Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang's $1,000/month UBI Government Payment

Yang's $1,000/month UBI Government Payment

Someone here who is a democrat or "humanity first technocrat", please explain to me why this isn't the dumbest fucking concept I've read about this year.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It isn't *as* bad if it replaces existing entitlements. I'd rather an indigent person have to move to Detroit or Wabash Indiana to make their $1,000/month work than stay in SF or NYC using a $2,000/month housing voucher + food stamps + medicaid etc.

But I fear it'll be used as a tool of wealth redistribution instead.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Funny, I was reading about this last night.

Now I’m not one to dismiss something immediately just because a Democrat proposes it, although that’s a good indicator of how good (usually bad) an idea it is. He’s actually got it spelled out pretty well on his website, but all it keeps saying is “studies show this, studies show that,”, and as far as I can tell these studies don’t reflect anything I’ve ever seen in the real world.

Site Supporter
    Giving people money for nothing is not healthy, from the government it’s not American and it’s doomed to fail.

The left has zero wisdom, I mean zero, and has little understanding of human nature. Not to mention the ironic contempt they have for anyone who is not a white heterosexual cis gender Christian male.

Liberals need to wake up and fight the left instead of running around like scared chickens and thinking conservatives are the enemy. There will be a price to pay for a liberal who fights the left, but it will make their country a better place.

Yang seems like a nice guy, too bad he went to college and took it seriously.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I know we've done a lengthy thread on the pros and cons of a UBI before but I can't find it in a search. Still combing, though.

Ah, here it is: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ia-of-course-)

Used Google instead of the built in site search and found it right away.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Why are you guys shitting on my future play fund? I may as well get some free shit for all the taxes I pay :P

Site Supporter
    I look out in this world and see shit pretty fucked up. I am open to a new idea.

Telling everyone they need to work harder and you can’t have my fucking money isn’t working.

I struggle with the idea of an UBI as my concern is that it will make things worse for those who need it and not better. And for those of us who are net taxpayers, the taxable burden either has to increase or more money has to be borrowed (created by the Federal Reserve System). $12,000 per year per person times 350 million people is $4.2 trillion per year. The US GDP is about $20 trillion, so the UBI is more than 20% of GDP. Yang's plan is to offset the cost with a federal 10% VAT (Value Added Tax), and quite frankly that scares me as it less than half (20% of $20 trillion is $4 trillion). So the VAT rate would have to increase to stop the debt from increasing.

Once we have a de facto federal sales tax, our tax burden looks much like those in the EU as there would be local, state, and federal sales and income taxes. I would only support a VAT IF the Constitution is amended to not allow the federal income tax.

VATs are also "regressive", much like straight sales taxes are. So the people who need the benefit of the UBI pay the brunt (in terms of percentage of their income) in taxes to purchase goods. So the people the scheme purports to help do not get so much help as $1200 per year is likely lost to the VAT versus basically nothing in federal income tax now.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I would only support a VAT IF the Constitution is amended to not allow the federal income tax.
    I'd have to look at the numbers, but that sounds like something I'd support. Not necessarily to fund UBI, but just in general.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post

VATs are also "regressive", much like straight sales taxes are. So the people who need the benefit of the UBI pay the brunt (in terms of percentage of their income) in taxes to purchase goods. So the people the scheme purports to help do not get so much help as $1200 per year is likely lost to the VAT versus basically nothing in federal income tax now.
    In Yang's plan, groceries and other staples are exempt. Which he claims is what low-income recipients would spend it on, and totally not drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I look out in this world and see shit pretty fucked up. I am open to a new idea.

Telling everyone they need to work harder and you can’t have my fucking money isn’t working.
    Well, too bad, because you can't have my fucking money.

The world will always need ditch diggers, dude. Seeing financial inequality in the world and thinking, "the world is pretty fucked up" is the problem, not the existence of financial inequality; that's called life. There has been inequality since man harvested his first piece of food and always will be, and any system that aims to take from the productive people and give to the unproductive to an extreme (like Yang's proposal) is headed for implosion.

The entire point of the US Constitution and our country is personal responsibility and freedom, not "to have the government make my problems go away." The entire basis of the United States is built on this notion. Anything that seeks to make the people financially dependent on the government is the enemy of our American way of life. Wang's catch phrase of "Not left, not right, but forward" is a lie because policies like these are regressive, which seek to make The People beholden to a ruler.

Taking communism and repackaging it as a "Freedom Dividend" is bullshit.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-19-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List