Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Illumination Tool Carry

Off-side back pocket most often. If it has a clip, great; if not, then it just goes in the pocket.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Based on other threads discussing lights - and how we carry them only in a peripheral manner - I thought I'd start a dedicated thread on how we carry our illumination tools.

In my experience, there are three practical ways to regularly carry a light;

In-the-bottom-of-the-pocket Carry

Pros: (1) extremely secure; (2) extremely convenient (just drop the light into your pocket).
    Cons: (1) only works with small lights; (2) inconvenient to access light

My EDC lights are for task use only so quick access is not a top priority. They are small enough (especially my 1-cell Quark) to ride in a front pants pocket very comfortably;

Clipped-in-a-pocket Carry

Pros: (1) depending on the light and clip, can offer a reasonable degree of security from accidental dislodging; (2) Reasonably easy access to light; (3) depending on the size of the light, reasonable comfort
    Cons: (1) depending on the light and clip, can be easily dislodged resulting in loss of light; (2) larger lights may not be as comfortable to carry this way

With well-designed clips on these 2-cell E-series lights, they ride securely with reasonable comfort and ease of access;

The two lights pictured below can also ride clipped in a front pocket, but not quite as well as the two lights pictured above. While ease-of-access is good for both, the shorter 2-cell does not extend far into the pocket and depends almost entirely on clip tension to secure it. The 3-cell extends far enough into the pocket to provide adequate security but is not quite as comfortable as smaller lights;

I'll carry the 3-cell light this way, but not the 2-cell as it doesn't feel secure enough to prevent accidental dislodging and possible loss.

Holster Carry

Assuming a well-designed light carrier;

Pros: (1) good security, not prone to accidental dislodging; (2) ease of access is excellent; (2) with a two or three cell light, good comfort
    Cons: (1) not as convenient as other methods, requires placing carrier on belt; (2) like a gun holster, requires an adequate belt; (3) not as concealable, though this isn't really an issue with a flashlight

The carrier below is made by Kydex Gear, shown with a 3-cell Malkoff light inserted;

This is quickly becoming my preferred method for carrying anything larger than a small pocket light. I can carry a larger light more securely, more accessible and more comfortably than a light clipped in a pocket. The Kytex Gear carrier is easy to place on the belt and easy to remove, yet holds securely on my Instructor Belt.

I have a Kytex Gear horizontal carrier on order which I'm going to experiment with. I'm thinking it might be perfect for carrying a 2-cell 6P size light with all the benefits of the vertical carrier but with improved concealability. I will report back in this thread with my findings.

With something like the Quark riding in the bottom of a pants pocket, and a "fight light" riding in a belt carrier, I feel adequately prepared for whatever the darkness may bring. So, how do you carry your light(s)?
    Can you explain the loops?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Can you explain the loops?
    They are finger lanyards, something I have come to appreciate. They allow retention of the light when both hands are needed. When used in conjunction with a handgun, they allow for tasks such as clearing stoppages, magazine changes, etc. without having to first do something with the light.

When I took the Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Academy, the value of the finger lanyard became fully apparent. I can simply let go of the light and take care of the two-hand tasks, then have instant access to the light again.

All of my finger lanyards feature a break-away in the event an assailant gains control of the light. With a strong tug, the lanyard separates from the light.

Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-18-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    They are finger lanyards, something I have come to appreciate. They allow retention of the light when both hands are needed. When used in conjunction with a handgun, they allow for tasks such as clearing stoppages, magazine changes, etc. without having to first do something with the light.

When I took the Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Academy, the value of the finger lanyard became fully apparent. I can simply let go of the light and take care of the two-hand tasks, then have instant access to the light again.

All of my finger lanyards feature a break-away in the event an assailant gains control of the light. With a strong tug, the lanyard separates from the light.

Both of my lights come with lanyards but they're wrist lanyards and I do use them I just sometimes wonder if the finger loop might be a better idea.

When I worked as a roving guard and I had to wear external body armor I had my bigger flashlight tethered to the armor so that if I had to I could just let it go and not lose it.

Versus a wrist lanyard, I think the main advantage of a finger lanyard is that the light never really leaves the hand but frees up all fingers. With a bit of practice a proper grip on the light can be reestablished very quickly.

Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA clipped in pocket, support side.

For years ran a 6p or G2 support side in a Kydex vertical carrier. That is the absolute best way for security and rapid use. Just not as concealable at times.

Hammertime
    1AA Zebralight warm LED (amazing color).

Used to clip, but for the past couple years swapped to bottom of pocket carry and could not be happier.

If I am carrying a larger tactical light while running or hiking in darkness, it is typically in hand all the time. I use it to spotlight occasionally while a small headlight (or the moon) gives most of my illumination.

Site Supporter
    Now-Quark in the bottom of the left pocket. Back in the day:

"For years ran a 6p or G2 support side in a Kydex vertical carrier. That is the absolute best way for security and rapid use. Just not as concealable at times."

I did the same thing using a leather vertical carrier.

Sidekick with clip in the phone/cargo pocket pretty much every day. For dog walks at 0-dark, I have a G2Z Pro in a coat pocket. I'm in MD, so live in a NPE state

Site Supporter
    Name:  20191119_091619.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  60.2 KBName:  20191119_091654.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  39.9 KB

On my right side is a Nitecore Tip on a retractable key holder. I use it for the rental house inspections I do. Right front is my Malkoff. It's for emergency use and I can grab it with either hand. Left side is my FourSevens Smart Quark. With my shirt untucked it covers the lights. The little pouch on the left front is carried iwb. It has one extra 123a battery and a small tube of blood clotting powder I found at Walgreens.
    My gun rides AIWB above my Malkoff. It has a TLR-6 on it.
    --Jason--

User Tag List