Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft of upcoming Virginia AWB - Registration

"What iceberg...?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"What iceberg...?"
    You guys are bringing me down.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Time for SCOTUS to get off their collective lazy asses and fix these infringements permanently.
    Do you understand how the SC functions?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Do you understand how the SC functions?
    Yes I do.

I know a case would have to work it's way to the SCOTUS however there have already been opportunities for the court to fix these infringements. In October 2016 the court declined to hear an appeal of New York and Connecticut's ban of semiautomatic weapons and large-capacity magazines that the Second US Circuit Court of Appeals upheld.

There currently is a case that has reached SCOTUS. A constitutional challenge to a First Circuit ruling that upheld Massachusetts regulations of certain semi-automatic firearms and high-capacity magazines.

IANAL and grandfathering doesn't make this less palatable (or less of a priority for fighting), but aren't ex post facto laws at the state level specifically forbidden by the constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    IANAL and grandfathering doesn't make this less palatable (or less of a priority for fighting), but aren't ex post facto laws at the state level specifically forbidden by the constitution?
    Not ex post facto

An ex post facto law would allow you to be arrested for the fact that you ever possessed a newly prohibited firearm at any time in the past, regardless of whether you still possess it.

What this bill does do is basically forced confiscation under the threat of becoming a criminal.
    Last edited by shootist26; 11-19-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Not ex post facto

An ex post facto law would allow you to be arrested for the fact that you ever possessed a newly prohibited firearm at any time in the past, regardless of whether you still possess it.

What this bill does do is basically forced confiscation under the threat of becoming a criminal.
    Understood - thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    In VA, we had a bunch of restrictions (1 handgun a month, local preemption of state gun laws, etc, etc). We managed to turn those around 11 years ago. We'll do it again if necessary.

Even in Deep Blue NoVA, VA is a pretty pro-gun state (drive around and take note of the VCDL stickers and Gadsen plates, not to mention all the gun stores, ranges, and such). I think the upcoming legislative push will wake a lot of gun owners and fill VCDL's coffers. Unfortunately, it'll be ugly in the short term and folks will have to move lawfully owned property out of state (either through selling or relocating it to friendlier locales).

Chris
    You're more optimistic than I.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You're more optimistic than I.
    The alternative is despair and hating my fellow Virginians until I can move.

Chris

That really sucks guys. I take it the chances this bill passes are pretty high following the recent election? We do seem to be losing the state and local battle. Things are good on the federal side but that won’t mean much if the state and local restrictions are allowed to stand and grow. I really want the Supreme Court to agree to hear some of the state ban cases that have been sent their way.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List