Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft of upcoming Virginia AWB - Registration

Site Supporter
    This pure speculation. Isn't it unconstitutional for the Armed Forces to be used for simple law enforcement? Are state guards different? How would the state have the grounds to get warrants for every possible household? Next, couldn't President Trump nationalize the Guard and order them to stand down? I recall similar things during Civil Rights days when governors threatened to use the Guard to oppose desegregation (but I could be wrong on the memory).

I do like the idea of deputizing an entire county, the court cases over that would take forever. The progun forces should cite the resistance by local authorities in the North to Fugitive Slave Acts as precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Bring it on.

Your national guard plan has one major flaw: they are fucking incompetent.
    It's got a bigger problem--the Va NG is unlikely to obey orders to go door to door to seize guns. Few of its members are on Northam's side; few come from "blue" VA; most are gun owners; and many of them will believe that a seizure order will be unconstitutional under both the VA and US constitutions.

But the whole NG thing is just big talk from some Virginia lefties. They have no real intention of enforcing the law--at least now. The real purpose of these laws is to fire up the Dem voting and contributing bases, both of which hate the type of people who own guns and are eager to smash them. They'd love to deploy some para-military force against AR 15 owners.

But, in truth, they will be initially satisfied with these bills passing even without enforcement, as was done in in Conn, NY, NJ and MD. And the soccer Moms and Dads who think guns are yucky and also are scared that someone with an AR is about the shoot up their kids' schools, will never understand that these bills won't take more than a handful of guns "off the street." Then, if there is another school shooting somewhere they can advertise the scandal that there are 500,000 unregistered "assault weapons" in VA and ask for a "small tax increase" to fund a new agency dedicated to "getting the guns off the streets."

In other words, in the end they will play an incremental game, which will have the added attraction that they can raise money on the issue from the left-wing tech billionaires who have their own personal security details and would prefer that no one else is armed.

In short, I think they'd much prefer not to enforce their law if they can then use the issue to raise money through a number of election cycles. Everything else is talk.
    Last edited by Jeep; 12-13-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Isn't it unconstitutional for the Armed Forces to be used for simple law enforcement?
    Posse Comitatus Act.

The active duty and out-of-state Guard troops deployed to the southern border (for a current example) are, to my knowledge, only involved in support roles, not doing LE work. Texas Guard members can be authorized by the Gov to do LE work in TX.

From the above link.
    The act does not prevent the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard under state authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor. The United States Coast Guard, which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act either, primarily because although the Coast Guard is an armed service, it also has both a maritime law enforcement mission and a federal regulatory agency mission.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This pure speculation. Isn't it unconstitutional for the Armed Forces to be used for simple law enforcement? Are state guards different? How would the state have the grounds to get warrants for every possible household? Next, couldn't President Trump nationalize the Guard and order them to stand down? I recall similar things during Civil Rights days when governors threatened to use the Guard to oppose desegregation (but I could be wrong on the memory).

I do like the idea of deputizing an entire county, the court cases over that would take forever. The progun forces should cite the resistance by local authorities in the North to Fugitive Slave Acts as precedent.
    Glenn: The use of Federal armed forces is not unconstitutional, but is generally barred by the posse comitatus act. The use of the NG for state law enforcement purposes is governed by state law, and they are often used in cases of riots etc. to help enfoce state law. However, it would be stupid of Northam to try that.

Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    That’s the kind of tinfoil hat rhetoric that isn’t helping our cause. A “kill list of patriots?” Really?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I'd enjoy seeing the Gov and AOC, et. al., gearing up to come take away guns.
    It will not come to pass that they get LE or any Federal organization to do so. They'll need to do it themselves.

That article is worse than Drudge.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

To put it bluntly, this sort of thing is both absurd and unhelpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'd enjoy seeing the Gov and AOC, et. al., gearing up to come take away guns.
    If one believes the fringe right press, they’ll both be too busy: Gov N with butchering babies, and AOC with eating the product.

Now then, where were we...?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Posse Comitatus Act.

The active duty and out-of-state Guard troops deployed to the southern border (for a current example) are, to my knowledge, only involved in support roles, not doing LE work. Texas Guard members can be authorized by the Gov to do LE work in TX.

From the above link.
    They can send whoever they want.

Just so long as they don’t want them back.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List