Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: More trade-in Model 10's

My how times have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    The Roses store in Ashland, VA had a rain barrel full of Mosins for $39.95 each about thirty years ago. Finnish too, I think.
    Still didn’t buy one (or two)😞...

A couple of life observations with firearms. Decades ago the local Roses here in northeastern NC had old bolt action rifles for sale. I wasn't into long guns then, so I can't give a name or price. But they sure looked old and vintage. A senior citizen who purchased on "their senior day of the week" got an extra 10% off.

My first two revolvers were purchased at a Belk store, a well-known clothing store chain in the southeast USA. In the men's work clothes section was a small display case with a few revolvers. This was the mid to late 70's. One was a S&W model 19 blue with a 2.5" barrel. The other was a blue 4" Colt Python. The kicker with the Python is that I put it on layaway. When I paid it out, I went upstairs to the layaway department with my receipt and picked up my revolver. All the appropriate paperwork of the day was completed for both purchases. That store has long closed as downtown businesses moved out to a newfangled location called a mall. Fond memories indeed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    A couple of life observations with firearms. Decades ago the local Roses here in northeastern NC had old bolt action rifles for sale. I wasn't into long guns then, so I can't give a name or price. But they sure looked old and vintage. A senior citizen who purchased on "their senior day of the week" got an extra 10% off.

My first two revolvers were purchased at a Belk store, a well-known clothing store chain in the southeast USA. In the men's work clothes section was a small display case with a few revolvers. This was the mid to late 70's. One was a S&W model 19 blue with a 2.5" barrel. The other was a blue 4" Colt Python. The kicker with the Python is that I put it on layaway. When I paid it out, I went upstairs to the layaway department with my receipt and picked up my revolver. All the appropriate paperwork of the day was completed for both purchases. That store has long closed as downtown businesses moved out to a newfangled location called a mall. Fond memories indeed.
    I never knew that Belk ever sold firearms. The one in Mount Airy never did in my ‘60s childhood.
    The old Harris Hardware store on South Main Street had an upright glass display case full of cheap small caliber revolvers and .25 auto pistols for about $25 to $30 each.This was before GCA ‘68, legal CC in NC, and NC having a pistol purchase permit law that is still on the books left over from the Jim Crow era.
    Despite this, I knew several men who carried.
    At the country grocery store and off premises beer joint across from my childhood home on Rt 103, there was always a few regulars who hung out daily. One older gentleman always wore a jacket and ended up showing we boys his .22 revolver and .25 auto he kept in the pockets.
    After moving to town in the ‘70s, one of my neighbors was a cab driver and one day showed me the 2” M&P .38 he carried in his Dickies work pants pocket. It had the copper coated Lubaloy LRN rounds.
    The boss at my after school job carried a .25 in his pocket.
    A HS classmate carried a .25 at the same job cleaning the parking lot at night. After he graduated and left, I got the lot cleaning slot. Having no pistol, I kept a 16 gauge H&R single barrel in my car. Good times.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-25-2019 at 07:04 AM.

That's the only Belk I have ever seen sell handguns. And I didn't realize it until I stumbled across the display case.

Does this mean Glock 40's will soon be $199?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I could see that. I paid $200 for a Glock 19 and 1K 9mm ammo so a $199 40 S&W Glock is not outside the realm of reasonable possibility for the smart shopper.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I see dozens of them in GT Distributors used gun display cases in Dallas at $269 - 289, so it's not far off.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    That's the only Belk I have ever seen sell handguns. And I didn't realize it until I stumbled across the display case.
    The Belks in Harlan County KY sold them...maybe even until the early 1990s, but I can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    AIM typically prices their used guns enough below market to sell quickly. The fact their 'X grade' Model 10's only lasted a matter of hours would indicate their price was well below market.
    Hmmmn, I just checked and days after your post AIM still has them in stock at the NSRP (Nightvisionary Suggested Retail Price) of $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Makarovs, CZ-52's, K-31's, Mosin-Nagant rifles and other old milsurp guns went from almost being free with the purchase of a gunshow ticket, up to the +$400 and up range in a few short years.

Will the more modern plastic fantastics? Probably not.
    Don’t forget the $149 Swedish Mausers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I would love to have a Model 10 HB since that is what I carried when I worked for the Federal Reserve but the prices of these used Smith & Wesson police guns are almost double what I would be willing to pay. Used ones were going for $150 in the 1990's when they were a bit more relevant as a defensive gun. I can't say I mind too much though because while guys are spending $300-$500 for these beat up S&W mass produced police guns I have been buying up much more unique great condition Colt 357's, Colt Troopers, and Dan Wesson Monson manufactured Model 15 357's for about the same price.
    Please tell us where you’re finding those $300-$500 Colt DAs.

DWs are fine guns but the double action triggers can’t hold a candle to an S&W.

BTW, all the other guns you mention there were “mass-produced.”

User Tag List