Thread: Inexpensive 12 Gauge Low-Recoil 00 Practice Ammo?

Site Supporter

Inexpensive 12 Gauge Low-Recoil 00 Practice Ammo?

I just function-tested my 870 that I got back from Wilson Combat where they did their "Remington Steal" package on it, and I'm generally pleased with how it turned out. Unsurprisingly, Federal Flite Control and low-recoil slugs plus Winchester Ranger low-recoil 00 ran flawlessly. Cheap Estate low-recoil 00 that I bought years ago locked up the gun twice in 30 rounds, though it was easily fixed.

I'm looking for inexpensive practice low-recoil 00. I'm not too worried about how it patterns as long as it's not egregiously weird since most of my practice will be within ten yards. I just want to be able to run through a 25-50 round practice session without drama. I'd probably get a case at a time and buy it online.

Recommendations?

How did it lock up? I've seen a new Express 870 lock up due to rough chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm looking for inexpensive practice low-recoil 00. I'm not too worried about how it patterns as long as it's not egregiously weird since most of my practice will be within ten yards. I just want to be able to run through a 25-50 round practice session without drama. I'd probably get a case at a time and buy it online.

Recommendations?
    It’s been a while, but I had no problems with Fiocchi low-recoil buckshot in my Mossberg. The Remington low-recoil buck also ran well.

For just practicing running the gun I used the Federal Top Gun target loads.
    Last edited by peterb; 11-18-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    The S&B 9-pellet 00 buck is inexpensive (usually around $80-$90 per 250), easy to get (SG Ammo almost always seems to have some), easily distinguishable from other ammo (it has clear hulls and a distinctive crimp), and in spite of not being labeled “reduced recoil,” is basically a reduced recoil round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    The S&B 9-pellet 00 buck is inexpensive (usually around $80-$90 per 250), easy to get (SG Ammo almost always seems to have some), easily distinguishable from other ammo (it has clear hulls and a distinctive crimp), and in spite of not being labeled “reduced recoil,” is basically a reduced recoil round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes to S&B. I have ran a bunch of 00 and #4 through my 870 tac 14 hardwood and have been pleased with it. Also ran some through a coach gun.

Recoil was quite mild. Very affordable.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/12-ga...-shot-ammo-sb1

250 rounds for 100 shipped.

OP...post pic of that WC Remington Steal build please.
    Last edited by lwt16; 11-20-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    OP...post pic of that WC Remington Steal build please.
    Name:  IMG_0277.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  97.1 KB

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've shot a lot of S&B buckshot. It tends to be the bulk ammo I shoot most for practice and in class. Doesn't pattern very well, but keeps the recoil realistic and it goes bang reliably.

I do have some worries that the felt wadding they use has caused me a couple of sinus infections, though...but if you aren't being an idiot and shooting thousands of shells of the stuff like me it probably isn't much of a concern.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I found the Fiocchi non-low recoil 00 on sale at Lucky Gunner for $79/case. Customer comments noted that it had less recoil than Winchester and Federal full power loads so I ordered a case. Shipping was about the same as other places but they got me for full sales tax (10.2% where I live) so it came in just over $100. If it's too feisty I'll just limit my practice sessions to a 25-round box instead of two.

Site Supporter
    I took a box of the Fiocchi 00 buck to the range to try it out. It's useable if not as nice as FFC. Recoil is slightly more than FFC, POI is close enough. The target below is the first two rounds through the 870 - the headshot was from five yards, the body shot was from ten, POA was the center of the -0 though I might have pulled the bottom one a bit. I could use this stuff in the house if I needed to, but wouldn't want to shoot farther than that. Feeding, firing, extraction, and ejection were flawless.

Name:  IMG_0288(1).jpg
Views: 304
Size:  26.0 KB
    Last edited by revchuck38; 12-05-2019 at 09:39 PM.

If you guys have access to Geco Competition Buckshot you might want to try it out. Nickel plated 8mm shot that is claimed to be designed for tighter than usual patterns. It's been a while since I shot this ammo so I no longer have a great recollection of what the recoil was like (I'm thinking mildish, but like I said not sure anymore), but the patterns were pretty nice. Not to the level of Federal Flight control, but much better than most budget buckshot. My issue with this ammo was that I had extraction problems, the empty shells would sometimes stick in the chamber of my 870 to the extent that I'd have to almost "mortar" the gun against my thigh to get the empty shell out. Which was a real shame, since if it had functioned well in my gun it would have been a clear winner against just about any 00 buckshot available to me. Like I said, you might wish to try some, if it is available to you. But I wouldn't buy a whole case without first trying a smaller batch.

User Tag List