Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SRO What Size MOA?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Not exactly apples to apples as I am referring to different optic brands but I've had a personal experience with 2.0, 2.5, 3.25, 5.0, 6.5, and 8.0 MOA dots. Unless I am contemplating bullseye competition, I would not willingly choose anything under 5.0. I am slowly divesting from 2.5 DPPs for games and setting my carry guns with 6.5 RMRs.
    As far as cranking the 2.5 up, you get a blooming effect and you lose the dot border definitions.
    Learning has occurred!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

5 forever, 2.5 never

2 2.5 SROs and 2 5.0 SROs here. One of each required replacement by Trijicon. 5.0 is definitely better for practical shooting. SRO dot appears to my eyes smaller than other dots of nominally equal size. SRO 2.5 looks smaller than DPP 2.5. SRO 5.0 appears smaller and crisper than RMR 3.25, shield 4.0 or docter 3.5. Could just be my eyes or an illusion. SRO 5.0 is best looking and most useful rds I've used thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK View Post
    2 2.5 SROs and 2 5.0 SROs here. One of each required replacement by Trijicon. 5.0 is definitely better for practical shooting. SRO dot appears to my eyes smaller than other dots of nominally equal size. SRO 2.5 looks smaller than DPP 2.5. SRO 5.0 appears smaller and crisper than RMR 3.25, shield 4.0 or docter 3.5. Could just be my eyes or an illusion. SRO 5.0 is best looking and most useful rds I've used thus far.
    What was the operation of the dots like before they failed. ie were there any indicators?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What was the operation of the dots like before they failed. ie were there any indicators?
    One of the 2.5 MOA had no auto adjust mode out of the box. Didn't actually need it because it's far less effective than the RMR's auto adjust, but figured faulty electronics should be replaced. Trijicon replaced promptly.

One of the 5 MOA before it hit 500 rounds started turning off unpredictably while shooting. Good practice going to backup irons. Trijicon replaced promptly.

Been focusing on iron sights ever since. I'm sure at some point I'll haul out the dots again to facilitate getting to the next level with irons. Dots are good for that.

Being I just ordered myself a 5 minute, good to hear that’s the preferred dot size. Being I run an 8 on my open gun with old school CMore, (dang I remember when that was the hot newness), a 5 made the most sense.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I got the Trijicon SCR in 5 MOA. Installed in on the Walthers PPQ M5 and it's just what my eyes needed. Turning the power down or up will adjust the dot size. I am glad I didn't get the 2.5.

For those that are transitioning to the larger MOA dots can you give me detail and explanation for the preference?

Is this a pretty consistent preference across multiple brands and models or just the SRO?

Better visibility allowing for easier and faster dot pickup, especially in adverse lighting conditions.
    Lesser propensity to washout.
    No need to crank the intensity to improve visibility, thus avoiding excessive blooming.
    Easier streak tracking when shooting at speed.
    No practical effect on long distance accuracy.

Those are my personal observations. Some people reported less perceived wobble with larger dots, I have not noticed that.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I recently decide to give the SRO another shot after getting a defective unit early on. I was previously using 3.25 MOA RMRs, and my defective SRO was the 2.5 MOA.

I decided to go with 5 MOA this time, mostly because of this thread. I’m very glad that I did. The SROs seem to have cleaner dots than the RMRs so I don’t get as much blooming from my astigmatism, which is why I preferred the smaller dot before. The 5 MOA is still plenty precise and very easy to track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find smaller dots work well on long guns, larger dots are better on handguns. The 3.25 RMR on my Benelli M2 centers the dot perfectly every time because the index is the same every time. The 5 MOA SRO is my favorite pistol RDS not just because the window size/shape makes finding the dot easier, but the dot itself seems sharper and perfectly sized for rapid acquisition. I had Primary Machine mill one of my CZ Shadows for the SRO 5; what a great combo:

Name:  4E300098-2D41-47AC-A521-181DDFB75FAA.jpg
Views: 4855
Size:  54.7 KB

User Tag List