Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat ACP

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Awesome.

I thought that was the case. But for awhile they used some proprietary dovetail which was silly.

It’s my opinion, that if someone isn’t going to run a staked front sight and GI dovetail rear, they should cut the gun for Novak dovetails - the end. Why we still have Bomar, Heinie, or other proprietary cuts in 2019 is a mystery to me. If you want adjustables, they are available in Novak cut. You want bar-dot? Novak cut. Gold bead? Novak cut. Gold line front ramp? Novak cut. Triji HDs? Novak cut.

I honestly wish people would either use Glock or Novak 1911 dovetails on everything - life would be better.
    I'm gonna take it further

1911 makers need to start using slides that will take the Glock style front sights. Only one that I know of (Caspian) does this because they need to flat top the slide...but I think the Glock style front sight is the best thing that ever came from Glock and if I were doing another build it would absolutely be set up this way.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm gonna take it further

1911 makers need to start using slides that will take the Glock style front sights. Only one that I know of (Caspian) does this because they need to flat top the slide...but I think the Glock style front sight is the best thing that ever came from Glock and if I were doing another build it would absolutely be set up this way.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    The flat top is one aspect, but there is also the need for the hole on the bottom of the slide for a inserting a Glock sight tool.

That said, if someone was inventive, they could make a specific, narrow head, fine tooth ratchet and Glock sight socket that could be used without a hole in the slide, it'd be awesome.

wilson already does this with the edc x9. and their front sight (and scrww) is way more robust than the glock

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    wilson already does this with the edc x9. and their front sight (and scrww) is way more robust than the glock
    Except the X9 doesn’t use Glock sights, front or rear. It would be awesome if it did though. Because then we wouldn’t be limited by what sights Wilson has available. We could just use whatever Glock sights we liked. Similarly, the new DWX missed the boat by not using a common CZ or Novak or Glock pattern.

In the meantime, Novak 1911-pattern dovetails will remain my choice. You can get almost all sight patterns in that dovetail, they just take a bit more work to removal and install than the Glock.

I hate how sloppy the glock front sights are. I've yet had one that you couldn't twist, and that stupid little screw sucks. The wilson one is Beefy, and the machining is so exact, I would almost bet I could glue it in, and it would stay put.

I for one, think 1911 front sights should be standard, like novak. but leave the rear up to the builder

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    1911 makers need to start using slides that will take the Glock style front sights.
    I don't want a Glock cut on my 1911 slide. As far as I'm concerned, a Novak front sight dovetail is perfect. There are LOTS of available sight options and that dovetail is a near-standard.
    Bob
    9MM: 92 Elite LTT, CenTac
    .45 ACP: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRockefeller View Post
    I don't want a Glock cut on my 1911 slide. As far as I'm concerned, a Novak front sight dovetail is perfect. There are LOTS of available sight options and that dovetail is a near-standard.
    Same. I get user changeability - but not from a security standpoint. My front sight is dovetailed, and has a roll pin through it into the slide to make sure it's centered/can't loosen/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
    I guess so.
    FYI - I don’t think @M2CattleCo was trying to suggest that people don’t train with high dollar guns. Heck his avatar is a Wilson.

What he was saying is - the “APC” has more in common with a Salient or Zev Glock or the new Ed Brown M&P. It’s a fancy name, on the side of an ugly gun.

Think of it this way - you arrive at class in the morning and the first guy you see arrives in a jacked up, 2WD, diesel, pickup that is wearing 22” chrome rims and has low profile “dirt” tires on it and the closest it’s ever come to off roading is the gravel parking lot at the local Farmer’s Market. The guy gets out in his stiff as plywood starched IDPA vest, underneath you spy a Wilson APC in in a sharkskin covered kydex low-ride holster, on a tooled leather belt with a buckle the size of the truck emblem on the grille.

That’s the guy the APC is made for and that’s the guy M2 is making fun of. I don’t blame him. We all know, any self respecting 1911 carrier would show up wearing a hand carved leather holster with matching belt and double mag pouch.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-23-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    the first guy you see arrives in a jacked up, 2WD, diesel, pickup that is wearing 22” chrome rims and has low profile “dirt” tires on it and the closest it’s ever come to off roading is the gravel parking lot at the local Farmer’s Market. The guy gets out in his stiff as plywood starched IDPA vest, underneath you spy a Wilson APC in in a sharkskin covered kydex low-ride holster, on a tooled leather belt with a buckle the size of the truck emblem on the grille.
    Funny, that's exactly how I rolled up to my last match. Only I had flames embroidered on my IDPA vest, Oakleys and a clip-on mullet.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 11-24-2019 at 12:10 AM.

My sense of the new ACP is that we are seeing the equivalent of saturation Anheuser-Busch beer branding in the 1911 market. One of things that accompanied every new AB brand and/or variant was a loss of AB's overall market share. It appears that every Wilson sub-brand now moves upmarket after introduction, which is how the basic XTAC now has Elite and Supergrade variants. Just like the CQB started. But the additional variants diminish the overall brand value and sales due to saturation and consumer confusion.

User Tag List