Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 81-- worth the extra $20 for "handpick?"

Beretta 81-- worth the extra $20 for "handpick?"

https://dkfirearms.com/product/surpl...heetah-32-acp/

My irrational. 32 desires rear their ugly head...plus I just showed it to Mrs. Anders and she was enthusiastic. Worth the extra $20 for a theoretically prettier gun?

And how much are mags for this puppy?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    $20 is the cost of a hamburger, fries, and soft drink for two people at a fast foods burger joint. Take the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    https://dkfirearms.com/product/surpl...heetah-32-acp/

My irrational. 32 desires rear their ugly head...plus I just showed it to Mrs. Anders and she was enthusiastic. Worth the extra $20 for a theoretically prettier gun?

And how much are mags for this puppy?
    Mags are mostly unobtanium right now. Classic has used surplus for $35 each. Beretta USA was out, got some in and they disappeared in about 30 minutes. As best I recall they were just over $40. They will eventually turn up once the gougers find a different honey pot.

I have one that was not hand picked but is in good shape. The grip panels show some wear and the bluing was a bit thin but otherwise a nice piece. It's also quite accurate and a pure pleasure to shoot.

ETA: DKFirearms is promising a shipment of surplus mags around January 2020.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 11-17-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Thanks for the info and the enabling. ☺

Admittedly, this is my second choice in double-stack .32s, (First=CZ-83) but I have wanted one ever since reading "Great Combat Handguns" back in 1989 or so. My wife loves her Tomcat, but I bet she will like this more.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    $20 is the cost of a hamburger, fries, and soft drink for two people at a fast foods burger joint. Take the gamble.
    That is some solid logic.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Actually, after looking at at a CZ-83 on Gunbroker, I want this more.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

If you don't spend the extra twenty and get one that looks like crap, you'll kick yourself thereafter. It's only twenty bucks, go big or go home.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Always pay for the handpick - I've only been able to compare a 'handpick' to a non 'handpick' firearm from the same batch a few times in my life, but I've always been happy I paid the difference when I did.

If I may suggest, consider instead a Beretta 81BB vs the non-BB model. The BB gets much better sights and the frame is striated on the front and rear instead of smooth, and if you cross-shop the BB can be had for a very similar price right now:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/used-....eZPYLHzyIzwDg

No handpick option from Gander, but a friend bought an 81BB from that batch at Gander and was very satisfied with the condition. Some holster wear but clearly a low round count.

The mag shortage is the only real downside at the moment.

Site Supporter
    New .32 ACP shooters may not know that the cartridge case is rimmed. It has a small rim designed to establish headspace. Care should be taken to make certain that rim lock does not occur when loading the magazine. As each round is placed in the magazine, its rim should be positioned in front of the rim of the cartridge under it. Otherwise, malfunction might occur,

The .38 Super is also a rimmed case. It and the .32ACP have very small rims. In the .38 Super this arrangement contributed to these guns being very inaccurate. Sig was the first company to headspace the Super on its case mouth. I bought a Sig 220 in .38 Super in 1986. Much later Colt did the same. BarSto barrels started this trend in the 1970s. I don't remember if Beretta used the case mouth to head space it's .32ACP pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Always pay for the handpick - I've only been able to compare a 'handpick' to a non 'handpick' firearm from the same batch a few times in my life, but I've always been happy I paid the difference when I did.

If I may suggest, consider instead a Beretta 81BB vs the non-BB model. The BB gets much better sights and the frame is striated on the front and rear instead of smooth, and if you cross-shop the BB can be had for a very similar price right now:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/used-....eZPYLHzyIzwDg

No handpick option from Gander, but a friend bought an 81BB from that batch at Gander and was very satisfied with the condition. Some holster wear but clearly a low round count.

The mag shortage is the only real downside at the moment.
    You had me at "better sights."

Thanks!
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List