Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petty or idiotic ways to forever lose the right to own firearms

Petty or idiotic ways to forever lose the right to own firearms

I'm often amazed at the ways people become "prohibited persons." In the news recently was a NJ guy who wrote bad checks in 1999 and a NY guy who did more than $250 vandalism damage in 1998. But my favorite is the MA guy who in 2009 dug up his father's urn from a cemetery to place on his mantle.

What dumb stuff have you come across?

Red Flag Laws.

Live in NJ.

Site Supporter
    It’s immoral, and I would even say evil, that people can lose their rights forever. It’s not my opinion that the day you walk out of the pen you should be able to go buy a gun, but there should be an automatic restoration of right at some point , for some felons, given certain requirements are met.

The question becomes dumb on who's part. The individual or the law.

I think I wrote of this before.

A couple years back the New Haven PD conducted an operation targeting small phone shops. Those places selling off brand phone plans and used phones. The operation was named 'Apple Harvest'. The name came in response to the street thugs calling their stealing of i-Phones 'Apple Picking'. Condition White people immersed in their phones especially Yalies were easy picking for a thug to grab their phone and sell it to a less than honest shop.

A shop targeted in the Apple Harvest passed scrutiny, no stolen phones were found. However the shop owner had a 9mm pistol that contained more than the State Mandated Limit of 10 Rounds. I was told the firearms pinch this guy took will forever negate his 2A rights.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yes. A felony makes one a prohibited person, but a misdemeanor involving a firearm also makes one a prohibited person. The bar is pretty low. Can't be too scrupulous about compliance.

I believe that's one reason CA has a carve-out "nuisance" exception in its AW ban, where if the "wrong" person is found to be in violation, they can surrender the firearm and pay a $500 nuisance fee without getting jammed up in a firearms misdemeanor.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    It’s immoral, and I would even say evil, that people can lose their rights forever.
    I also think, it's not good.

In Germany, where I live, if somebody commits a crime and must go to prison for at least 1 year, they lose their gun rights for 10 years (§5 WaffG). And I suppose the time in prison is not subtracted from the ten years. For some "less bad" deeds, which are of course more precisely defined in the law, it's 5 years.

But we can't just buy a firearm anyway. We must apply for a license and fulfil some criteria in order to get it (e.g. have trained regularly for one year in a shooting club which belongs to an officially approved shooting association). And our firearms are registered.
    Last edited by P30; 11-19-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yes. A felony makes one a prohibited person, but a misdemeanor involving a firearm also makes one a prohibited person.
    Not under the applicable federal law when using the term "prohibited person" it doesn't; 18 USC 922(g).

You might have a state law that does that, I'm not aware of it though.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-19-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I also think, it's not good.

In Germany, where I live, if somebody commits a crime and must go to prison for at least 1 year, they lose their gun rights for 10 years (§5 WaffG). For some "less bad" deeds, which are of course more precisely defined in the law, it's 5 years.

But we can't just buy a firearm anyway. We must apply for a license and fulfil some criteria in order to get it (e.g. have trained regularly for one year in a shooting club which belongs to an officially approved shooting association). And our firearms are registered.
    To be clear, an American can regain their right to keep and bear arms after a felony, but it isn't automatic and must be petitioned for.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    To be clear, an American can regain their right to keep and bear arms after a felony, but it isn't automatic and must be petitioned for.
    OK. And you US Americans have the advantage that you have the right to carry your weapons. We don't. In Germany, civilians are not allowed to carry a firearm. At home, we must keep them in a safe and we can fire them on a shooting range. There are very few exceptions, e.g. licensed hunters can carry their weapons on their hunting ground. When transporting the weapon to the range or hunting ground, it must be unloaded and in a locked container.
    Last edited by P30; 11-19-2019 at 03:11 PM.

User Tag List