past few summers prowling gun shops, gun shows, and the like looking for that sort of thing, and have yet to come across any nice quality .357 mags for $499.

If I did, I would be ecstatically crowing about it here, that's for sure.

What I'm seeing is bog standard Model 10's for $450, and others (14s, 15s, 19s) for $600 or more.

N frames hover around $800.

Now, that's at multiple gunshops on an almost weekly basis during the summers.

The days of the $200 Model 10 are as done and finished as the days of the $90 Mosin Nagants.
    I felt like $600 for a Trooper Mk.III was a good price. Sub-$500 .357 pretty much means a Taurus or Charter in my neck of the woods.

Or maybe a SP-101.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 11-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I think you are missing my point completely. I am more than happy to pay $350-$600 for 40-70 year old American made revolvers. Correct me if my numbers are wrong but didn't S&W make around 7 million model 10/M&P 38 revolvers. They were the Glocks of their time. These revolvers will never see a significant increase in value in the lifetime of anyone posting here. These are $250 guns tops but I remember Beanie Babies selling for more than that and PT Barnum had a saying. I would much rather spend my money on a very finely finished and hand assembled/fitted 357 Magnum with less than 15,000 produced in excellent or better condition for $499 than a Good-Very good condition Model 10 38 Special with thousands of rounds through the barrel and holster wear for $379.
    Tou can’t shoot someone in the face with a beanie baby.

A K frame is a obselecent, but not obsolete. It still has values as a tool not just as a collectible.

This is Pistol Forum, for “students and teachers of the art of the pistol,” not a collectors forum. I buy guns to shoot. I don’t care if it appreciates. That is an issue for my heirs.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-21-2019 at 10:59 PM.

I've spent the past few summers prowling gun shops, gun shows, and the like looking for that sort of thing, and have yet to come across any nice quality .357 mags for $499.

If I did, I would be ecstatically crowing about it here, that's for sure.

What I'm seeing is bog standard Model 10's for $450, and others (14s, 15s, 19s) for $600 or more.

N frames hover around $800.

Now, that's at multiple gunshops on an almost weekly basis during the summers.

The days of the $200 Model 10 are as done and finished as the days of the $90 Mosin Nagants.
    $90 Mosin? That's what PT Barnum would have sold them for. Heck I paid $50 in 1993 for an unissued Finnish M1891 Mosin from Century Arms and I felt Century got the better part of that deal. No way would I even think about buying one of the well worn Russian examples from AIM for $379. Not when I have purchased a very good condition Enfield No.4 for $350 and an absolutely beautiful 1893 Swedish Mauser for $499, both within the last 6 months.

Here are 5 finely made American revolvers all purchased for $499 or less out the door. From Left to right: Colt 357 purchased 2 weeks ago for $499(included vintage Tyler T Grip and a trigger shoe, missing the ejector rod head, the gunshop ordered a replacement free of charge), Colt Trooper 357 (purchased 2 years ago), Colt 357 (purchased in 2012 for $265), Dan Wesson Model 15 8 inch (Purchased this year), Dan Wesson 6 inch, Purchased 2017. I find that if I am selective with my purchases I have the ability to take advantage of deals when I see them and pay cash. It pays to be a skin flint.

Here is one more. WW II Beretta M1934 380 pistol, GI war capture, no import marks. $299 out the door purchased Sunday. Those gun dealers see you coming. Be savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Tou can’t shoot someone in the face with a beanie baby.

A K frame is a obselecent, but not obsolete. It still has values as a tool not just as a collectible.

This is Pistol Forum, for “students and teachers of the art of the pistol,” not a collectors forum. I buy guns to shoot. I don’t care if it appreciates. That is an issue for my heirs.
    I absolutely agree with you on pretty much all points. That is why I am making the point that as a tool at $400ish there are better options out there. I just checked overpriced Gunbroker and even they have multiple used Ruger six shot DA 38 special revolvers in much better condition for $400 or less. I am making the similar point that as a collectable there are better choices in that price range unless you happen to get one with really interesting department markings. I would like to own a Model 10 again but not at that price point in that condition.

The past is another country.
    "They do things differently there."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The past is another country.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    "They do things differently there."
    Drift alert. "Another Country" (Cooper) is one of my favorite books.
    Last edited by Jamie; 11-22-2019 at 08:34 AM.

I've heard of the $50 Mosin, but have never ever ever seen one.
    Must have been before my time.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Then there was the time I bought the Amnesty List G Series FN FAL for $225 but that's a story for another day.

Site Supporter
    I would LOVE an HKPD marked Model 10, or any other tapered-barrel Model 10, really. I want an S&W 360J for similar reasons. Wheel guns still in wide department use in other countries just fascinate me for some reason. But I lust for an MR73 simply because firing one of those made a serious impression on me with how accurate and finely made they are.

In the summer of 2000, I bought a Mosin 91/59 for $80 and it came with a free 440rnd spam can of ammo - worth about $40 at the time. I was 18 and that's what I could afford. I bought a lot of other Mosins for $80-150 each, but I sold most of them at a decent profit. I still have the 91/59 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Then there was the time I bought the Amnesty List G Series FN FAL for $225 but that's a story for another day.
    The above revolvers and Beretta were all nice scores - but a G series FAL for $225 is straight up theft. I am jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I would LOVE an HKPD marked Model 10, or any other tapered-barrel Model 10, really. I want an S&W 360J for similar reasons. Wheel guns still in wide department use in other countries just fascinate me for some reason. But I lust for an MR73 simply because firing one of those made a serious impression on me with how accurate and finely made they are.

In the summer of 2000, I bought a Mosin 91/59 for $80 and it came with a free 440rnd spam can of ammo - worth about $40 at the time. I was 18 and that's what I could afford. I bought a lot of other Mosins for $80-150 each, but I sold most of them at a decent profit. I still have the 91/59 though.

The above revolvers and Beretta were all nice scores - but a G series FAL for $225 is straight up theft. I am jealous!
    I don't think the seller knew anything about or even liked firearms, sounded like an inherited gun. I knew it was a FN but had no idea it was an amnesty list Gseries FAL until I got home from the FFL and did some research. Boy was I surprised.

User Tag List