Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 81-- worth the extra $20 for "handpick?"

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    New .32 ACP shooters may not know that the cartridge case is rimmed. It has a small rim designed to establish headspace. Care should be taken to make certain that rim lock does not occur when loading the magazine. As each round is placed in the magazine, its rim should be positioned in front of the rim of the cartridge under it. Otherwise, malfunction might occur,

The .38 Super is also a rimmed case. It and the .32ACP have very small rims. In the .38 Super this arrangement contributed to these guns being very inaccurate. Sig was the first company to headspace the Super on its case mouth. I bought a Sig 220 in .38 Super in 1986. Much later Colt did the same. BarSto barrels started this trend in the 1970s. I don't remember if Beretta used the case mouth to head space it's .32ACP pistols.
    The perpetual wish of the .32 ACP fan: a non-rimmed .32 auto loaded 100-200 fps faster. Given our small numbers, I doubt it's happening any time soon. I recall an attempt based on shortened. 30 Carbine brass, but obviously that went nowhere. I don't understand what question the .25 NAA and .32 NAA are trying to answer other than "can we put a faster bullet in this gun?"
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    The perpetual wish of the .32 ACP fan: a non-rimmed .32 auto loaded 100-200 fps faster. Given our small numbers, I doubt it's happening any time soon. I recall an attempt based on shortened. 30 Carbine brass, but obviously that went nowhere. I don't understand what question the .25 NAA and .32 NAA are trying to answer other than "can we put a faster bullet in this gun?"
    There's the .32 French Long, but that's pretty much unobtainum in the USA.
    I'm not sure how well that works IRL.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    The .25 NAA is rimless. I would have liked to see it become more popular for that reason alone. It would serve essentially the same purpose as .32 auto in a more intrinsically reliable package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There's the .32 French Long, but that's pretty much unobtainum in the USA.
    I'm not sure how well that works IRL.
    I think of that one as "the cartridge Gun Jesus wants." I believe Starline just starting making brass.

This isn't a burning enough urge for me to mess with oddball cartridges. I just want a commercial update.

But, hell, the Russians are still dealing with a fully-rimmed battle rifle cartridge. First world problems....
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I've owned numerous .32ACP pistols and like them but never fooled myself that they were adequate self defense handguns. Some shoot better than others and a few specimens within brands have been quite accurate. Most of mine had oversized bores. Kel Ted makes a really nifty little .32. Finding a Kel Tec that functions was my problem. Hence, I can't recommend their nifty .32. I tired of sending them back even when they paid the freight.

Since .380 and .32 ACP have the same case diameter, but .380 is rimless, I always assumed .32 NAA was answering the question, “Can we actually make a .32/.380 sized gun that has good penetration and expansion.

If there was a proper all copper HP in .32, we would.

Also, if .32 NAA were actually chambered in a gun you wanted to shoot like a PPK or Beretta 85, etc.

I will admit a strange lust for a French SACM Mle 1935A.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Since .380 and .32 ACP have the same case diameter, but .380 is rimless, I always assumed .32 NAA was answering the question, “Can we actually make a .32/.380 sized gun that has good penetration and expansion.

If there was a proper all copper HP in .32, we would.

Also, if .32 NAA were actually chambered in a gun you wanted to shoot like a PPK or Beretta 85, etc.
    Ok, that makes some sense. But if I had a .380, I would probably stick with FMJ or non-expanding JHP, just like I do in .32 ACP, and I would do the same in .32 NAA. Which is why I would stick with .380.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I've owned numerous .32ACP pistols and like them but never fooled myself that they were adequate self defense handguns. Some shoot better than others and a few specimens within brands have been quite accurate. Most of mine had oversized bores. Kel Ted makes a really nifty little .32. Finding a Kel Tec that functions was my problem. Hence, I can't recommend their nifty .32. I tired of sending them back even when they paid the freight.
    Did you try S&B and/or Fiocchi ammo? Mine dislikes slower stuff, I only have had rimlock with Winchester FMJ. Fiocchi runs great in my gun when it is dirty enough to have FTF with PPU ammo on every shot. There is a reason the owner's manual gives a greenlight to out-of-SAMMI-spec ammo.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 11-18-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Depending on the specific problems you had with your Kel-Tec .32 pistols, I have found that Wolff 11 lb. recoil springs solved all of the problems I had. The standard 9 pound springs are just not quite enough.

I also found that the .32 functions best with the original plastic guide rod, not the optional steel guide rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List