Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Draft of upcoming Virginia AWB - Registration

Site Supporter
    FBI Baltimore arrested three neo-nazis, one of whom is an illegal alien from Canada, on federal firearms and immigration charges. The arrest warrant affidavit is linked in the article.

Arrested Neo-Nazis Built a Weapon, Were Making DMT: Court Docs
    The arrests came just as authorities expressed worry about a pro-gun rally in Virginia turning violent.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/m...2wlXWPmJp5I-b4

And then there is this .....

Why This Antifa Group Is Siding With Thousands of Pro-Gun Conservatives In Virginia
    A huge rally against gun control is shaping up to be a bizarre meeting of the minds.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...GryIven7sk0EcM

With “friends” like this, who needs enemies ?
    Last edited by HCM; 01-17-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Student
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-control-bills

One handgun per month.

Mandatory background checks for all private sales.

Localities required to ban guns at public events.
    Last edited by Yung; 01-17-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-control-bills

One handgun per month.

Mandatory background checks for all private sales.

Localities required to ban guns at public events.
    I read through the public events language and it doesn't appear to say they re REQUIRED to ban guns at public events, but MAY ban them, but only with sufficient signage and other controls. So, if the choose to do so, it must be obvious before you enter the event grounds.

I skimmed through the one-handgun-a-month bill and it includes language exempting CCW holders. Not ideal, but as long as VA's CCW is easy to get, that is a workaround. I believe there are also provisions for people who get permits from VSP for multiple purchases. That was definitely an element of the previous one-handgun-a-month law. Point is, it's not going to be a hard rule to get around. Kind of pointless actually.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I read through the public events language and it doesn't appear to say they re REQUIRED to ban guns at public events, but MAY ban them, but only with sufficient signage and other controls. So, if the choose to do so, it must be obvious before you enter the event grounds.

I skimmed through the one-handgun-a-month bill and it includes language exempting CCW holders. Not ideal, but as long as VA's CCW is easy to get, that is a workaround. I believe there are also provisions for people who get permits from VSP for multiple purchases. That was definitely an element of the previous one-handgun-a-month law. Point is, it's not going to be a hard rule to get around. Kind of pointless actually.

Chris
    SB69, one handgun per month, is essentially the exact same language that we had before the law was repealed in 2012.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    SB69, one handgun per month, is essentially the exact same language that we had before the law was repealed in 2012.
    I never read the original, but it sounded like what I remembered. Also, the old law was never a hindrance for someone who was informed and motivated, though I think I only needed to buy more than 1 handgun in a month once back then (and haven't again since).

Chris

I emailed my delegate about the ban. Of course, the response I got back was simply that she wanted to keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people and get military style guns off the streets. I reminded her that the assault weapons ban does in fact ban common guns and magazines used for sport, recreation and self defense.

The message the public is getting seems very much in line with my delegate’s response. I went through all of the proposed bills. Some are not awful (most are), but the sheer number and common themes seems purely designed to harass and annoy gun owners. Take SB 506 allowing local governments to set gun laws. Who could be against local control of firearm laws? But it just sets up a trap where you have to know the law in every jurisdiction you travel through, or risk arrest for “carrying in a library zone” or some nonsense. The average person probably doesn’t get it or care.

User Tag List