Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Illumination Tool Carry

Site Supporter
    Small Surefire with a clip in my back pants pocket. Photon light or similar on my keychain. I ground down the sharp crenelations of the light to nice smooth curves to avoid fabric wear. If it comes to bopping folks in the idea, those edges don't make difference.

An Olight I3T is always clipped in my left front pocket. Incredibly useful little light; I keep a spare in my truck in case I lose it.

If I'm wearing a jacket, I'll also have something a little bigger in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    In my experience, there are three practical ways to regularly carry a light;
    Out of these three methods, I use method 4, keyring carry.

My primary light is an older Klarus clipped to the pocket of my trousers. My backup light is a tiny little Olight i3E EOS that is a part of my key chain. I carry both lights any time I have my trousers on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    They are finger lanyards, something I have come to appreciate. They allow retention of the light when both hands are needed. When used in conjunction with a handgun, they allow for tasks such as clearing stoppages, magazine changes, etc. without having to first do something with the light.

When I took the Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Academy, the value of the finger lanyard became fully apparent. I can simply let go of the light and take care of the two-hand tasks, then have instant access to the light again.

All of my finger lanyards feature a break-away in the event an assailant gains control of the light. With a strong tug, the lanyard separates from the light.

This is a zipper pull off of my backpack

The practicality of it for me is that while I'm walking my rounds at night I have to periodically scan things with a cell phone (21st century Detonics Clock) and and this allows me to manipulate the cell phone without having to put my flashlight up everytime I pull the cell phone out

I carry a Fenix PD30 in my weak side front pocket always on the farthest left part of the pant. Essentially a mirror image of my right side front pocket with my knife. I like a 2 cell light because I feel a 1 cell light would be hard to extract and the real estate it takes up for me would be the same (I wouldn't put anything on top of or below a one cell light) so I might as well just carry the 2 cell version.

I'm rethinking switchology though. Current Fenix is click to on or half click for momentary. I always have bezel switched to turbo mode. However, I have recently had the light turn on accidently without my knowledge and I thought my leg was in fire till I realized what the hell happened.

I would love a light with a momentary on tail cap that goes into brightest setting with the option of a twist of bezel or tailcap to get a approx 100 lumen (I never use below medium on the Fenix). It would be even more great if you could twist for constant on in either mode if necessary. I haven't had enough time to research lights as of yet though.

Banned
    Of course, the odds of my actually needing a flashlight tonight are almost non-existent.

I received my Kytex Gear horizontal light carrier yesterday and have to say, it's working superbly for my MD3 lights.

I have several Malkoff lights on the "9P size" MD3 body. One is my "fight light" with a M91T head and Surefire tailcap, the other has a M91B head installed and uses the standard Malkoff tailcap. Here is a photo of the latter, which is used daily in the winter months to take the dogs out for their first and final walks of the day;

Both of the lights use a Solarforce lanyard ring to secure my DIY finger lanyards to the light.

Here is a close-up of the carrier;

As the light is inserted, the loop of the lanyard ring travels through the slot at the top of the carrier;

Once the light is all the way home, I give the light a slight twist so that the loop is no longer aligned with the slot. This effectively secures the light in the carrier;

To extract the light, I rotate the light back while keeping a little pull on the light. Once the loop aligns with the slot, it comes right out. It's amazingly simple yet very secure, and wearing the carrier at around the 11:00 to 11:30 position is so comfortable I cannot feel it's there. Comfortable, secure, fast access - I am very pleased with how this carrier is working with the lights I intended to use with it!

Site Supporter
    I have a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA that rides in my pocket everywhere. Day to day its loose in my left front pants pocket along with my benchmade (lower profile for less permissive environment). Other times it may be clipped to the pocket or other times clipped to a pocket carry mag pouch.

Takes a single CR123 lithium or AA, has three modes begining with high then strobe, and finally low. Its ten tap programmable though I've never bothered as I like how its setup from the factory.

Price was around $45, its reasonably bright, durable, efficient, and small and I really like it. I need to pick up a few extras to keep in the truck, wife and daughters purses, etc

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I have a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA that rides in my pocket everywhere. Day to day its loose in my left front pants pocket along with my benchmade (lower profile for less permissive environment). Other times it may be clipped to the pocket or other times clipped to a pocket carry mag pouch.

Takes a single CR123 lithium or AA, has three modes begining with high then strobe, and finally low. Its ten tap programmable though I've never bothered as I like how its setup from the factory.

Price was around $45, its reasonably bright, durable, efficient, and small and I really like it. I need to pick up a few extras to keep in the truck, wife and daughters purses, etc
    I really like these lights for travel. If I end up with a dead battery, locating an AA might be faster and easier than locating a CR123.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I really like these lights for travel. If I end up with a dead battery, locating an AA might be faster and easier than locating a CR123.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And it will take a AAA battery as well if you are careful to keep it centered as you screw the cap on. High output is brighter than any other single cell AAA light I've tried (obviously not as bright as AA or CR123) but doesn't last long.
    Adam

User Tag List