Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft of upcoming Virginia AWB - Registration

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    This is a list of everything submitted so far for 2020's session; scroll through (both pages) to find all (again, so far) firearms related bills: https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...xe?201+lst+ALL

Did I mention so far?

Presumably there are a lot of Democrat Virginia delegates and senators who are in swing districts and have to vote along more moderate lines?
    Thanks! Bookmarked this time.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Make it so!
    Make it so, and I will strongly consider moving back to NW NC after a forty-four year absence if VA goes full dumbass....

Site Supporter
    My son has a doctor located in Norfolk, so I will need to keep an eye on any changes in concealed handgun reciprocity. Last election there was an indication that a significant amount of reciprocity was going to disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My son has a doctor located in Norfolk, so I will need to keep an eye on any changes in concealed handgun reciprocity. Last election there was an indication that a significant amount of reciprocity was going to disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We ended up working out a deal to make Virginia a total recognition state by statute, so they'll have to make any reciprocity changes legislatively.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    We ended up working out a deal to make Virginia a total recognition state by statute, so they'll have to make any reciprocity changes legislatively.
    Very good to know! Thank you!

Virginia Constitution

I’m no lawyer, however, after reading the proposed SB16 language, it appears to violate several parts of the Virginia Bill of Rights, specifically Article 1, Section 9, prohibiting bills of attainder, and ex post facto laws. It may also violate cruel and unusual punishment, excess fines (class 6 felony, and $50,000 fine).

“Article I. Bill of Rights
    Section 9. Prohibition of excessive bail and fines, cruel and unusual punishment, suspension of habeas corpus, bills of attainder, and ex post facto laws
    That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted; that the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended unless when, in cases of invasion or rebellion, the public safety may require; and that the General Assembly shall not pass any bill of attainder, or any ex post facto law.”

I know silly me thinking that the constitution limits government. Any lawyers care to weigh in on this?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

BTW, have you had a look at the non-gun bills?
    No term limits for Gov. Sorry, I misspoke. It increases the limit from 1 to 2. Still a bad direction for us to move in...
    One of the best things about VA is the 1-term limit on the governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmr54 View Post
    I’m no lawyer, however, after reading the proposed SB16 language, it appears to violate several parts of the Virginia Bill of Rights, specifically Article 1, Section 9, prohibiting bills of attainder, and ex post facto laws. It may also violate cruel and unusual punishment, excess fines (class 6 felony, and $50,000 fine).
    SB16 is not an ex post facto law.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

VA law

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    SB16 is not an ex post facto law.
    Correct- not law yet. However, if it does become law, how would it follow the Constitution?

An ex post facto law (corrupted from Latin: ex postfacto, lit. 'out of the aftermath') is a law that retroactively changes the legal consequences (or status) of actions that were committed, or relationships that existed, before the enactment of the law. ... Such legal changes are also known by the Latin term in mitius

And what about this:
    A bill of attainder (also known as an act of attainder or writ of attainder or bill of pains and penalties) is an act of a legislature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them, often without a trial. As with attainder resulting from the normal judicial process, the effect of such a bill is to nullify the targeted person's civil rights, most notably the right to own property (and thus pass it on to heirs), the right to a title of nobility, and, in at least the original usage, the right to life itself. Bills of attainder passed in Parliament by Henry VIII on 29 January 1542 resulted in the executions of a number of notable historical figures.
    Last edited by Kmr54; 11-22-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Addition

Ex post facto means that the government would be able to arrest you today for having done something in the past that was legal at the time you did it without you having to do anything now. For example, if the bill criminalized having previously owned an AR15 and you could be arrested for having owned an AR15 in 2017, even though you don’t currently own one, it would be an ex post facto law. That’s not how the proposed bill works. If a new law is passed and you continue performing actions that the law has made illegal, you can get charged. If you don’t perform those actions, you can’t get charged. If this bill criminalizes the possession of AR style weapons without a grandfather clause and you continue to possess those weapons, you can get charged. If you get rid of them, you can’t.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List