Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Doubts about 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Lee v. Norris, Snickers v. Milkyway. Let's get to the real life issues.

Longswords are for cake eaters and philistines.

I bet sharpening that takes some serious technique. Do they do classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    This is my sharpener, plebe.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Depends. Many medieval swords were given only a smooth chisel edge. In a world of iron covered shields and mail, a sharp edge didn't last long and all you have left is to rely on your blade geometry and your technique. You see this in large militaries all over the world that have seen any serious conflict. Not to worry though, a long sword with good blade geometry will still cut through a large bamboo matt or sever a limb with a moderately strong, angled swing.
    Last edited by Galbraith; 12-01-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    A man with an experience, is not a slave to a man with an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    Depends. Many medieval swords were given only a smooth chisel edge. In a world of iron covered shields and mail, a sharp edge didn't last long and all you have left is to rely on your blade geometry and your technique. You see this in large militaries all over the world that have seen any serious conflict. Not to worry though, a long sword with good blade geometry will still cut through a large bamboo matt or sever a limb with a moderately strong, angled swing.
    That's a myth and quite frankly, bullshit. Examine any number of surviving antiques, you'll see the ones in good condition have edges that are quite sharp. Equating 18th-19th century equipment standards to the rest of edged weapons history is unproductive.

A sword like that two-hander would have been quite sharp. Every antique I've ever examined, except victorian copies, has had a very keen, knifelike edge. If dressing of the edge was required on a sword like that, it would have been done by stropping on a large, leather covered buffing wheel.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 12-01-2019 at 07:50 PM.

I hope you all read post #209 above, then read it again, then share it with your friends....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

That's a myth and quite frankly, bullshit. Examine any number of surviving antiques, you'll see the ones in good condition have edges that are quite sharp. Equating 18th-19th century equipment standards to the rest of edged weapons history is unproductive.

A sword like that two-hander would have been quite sharp. Every antique I've ever examined, except victorian copies, has had a very keen, knifelike edge. If dressing of the edge was required on a sword like that, it would have been done by stropping on a large, leather covered buffing wheel.
    Surviving examples that have changed owners hands for centuries, or museum pieces that have only been restored for preservation purposes? The later will generally have a corroded edge, or an edge that will not even cut a manila rope. I say this because the majority of privately owned relics have been restored, including a professional polish resulting in a sharpened edge. Unless you are a curator or get the special pass, you will never handle a museum piece. Yes, I have personally handled a number of privately owned blades from western Europe and Japan, and I even did apprentice work under Christopher Poor at Arms and Armor in Minnesota in the early 1990s and was fortunately enough to achieve journeyman for building/using a bloomery and creating crucible steel. Christopher Poor did indeed have access to museum pieces, and he spent the better part of almost 4 decades looking through original literature on the subject.

Yes, the time period determines the geometry, heat treat/temper, and edge as a function of the external factors of the battle field.
    Last edited by Galbraith; 12-01-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Italian longsword, no doubt. Dei Liberi trounces Talhoffer and Samurai alike.

Bowie because Murika, and back cuts.
    Somebody has their edgework squared away.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Surviving examples that have changed owners hands for centuries, or museum pieces that have only been restored for preservation purposes? The later will generally have a corroded edge, or an edge that will not even cut a manila rope. I say this because the majority of privately owned relics have been restored, including a professional polish resulting in a sharpened edge. Unless you are a curator or get the special pass, you will never handle a museum piece. Yes, I have personally handled a number of privately owned blades from western Europe and Japan, and I even did apprentice work under Christopher Poor at Arms and Armor in Minnesota in the early 1990s. Poor did indeed have access to museum pieces, and he spent the better part of almost 4 decades looking through original literature on the subject.

Yes, the time period determines the geometry, heat treat/temper, and edge as a function of the external factors of the battle field.

I''ve made a study of the subject for over forty years. I have relationships with many in the museum community. I've had more antiques pass through my hands than any one else on this forum has seen in pictures. Your comments are based on outmoded and obsolete beliefs. You're swerving outside your lane. Please stop.

I''ve made a study of the subject for over forty years. I have relationships with many in the museum community. I've had more antiques pass through my hands than any one else on this forum has seen in pictures. Your comments are based on outmoded and obsolete beliefs. You're swerving outside your lane. Please stop.
    Frankly you began this with a dick measuring contest. Maybe you meant no disrespect, but it was taken.

Frankly you began this with a dick measuring contest. Maybe you meant no disrespect, but it was taken.

It was meant, so you took it in the correct fashion. There's no dick measuring involved in telling you you're wrong. You're perpetuating misinformation that many of us have spent decades refuting. Again, please stop.

I'm basing my opinion on hours spent in the backroom of museums, here ln the US and Europe, examining original weapons that have never been documented in publication, not from information I gained from working with a mid-tier maker of replica weapons back in the 90s. (When none of us knew much).
    Last edited by Trooper224; 12-01-2019 at 08:43 PM.

User Tag List