Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    You mean a S70 Repro as in a traditional model with no firing pin safety, or a true Series 70 Reproduction with the correct bushing, ejection port, roll marks, and slide catch notch placement?

Either way the main reason that won't happen is that most people who want one of the traditional Colt models don't care about front strap checkering. Sort of goes against the whole "traditional" concept. Fusion Firearms will sell you one though.

From a pricing standpoint that would be reachable, since there are Colt models available with front strap checkering at around the $1000-1100 mark currently.
    Ha ha-great arcane Colt style points! Realistically, I don't think anyone is yearning for the collet bushing (and CNC controlled manufacturing tolerances has eliminated the need for them). I don't personally get bent around the axle (every pun intended) about the traditional versus the currently modified location Colt is using for the slide notch placement, and as long as the rollmarkings are tastefully done (and preferably with the rampant pony) and apropos, I'm fine with that, too.

Basically, I think that the basic Series 70 Reproductions were fine; reportedly, Colt is vacillating on whether or not to keep them in their line-up or just concentrate on the new Classic, which is basically a rebadged Series 80 without a FPS. My druthers for a relatively minor, but I think important improvement would be for them to concentrate on a mild slide and frame dehorning, either in regards to the Series 70 Repro or Classic.

25 LPI frontstrap checkering would be nice, but operationally there are some excellent alternatives, some of them arguably more aesthetically desirable than other for providing increased frontstrap grip (or providing an effective work-around). The Wilson foil checkering piece and /or Pierce rubber frontstrap fingergroove insert come to mind, as do adhesive applique pieces for the frontstrap. The work-around that I've personally is to go with a good set of G10 grips, as the inherent chalky grippiness of the G10 material offsets the relative slipperiness of a bald frontstrap.

Colt has come up with some interesting variations; the problem with Colt is in determining which are orderable SKUs and which are simply the results of what appears to be episodic parts-bin clean-outs. I'd prefer there to be an orderable model in the line-up, at least for a year or two.

Best, Jon

Wilson, in his book, "Gun Guy", writes about needing to make pistols that draw the customers eye in the display case, they have to be visually attractive if you hope to get the customer to say "can i see that one".

this pistol fails on that aspect. it's just plain. reminds me of the old Colt 1991 model with the plain finishes and ugly roll markings. It was their budget offering long ago.

you can get a real nice Colt Gold Cup Trophy for 1700+tax.

maybe i'll be wrong, and they'll sell lots of them.

Just saying. 1100$ shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Just saying. 1100$ shipped.
    That with a steel frame, no checkering on the FS, and a non-radiused butt, and that's exactly what every maker of 1911s needs to offer.

Basically the same philosophy behind the "Loaded" series from Springfield, and the old "Custom" series from Kimber back when they didn't suck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    you can get a real nice Colt Gold Cup Trophy for 1700+tax.
    Street price for a new Gold Cup Trophy with front strap checkering is around $1500.

Site Supporter
    @JonInWA - yeah, the S70 Repro and S80 Government are no longer in production at Colt, at least for now. They are making the Classic in blued and stainless, 45 and Super 38. Plus they have a Black Army in production for a limited run. It could be a reasonable copy of the original if they would just equip them with the smaller 1911 GI grip safety tang and a pony on the slide. Some of the parts are very authentic, the things I mentioned notwithstanding.

None of my Colts have ever bit me because of sharp edges, and I handle them a lot. Still, they could use some softening of the edges I suppose. Cooper thought so.

The front strap checkering on my Special Combat Government models is very nice, and done in house at Colt.
    Last edited by Robinson; 11-21-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    @JonInWA - yeah, the S70 Repro and S80 Government are no longer in production at Colt, at least for now. They are making the Classic in blued and stainless, 45 and Super 38. Plus they have a Black Army in production for a limited run. It could be a reasonable copy of the original if they would just equip them with the smaller 1911 GI grip safety tang and a pony on the slide. Some of the parts are very authentic, the things I mentioned notwithstanding.

None of my Colts have ever bit me because of sharp edges, and I handle them a lot. Still, they could use some softening of the edges I suppose. Cooper thought so.

The front strap checkering on my Special Combat Government models is very nice, and done in house at Colt.
    In my opinion the Colt Custom Shop 25LPI Checkering is hands down the best checkering for a 1911. I own Wilson,NH, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, Springfield and Sig and by far the Colt always impressed me with the feel.

I also love the border the do with the checkering on the top and bottom, gives it a very classy look.

Site Supporter
    If Wilson put together a basic Government gun with...

-No fancy checkering/grip texturing

-Basic slide serrations (no front)

-Parkerized finish

-Basic sights

-Basic grips

You know, something on the order of a Milspec, feature-wise--but with the hand-tuned build and ultra-high quality parts. I feel like they could get it well under 2 grand and still make a solid margins. And I think it would sell. I tend to think a lot of people want the inherent build quality of the gun, not necessarily eagle claws and X-factors.

I guess the question would be, whether or not something like that would dilute their brand equity. Of course they could always spin it off into a sub-brand--that's basically what Cabot did with Alchemy. Well, I guess they acquired it... but it's kinda like their "budget" (laughs/cries) 1911 offering.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 11-21-2019 at 09:01 PM.

I would take them seriously again if they did that.

I liked the days when a pistol was primarily built for professional/duty use without all the nonsense.

Looking at at what all the 'high end' plastic and 1911 guns are is just embarrassing. I mean, would a grown man seriously show up to train/compete/work with other grown men and have something like that in his holster? I sure as hell wouldn't. It would be like driving up in some ridiculous raised or lowered vehicle with gaudy paint, huge wheels, and the radio blasting.

User Tag List