Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 S&W Special CTG

.38 S&W Special CTG

My stepdaughter was passed down a gun from her grandfather and I’m trying to find a little history for her to make it even more special.

Anyone know a good site where I may find out a little more about this good looking revolver?

I’ve put in the serial number on a couple of registry sites, or at least what i think it looks like, and I get zilch.

Thanks in advance.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm not sure 100% what you're asking, but .38 S&W and .38 Special are not the same cartridge and are not interchangeable. .38 S&W is loaded with .361 diameter bullet and has shorter brass. .38 Special is loaded with a .357 diameter bullet in longer brass.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    My stepdaughter was passed down a gun from her grandfather and I’m trying to find a little history for her to make it even more special.

Anyone know a good site where I may find out a little more about this good looking revolver?

I’ve put in the serial number on a couple of registry sites, or at least what i think it looks like, and I get zilch.

Thanks in advance.
    Is their a brand or photo you can share? Other markings?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm not sure 100% what you're asking, but .38 S&W and .38 Special are not the same cartridge and are not interchangeable. .38 S&W is loaded with .361 diameter bullet and has shorter brass. .38 Special is loaded with a .357 diameter bullet in longer brass.
    .38 S&W Special Ctg is the proper name for .38 Special.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    .38 S&W Special Ctg is the proper name for .38 Special.
    I'm aware, as some of the old M&Ps have it as such on the barrel. I guess I just misunderstood the OP and was trying to clarify what he had and what the question was.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

For all things S&W related:www.smith-wessonforum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Is their a brand or photo you can share? Other markings?
    Let’s see if this works

And just looking to find out age, any history about her gun.

Name:  A640CA88-651A-420E-A5B0-4F5E17581AB8.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  480BD246-E5D1-4A62-A94F-240684691BC2.jpeg
Views: 881
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  98BC3DEE-CE04-49FB-A691-D2C0B42621E1.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  41.9 KB

Site Supporter
    That's a seriously classy S&W Military and Police, which later turned into the Model 10. Going from flawed memory, the hammer puts it pre-1950 production. I'm pretty sure that's a Pachmayr grip adapter. The wear pattern on the grip implies that it spent a lot of time in a holster, might've been a cop's gun. Others might have additional/more accurate information.

ETA: The grip adapter looks like a Mershon (sp?), I believe that Frank Pachmayr bought the company or the rights to produce that piece.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 12-24-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Rev Chuck nailed it. Very nice 5 screw M&P.

It's a good one, a nice K frame service pistol.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List