Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Doubts about 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    It was meant, so you took it in the correct fashion. There's no dick measuring involved in telling you you're wrong. You're perpetuating misinformation that many of us have spent decades refuting. Again, please stop.

I'm basing my opinion on hours spent in the backroom of museums, here ln the US and Europe, examining original weapons that have never been documented in publication, not from information I gained from working with a mid-tier maker of replica weapons back in the 90s. (When none of us didn't know much).
    I've done my grunt work from iron ore all the way to the crucible 3lb block and made a number of 3' blades until I found that money was much better doing other things in life. Obviously you have limited knowledge of Poor or Ric Furrer just a state away who have worked together on a number of projects and sharing of knowledge. In case you didn't know, Furrer is one of the few smiths today who can forge an accurate recreating of the Ulfberhrt. Both are at the forefront of medieval weapons knowledge and recreation and I keep in touch with them every now and again.

I'll stop and let you have your lime light. Advertise your gear and enjoy your accolades.
    A man with an experience, is not a slave to a man with an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    I've done my grunt work from iron ore all the way to the crucible 3lb block and made a number of 3' blades until I found that money was much better doing other things in life. Obviously you have limited knowledge of Poor or Ric Furrer just a state away who have worked together on a number of projects and sharing of knowledge. In case you didn't know, Furrer is one of the few smiths today who can forge an accurate recreating of the Ulfberhrt. Both are at the forefront of medieval weapons knowledge and recreation and I keep in touch with them every now and again.

I'll stop and let you have your lime light. Advertise your gear and enjoy your accolades.
    Yes, I'm familiar with Ric and any other name from the craft you'd like to drop.

Thank you for stopping.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Many departments/agencies/units have made the switch one way or another between them. Zero have reported any statistical difference in outcomes. You've controlled for every other variable. It's the same officers (so same level of training, experience, etc.) patrolling the same area in the same way they were before, only the cartridges are different. If one were measurably better than the other we'd have those measurements by this point. We see no trend of higher officer survival rates, etc. with the larger calibers. The switch to 9mm has often been touted as improving range scores, but I've yet to see anyone claiming it's improved the percentage of wins at OIS. This is largely because who wins and loses gunfights isn't predicted by range scores (see various NYPD and others studies) because range scores historically are not measuring the right things, or rather are measuring one sliver of the right things. I'm not saying it's not better to be a better shot. I'm saying that a lot of losses occur for reasons that have nothing to do with shooting. Range scores don't measure aggressiveness, tactics, situational awareness, etc. A range score won't tell you who can see trouble coming earlier, who will see the need to use deadly force first, who will hesitate and who won't, etc. Those things generally matter a lot more than the tiny differences in duty calibers at this point.

Pick one, get good with it, learn all the other stuff that separates winners from losers.
    Well said sir! Having been in uniform since 1985 and having carried 357 Magnum, 40 , 45 and 9 , I could not agree more. We have folks that shoot the lights out on the range, while being "attacked" by a static piece of copy paper on a cardboard backer. Those folks, I hope to never be covering me in a real fire fight. I now have settled on 9mm and carry 147 HSTs in my duty gun and 124 bonded Federals in my 938 backup.

I've seen a lot of derailed caliber discussions, but never one that derailed into vehement argument over long swords. I'd like to thank BBI and the others who've contributed so much to this thread, and thank you for popping in, Dr. Roberts. I learned some things I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I hope you all read post #209 above, then read it again, then share it with your friends....
    I do so every chance I get to whom it may serve and I tell them to look here for your posts. You converted me some time back and I'm stacking 147 HST and Gold Dot deep. I still love my .357Sig though. Not because it's a mystical death ray, it just has attributes I find valuable.

Site Supporter
    There ain't no thread drift like P-F thread drift!

a.k.a.

Thou shalt not flex upon thine screen-names unknown - lest ye be corrected by he (she) of unexpected and profound expertise.

And I thought I was an antique nerd with my 1911s!

Sword: Japanese Katana - made by the legendary Hattori Hanzo, duh.

Knife: Bowie

Car: Ford

Gun: 1911

Caliber: Centimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    You converted me some time back and I'm stacking 147 HST and Gold Dot deep.
    It still seems odd to me, but I just bought a case of G2 so I guess I might be converted too...[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It still seems odd to me, but I just bought a case of G2 so I guess I might be converted too...[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Didn't the G2 have problems to the point of the FBI dropping it and replacing it with Critical Duty?

It seems like most of the professionally conducted test results I've seen of it have had problems particularly with expansion.

User Tag List