Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Doubts about 9mm

Site Supporter

Doubts about 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Nothing much has changed in the pistol cartridge world unless I missed it.
    You missed it.
    Last edited by Le Français; 11-21-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Borderland: “Nothing much has changed in the pistol cartridge world unless I missed it.”

You missed it.
    Exactly. A LOT has changed in the last 30 years. Today’s HSTs and Gold Dots are vastly different than yesterday’s Silvertips and Hydra-Shoks, regardless of caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I saw literally nothing in that article that tells me why .45Auto would have been a better choice over 9mm for the military. Maybe you can point it out to me?
    I was basing on the fact that the military specified 45 ACP to begin in the search for a new pistol. Budget cuts killed it. So I guess if you consider budgets 9mm is your cartridge.

Anyway, some are having a melt down over cartridge discussions so I'll try not to discuss it anymore to lower their blood pressure a bit.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I was basing on the fact that the military specified 45 ACP to begin in the search for a new pistol. Budget cuts killed it. So I guess if you consider budgets 9mm is your cartridge.

Anyway, some are having a melt down over cartridge discussions so I'll try not to discuss it anymore to lower their blood pressure a bit.
    Tne MHS program did not specify a caliber / cartridge.

While thiscan be a way to “see what’s out there.” It is problematic from a weapons selection POV. You pick a load THEN pick something g to launch it reliably and accurately.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.

What HCM said. The MHS Trials never specified caliber and there was speculation at certain points that the chosen pistol could have gone back to .45Auto or even .40S&W. The article that you linked didn’t specify such a thing either. The article that you linked was really just an HK45 ad. It’s a great pistol, but it doesn’t really prove or disprove anything germane to this discussion nor did it answer any of the questions I posed to you.

You don’t like 9mm? That’s fine. I have no problem with that. But if you’re saying that 9mm is woefully insufficient as a duty grade caliber, you’re objectively incorrect. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Honesty is the best policy.

Evidently you missed the last twenty years of bullet design.

Do you mean stuff like this?

https://youtu.be/73Eg6lEGDIc
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Do you mean stuff like this?

https://youtu.be/73Eg6lEGDIc
    Powerball ammo is your proof?? Lmao!

Folks I think we are just feeding the trolls at this point.

I think this is one of those things where some people just won’t believe unless they see the data. The data isn’t publicly available so their options are to take the words of strangers on the internet who claim to have seen the data, or to continue believing whatever they’re already comfortable with. There are numerous people posting who have seen the data. You can choose to believe them when they say that all the major service calibers do practically the same thing or you can choose not to. Too many people are emotionally invested in their preferred caliber.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Tne MHS program did not specify a caliber / cartridge.

While thiscan be a way to “see what’s out there.” It is problematic from a weapons selection POV. You pick a load THEN pick something g to launch it reliably and accurately.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What HCM said. The MHS Trials never specified caliber and there was speculation at certain points that the chosen pistol could have gone back to .45Auto or even .40S&W. The article that you linked didn’t specify such a thing either. The article that you linked was really just an HK45 ad. It’s a great pistol, but it doesn’t really prove or disprove anything germane to this discussion nor did it answer any of the questions I posed to you.

You don’t like 9mm? That’s fine. I have no problem with that. But if you’re saying that 9mm is woefully insufficient as a duty grade caliber, you’re objectively incorrect. Plain and simple.
    The MHS didn’t but the circa 2005 “Joint Combat Pistol” program did specify .45 acp. However despite the aspirations of some traditionalists, it was never a serious contender to replace the M9. It was really more of a SOCOM thing. The HK 45 was one of several modern .45 acp pistols, including the .45 version of the PX4 storm developed for the JCP.

Nothing much really came of it other than the study which dragged on into 2007, and possibly Mk24 which was an HK 45c set up for suppressors use. It saw limited use by NSW supplementing 9mm Mk25s. I don’t know of anyone else in SOCOM using them.

2005 is 14 years and at least two military pistol trials ago.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-21-2019 at 08:21 PM.

It's like I've stepped into a time machine.

This thread is so much like 199X or 200X internet threads!

cc

User Tag List