Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Illumination Tool Carry

Illumination Tool Carry

Based on other threads discussing lights - and how we carry them only in a peripheral manner - I thought I'd start a dedicated thread on how we carry our illumination tools.

In my experience, there are three practical ways to regularly carry a light;

In-the-bottom-of-the-pocket Carry

Pros: (1) extremely secure; (2) extremely convenient (just drop the light into your pocket).
    Cons: (1) only works with small lights; (2) inconvenient to access light

My EDC lights are for task use only so quick access is not a top priority. They are small enough (especially my 1-cell Quark) to ride in a front pants pocket very comfortably;

Clipped-in-a-pocket Carry

Pros: (1) depending on the light and clip, can offer a reasonable degree of security from accidental dislodging; (2) Reasonably easy access to light; (3) depending on the size of the light, reasonable comfort
    Cons: (1) depending on the light and clip, can be easily dislodged resulting in loss of light; (2) larger lights may not be as comfortable to carry this way

With well-designed clips on these 2-cell E-series lights, they ride securely with reasonable comfort and ease of access;

The two lights pictured below can also ride clipped in a front pocket, but not quite as well as the two lights pictured above. While ease-of-access is good for both, the shorter 2-cell does not extend far into the pocket and depends almost entirely on clip tension to secure it. The 3-cell extends far enough into the pocket to provide adequate security but is not quite as comfortable as smaller lights;

I'll carry the 3-cell light this way, but not the 2-cell as it doesn't feel secure enough to prevent accidental dislodging and possible loss.

Holster Carry

Assuming a well-designed light carrier;

Pros: (1) good security, not prone to accidental dislodging; (2) ease of access is excellent; (2) with a two or three cell light, good comfort
    Cons: (1) not as convenient as other methods, requires placing carrier on belt; (2) like a gun holster, requires an adequate belt; (3) not as concealable, though this isn't really an issue with a flashlight

The carrier below is made by Kydex Gear, shown with a 3-cell Malkoff light inserted;

This is quickly becoming my preferred method for carrying anything larger than a small pocket light. I can carry a larger light more securely, more accessible and more comfortably than a light clipped in a pocket. The Kytex Gear carrier is easy to place on the belt and easy to remove, yet holds securely on my Instructor Belt.

I have a Kytex Gear horizontal carrier on order which I'm going to experiment with. I'm thinking it might be perfect for carrying a 2-cell 6P size light with all the benefits of the vertical carrier but with improved concealability. I will report back in this thread with my findings.

With something like the Quark riding in the bottom of a pants pocket, and a "fight light" riding in a belt carrier, I feel adequately prepared for whatever the darkness may bring. So, how do you carry your light(s)?
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-17-2019 at 08:38 AM.

2AA light in a belt holster on my left side. I did field service work for many years. A multitool and a light were always on my belt, and I got used to it.

Site Supporter
    If I am wearing a sweater, jacket, or untucked shirt, a Malkoff Bodyguard version 2 is on my belt in a Custom Carry Concepts basic light pouch, in front of my spare magazines.

If I am in summer business casual attire, a Malkoff Bodyguard version 1 is in the bottom of my left front pocket along with keys, change, a folding knife clipped to the pocket, and a spare magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Does calling it an illumination tool mean we can charge more for them?

My Microstream light is always clipped in my L front pocket. If it's dark outside my Protac 2LX light is clipped in my left cargo pocket.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Does calling it an illumination tool mean we can charge more for them?

My Microstream light is always clipped in my L front pocket. If it's dark outside my Protac 2LX light is clipped in my left cargo pocket.
    Only if it's a proctoscope.

I'm very pedestrian. I clip mine to a pants pocket or have it in my hand. (Except for headlamps.)

Perhaps the illumination tool is the person carrying the light. Hmmm...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Roll the loop in during carry and it stays to where you can one finger out of your pocket into the right position
    Name:  E9BD7734-AE46-448B-9FED-CA94D9962381.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  358D5C78-67B4-40EC-932B-20ABCA92ED15.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  27.7 KB

I carry an Eagtac single AA light clipped to my left front pants pocket near the rear of the pocket or close to the pants seam. The clip on this light is super sturdy and secure so no worries about losing it. It screws onto the light body with 3 screws and you can bend it for tighter or looser tension. I run the light with the bezel screwed down so just 3 settings instead of many and it comes on at the brightest first with the tail cap.

I tried using a single AAA which was OK for light output but the clip was no secure enough. I think it was a Fenix. I would like to go back to a single AAA for less bulk but haven't found one that works. I also use a keychain light that is 500 lumens and USB rechargable. It has a clip but is super tiny and the switch is on the side so it doesn't work as well for me. If it was a bit longer and/or had a tailcap switch I would switch to it.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Only if it's a proctoscope.
    And the anesthesia is the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Perhaps the illumination tool is the person carrying the light. Hmmm...
    E, that certainly applies to me!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    E, that certainly applies to me!
    I had no one in mind and I suppose any gear queer would qualify. That said, "tool" is one of the milder things I've been called over the years.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I carry a Surefire Stiletto clipped to the rear of my support-side front pocket, 4Sevens Preon 1 clipped to my ankle trauma kit, and Fenix E01 on my keychain. I’m way happier with the Stiletto than I thought I would be and have had no issues with it activating in my pocket.

User Tag List