Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More trade-in Model 10's

More trade-in Model 10's

This may be old news but it's the first I've seen of them from Palmetto State, S&W 10-7's, $319.99. That's almost 320 bucks
    Not the best price I don't think but just a heads up for those looking for a M10, which seems to be a lot of people these days.

I would love to have a Model 10 HB since that is what I carried when I worked for the Federal Reserve but the prices of these used Smith & Wesson police guns are almost double what I would be willing to pay. Used ones were going for $150 in the 1990's when they were a bit more relevant as a defensive gun. I can't say I mind too much though because while guys are spending $300-$500 for these beat up S&W mass produced police guns I have been buying up much more unique great condition Colt 357's, Colt Troopers, and Dan Wesson Monson manufactured Model 15 357's for about the same price.

Yep.

I've been somewhat wanting to add a couple of used, carry worthy K frames to the assortment, and have been mildly surprised at the rise in prices from not that many years earlier.

That's cool, supply and demand, people are picking up the older Smiths at a pretty good clip. {at least locally} I'll just have to look harder or pony up the $. It's all good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I would love to have a Model 10 HB since that is what I carried when I worked for the Federal Reserve but the prices of these used Smith & Wesson police guns are almost double what I would be willing to pay. Used ones were going for $150 in the 1990's when they were a bit more relevant as a defensive gun. I can't say I mind too much though because while guys are spending $300-$500 for these beat up S&W mass produced police guns I have been buying up much more unique great condition Colt 357's, Colt Troopers, and Dan Wesson Monson manufactured Model 15 357's for about the same price.
    It’s not the 1990s anymore and the days of $100 to $150 K frames were a one time anomaly like $99 SKS.

Most of the current trade in revolvers are coming from overseas and as they dry up the prices will continue to climb.

This is a shooting forum and there are enough K frames around that parts, cannibalized or aftermarket will be around for a long time to keep you shooting.

Patience, a good eye, a bit of traveling around to different gunshops, and $400 should get you something decent in a K Frame.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s not the 1990s anymore and the days of $100 to $150 K frames were a one time anomaly like $99 SKS.

Most of the current trade in revolvers are coming from overseas and as they dry up the prices will continue to climb.

This is a shooting forum and there are enough K frames around that parts, cannibalized or aftermarket will be around for a long time to keep you shooting.
    I realize that and if you want to pay that much for a Model 10 I get it. But realize for a minute that if you are willing to pay $350 now for a well used S&W Model 10 police trade in you may be the guy willing to spend $1750 for a well used S&W M&P 9 police trade 35 years from now or even $1550 for a Smith and Wesson Sigma.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 11-21-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    I realize that and if you want to pay that much for a Model 10 I get it. But realize for a minute that if you are willing to pay $350 now for a well used S&W Model 10 police trade in you may be the guy willing to spend $1750 for a well used S&W M&P 9 police trade 35 years from now or even $1550 for a Smith and Wesson Sigma.
    You mean when a loaf of bread is $50 and a new one is $3,000 to $5,000? Yeah - everything is relative though I wouldn’t buy either of those guns.

The point isn’t inflation. The point is the Model 10s were under valued in the 90s due to a one time over supply. $100 is not the normal price. They were $200 to $300 prior to that. If you missed it get over it. The past is another country.

Now people bitch about paying market prices for revolvers and quality AKs because of one time price anomaly’s.

And BTW most of these foreign police trade guns are shot even less than American cop guns. Finish wear is irrelevant to me. PF is a shooters forum. That may matter to the gun fondlers who wax their guns and hand,e them with white gloves but that ain’t me, or most on this forum.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-21-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Makarovs, CZ-52's, K-31's, Mosin-Nagant rifles and other old milsurp guns went from almost being free with the purchase of a gunshow ticket, up to the +$400 and up range in a few short years.

Will the more modern plastic fantastics? Probably not.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You mean when a loaf of bread is $50 and a new one is $3,000 to $5,000? Yeah - everything is relative though I wouldn’t buy either of those guns.

The point isn’t inflation. The point is the Model 10s were under valued in the 90s due to a one time over supply. $100 is not the normal price. They were $200 to $300 prior to that. If you missed it get over it. The past is another country.

Now people bitch about paying market prices for revolvers and quality AKs because of one time price anomaly’s.

And BTW most of these foreign police trade guns are shot even less than American cop guns. Finish wear is irrelevant to me. PF is a shooters forum. That may matter to the gun fondlers who wax their guns and hand,e them with white gloves but that ain’t me, or most on this forum.
    I think you are missing my point completely. I am more than happy to pay $350-$600 for 40-70 year old American made revolvers. Correct me if my numbers are wrong but didn't S&W make around 7 million model 10/M&P 38 revolvers. They were the Glocks of their time. These revolvers will never see a significant increase in value in the lifetime of anyone posting here. These are $250 guns tops but I remember Beanie Babies selling for more than that and PT Barnum had a saying. I would much rather spend my money on a very finely finished and hand assembled/fitted 357 Magnum with less than 15,000 produced in excellent or better condition for $499 than a Good-Very good condition Model 10 38 Special with thousands of rounds through the barrel and holster wear for $379.

I think you are missing my point completely. I am more than happy to pay $350-$600 for 40-70 year old American made revolvers. Correct me if my numbers are wrong but didn't S&W make around 7 million model 10/M&P 38 revolvers. They were the Glocks of their time. These revolvers will never see a significant increase in value in the lifetime of anyone posting here. These are $250 guns tops but I remember Beanie Babies selling for more than that and PT Barnum had a saying. I would much rather spend my money on a very finely finished and hand assembled/fitted 357 Magnum with less than 15,000 produced in excellent or better condition for $499 than a Good-Very good condition Model 10 38 Special with thousands of rounds through the barrel and holster wear for $379.
    I've spent the past few summers prowling gun shops, gun shows, and the like looking for that sort of thing, and have yet to come across any nice quality .357 mags for $499.

If I did, I would be ecstatically crowing about it here, that's for sure.

What I'm seeing is bog standard Model 10's for $450, and others (14s, 15s, 19s) for $600 or more.

N frames hover around $800.

Now, that's at multiple gunshops on an almost weekly basis during the summers.

The days of the $200 Model 10 are as done and finished as the days of the $90 Mosin Nagants.

User Tag List