Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 81-- worth the extra $20 for "handpick?"

Site Supporter
    I gave up on Kel Tec before trying their .32.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Did you try S&B and/or Fiocchi ammo? Mine dislikes slower stuff, I only have had rimlock with Winchester FMJ. Fiocchi runs great in my gun when it is dirty enough to have FTF with PPU ammo on every shot. There is a reason the owner's manual gives a greenlight to out-of-SAMMI-spec ammo.
    I should have clarified that I gave up on KT handguns before buying the .32. I may try one, though. I need a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I will admit a strange lust for a French SACM Mle 1935A.
    Not so strange, mon ami.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Depending on the specific problems you had with your Kel-Tec .32 pistols, I have found that Wolff 11 lb. recoil springs solved all of the problems I had. The standard 9 pound springs are just not quite enough.

I also found that the .32 functions best with the original plastic guide rod, not the optional steel guide rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mine has the steel rod and original springs. I think each p32 is its own critter. It is a sub-7oz gun.

Before someone makes the Kel-Tec crack, I would respond most Kel-Tec models that suck, suck in the same way from example to example. Like how Sub-2000s have no recoil management systems. $1 in rubber would screw the bottom line, evidently.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I should have clarified that I gave up on KT handguns before buying the .32. I may try one, though. I need a project.
    I like shooting mine. I wish they made a .22 in the same size.

Is it the shitty trigger? The craptastic sights? (I gave mine a hideous but functional paintjob to make sighting a possibility)

Talon grips have at least made it feel kinda OK.

Maybe it's the thrill of running the most influential semiauto handgun since the Glock. 😈
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I had three of the single stack 9mm's and two of the 380's. None could be made to run. I refer to 3 and 4 malfunctions per 20 rounds attempted. Some of the total of five were new replacements. I got on the shit list on the Kel Tec forum when I reported these experiences. I was writing without sarcasm or hyperbole. Some told me that occasional malfunctions were ok. Never before had I heard such bull crap. I have not owned one during the last dozen years. I would carry a Roman candle and Bic lighter before I carried either of the above two. Or gimme a big stick. I tried. I would very much like to have a KT .32 that worked. Just because.

Mention was made of increasing recoil spring weight. I did this in two LCP's with great success. On another person's KT 380, I suggested the same and at the same time, I suggested adding an extra external extractor spring for a total of two springs. Also I relieved the extractor in such a way to increase bite on the case. Then I recommended an extra power mag spring. Finally, I told him to run S&B ammo. His pistol has worked flawlessly for several hundred rounds.

Site Supporter
    Both my P-32 and P3AT requires recoil springs 2 lb. higher than factory standard to achieve 100% reliability, but both are now 100% reliable.

Three friends have also had good results with their P3AT pistols. None of the three would have accepted less than 100% reliability, which I agree would be stupid.

I also use +10% extra power magazine springs in both guns, but believe their contribution to reliability is smaller.

Crimson Trace LaserGuards are almost mandatory with these guns given the virtually useless sights. Holsters that accommodate this combination are plentiful.

Do not do the “fluff and buff” recommended on some other websites. Numerous guns have been taken out of spec by this procedure.

I tried a steel guide for in my P-32 and quickly went back to the plastic guide rod.

The P-32 remains my top recommendation for people who need something really tiny, and who, for whatever reason, do not want the recoil of a .380 in that size gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I will admit a strange lust for a French SACM Mle 1935A.
    Many years ago I had a French MAS 38 7.62L sub machine gun. Ammo was hard to find. I located a large quantity in a pawn shop in Georgia. Recoil was nil. The gun functioned in a sporadic fashion by running the shorter .32ACP round which head-spaced on the extractor. At the risk of being flamed I will point out that one can fire .380 ammo through 9mm pistols because it too will headspace on the extractor. The same is true for 40 S&W ammo fired in 10 mm auto pistols. Note that because I might do certain things, I am not recommending that anyone else do them.

My phone's camera doesn't seem to like taking pics of a black gun indoors, so I won't post the horrible pics I took of my 81 BB, but if mine is typical or even close to it, I would go for the handpick. It looks almost brand new. Like it was taken out, a couple of mags put through it, and put away for a couple of decades. There is some kind of sticker residue on one of the grip panels, but the gun itself has nearly no wear, inside or out. At this point, I have an 81BB, an 85, an 84BB, and a Browning BDA 380. All were LEO trade ins, and the 81 BB is the best looking of the bunch, and even with the hand pick, it was the cheapest one of them. The 85 is the worst looking, it's only about 85% condition. I would give the 81 BB about 97%

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Always pay for the handpick - I've only been able to compare a 'handpick' to a non 'handpick' firearm from the same batch a few times in my life, but I've always been happy I paid the difference when I did.

If I may suggest, consider instead a Beretta 81BB vs the non-BB model. The BB gets much better sights and the frame is striated on the front and rear instead of smooth, and if you cross-shop the BB can be had for a very similar price right now:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/used-....eZPYLHzyIzwDg

No handpick option from Gander, but a friend bought an 81BB from that batch at Gander and was very satisfied with the condition. Some holster wear but clearly a low round count.

The mag shortage is the only real downside at the moment.
    Ordered.

I should probably spring for some original wood grips too, shouldn't I?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List