Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft of upcoming Virginia AWB - Registration

"It would seem to potentially ban even muzzle brakes and all AR pistol grips even if they are parts of a bolt action rifle."

I'm not from VA, so I only skimmed, but I think that I'd read things really carefully if I had a 'featureless' AR and a chassis bolt gun with an AR grip, AR adjustable stock, etc.

IIRC, the notion that you don't have to worry about constructive possession if you have e.g. both an AR rifle and pistol, as long as the bits you have can be assembled in some legal manner is an ATF ruling, not some intrinsic part of case law. I'm not sure that a prosecutor who doesn't like guns would necessarily see things the same way the ATF did.

(IANAL, corrections welcomed!)

Site Supporter
    VCDL has a Lobby Day on Jan 20th. That's MLK day, so many folks will have the day off and be able to attend.

I intend to go.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    VCDL has a Lobby Day on Jan 20th. That's MLK day, so many folks will have the day off and be able to attend.

I intend to go.

Chris
    Any Virginian who cares about gun rights absolutely needs to be a part of the VCDL and go to lobby day this year, at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

I intend to go.

Chris
    That's very likely going to be after they've moved bills out of committee in their chamber of origin. If possible, I'd recommend going during any hearings if you can. Having a substantial presence of gun owners at any hearings will help.

Also, remember to take advantage of any time you go to Richmond to connect with your lawmakers. If you need help finding your lawmakers while you're there, email me at jsavani@nrahq.org.

I live in a blue state that almost enacted a bunch of idiotic gun control bills last year. Then a Facebook group formed to fight it, and a lot of the members of that group found that they were fellow union members. Once they discovered that they demanded that their unions stop supporting and actually oppose the bills.

The union leaders reluctantly complied and notified the Dem leadership that a large part of their union base was up in arms. That stopped the bills, for the moment at least. They will be back next year as the Dems try to figure out whether they can afford to lose the support of the industrial and construction union members. The government union members tend to support gun control, of course.

Anyway, the lessons are that social media is a powerful tool for organizing resistance to government overreach and that you can find friends and supporters among groups that historically support the Dems. I have no doubt that there are plenty of black men and women in Virginia who have no intent of giving up their weapons, but also probably don't know that they are threatened.

In addition, you should assume that the courts will interpret the language of those bills in the worst possible way for you. If you think the bills might ban semi-automatic pistols, they will probably be interpreted in that way. Demand explanations. Flood your legislators with mail (civilly written mail--anger gets you nowhere). Write letters to the newspapers correcting their coverage. They might not get printed but newspapers these days operate on very thin, if any, margins. They can't afford to offend many readers.

Politicians are not known for their courage, their number one concern is re-election, and the Dems only have a narrow majority in Virginia. Peel a few away and the bills will not pass.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I live in a blue state that almost enacted a bunch of idiotic gun control bills last year. Then a Facebook group formed to fight it, and a lot of the members of that group found that they were fellow union members. Once they discovered that they demanded that their unions stop supporting and actually oppose the bills.

The union leaders reluctantly complied and notified the Dem leadership that a large part of their union base was up in arms. That stopped the bills, for the moment at least. They will be back next year as the Dems try to figure out whether they can afford to lose the support of the industrial and construction union members. The government union members tend to support gun control, of course.

Anyway, the lessons are that social media is a powerful tool for organizing resistance to government overreach and that you can find friends and supporters among groups that historically support the Dems. I have no doubt that there are plenty of black men and women in Virginia who have no intent of giving up their weapons, but also probably don't know that they are threatened.

In addition, you should assume that the courts will interpret the language of those bills in the worst possible way for you. If you think the bills might ban semi-automatic pistols, they will probably be interpreted in that way. Demand explanations. Flood your legislators with mail (civilly written mail--anger gets you nowhere). Write letters to the newspapers correcting their coverage. They might not get printed but newspapers these days operate on very thin, if any, margins. They can't afford to offend many readers.

Politicians are not known for their courage, their number one concern is re-election, and the Dems only have a narrow majority in Virginia. Peel a few away and the bills will not pass.
    Unfortunately, we don't have exactly the same dynamic as Delaware, but we're certainty looking at all viable options to peel as many legislators off of gun control votes as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    My wife is in a lot more social media than I am (which is to say - at all). She is reading where Virginians are pissed off and organizing. Settle in for the ride boyz.
    I’d like to believe that. Everyone here I talk to has no idea what’s coming.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The parts language is unintelligible. It would seem to potentially ban even muzzle brakes and all AR pistol grips even if they are parts of a bolt action rifle. Also, the parts language would undo the attempt to grandfather magazines. The bill only prohibits future importation and transfers of banned magazines, not current possession.
    I would very much appreciate your thoughts on such things posted here going forward. I know it sometimes puts you in a difficult spot. For those of us not versed in the law it’s very helpful.

The alternative is despair and hating my fellow Virginians until I can move.

Chris
    I hope to pull a Colorado and turn shit around on these legislators. Colorado recalled people and fought hard. I ain't giving up.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I hope to pull a Colorado and turn shit around on these legislators. Colorado recalled people and fought hard. I ain't giving up.
    Never said I was giving up, just said I'm holding out hope...

The plus side is my revolvers may see more action and I might be able to justify a Kimber K6S 3".

Oh, and the FPF-sponsored Chuck Haggard Revolver class coming up next May is looking mighty relevant...

BTW, have you had a look at the non-gun bills?
    No term limits for Gov. Sorry, I misspoke. It increases the limit from 1 to 2. Still a bad direction for us to move in...
    No photo ID requirement for voters.

They're going to work hard to solidify their control.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 11-20-2019 at 01:29 PM.

User Tag List