Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown M&Ps

Ed Brown 1911s have always been great looking guns. I believe the original purpose was to get something handcrafted for reliability, and made to look great. With these polymer guns, they start off reliable. And they aren't made to look good either.

To be honest, I don't get it. I almost feel like it cheapens Ed Brown 1911s a bit to be associated with these.

And this is from a young guy who doesn't mind polymer guns.

-Cory

For $2k I’d rather have a Dan Wesson DWX and extra mags.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Ed Brown 1911s have always been great looking guns. I believe the original purpose was to get something handcrafted for reliability, and made to look great. With these polymer guns, they start off reliable. And they aren't made to look good either.

To be honest, I don't get it. I almost feel like it cheapens Ed Brown 1911s a bit to be associated with these.

And this is from a young guy who doesn't mind polymer guns.

-Cory
    All the changes at Ed Brown started a couple years ago when they hired John May as their sales and marketing director. John used to be the sales director at Wilson Combat. I met him once, seems like a nice guy, but like I said earlier, I’ve not been thrilled with where the company is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who dislikes the look of slides with chunks milled out of them. Is there really a performance benefit or do people do it because they think it looks cool?
    I don't like slides with holes either. Unless it's for barrel porting like the Glock compensated models. That, and I wish I could get a damn pistol other than a 1911 (I know, two world wars) without rails on the dust cover
    Last edited by Navyguns; 11-18-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I actually really like the M&P pattern handguns. My carry gun is a grip chopped full sized 9mm with stippling, a thumb safety, and a KKM barrel and my brother shoots USPSA with a police trade in .40 that he got for less than 300 bucks.
    Chopped grip and KKM barrel? Tell me more.

I just reacquired an M&P 1.0 9mm FS, with a thumb safety, that is L&M Milled for a Deltapoint (my dad's "old man" gun). The DP's adjustment screws, but I called Leupold and they said, "Send it in, we'll fix it." So, I'll do that and then think about what to do with this gun. I was reminded that I like the feel of the M&P for the most part, wish it was a little flatter on the backstrap, but the thumb safety is basically perfect placement for a 1911 shooter.

I converted it to 9mm with an Apex barrel and put a flat trigger and forward set sear in it and the gun is truly silly to shoot.
    I had an M&P before with the Apex flat trigger and FSS kit and with the medium weight sear spring, it was an amazing trigger (for a striker gun), overall.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Site Supporter
    I actually got this pistol courtesy of a fellow PF'er in the FSOT section, so I'll see if I can find out who did the work, but it is definitely my go to lately since my Colt's front sight unstaked itself.

My pinky hangs off the bottom but as a G26 sized grip I've got no issues with that. The thumb safety is a main reason I've chosen the Smith and Wesson pistols over the Glocks, but the other is that I just shoot them better. For whatever reason, regardless of tricked out triggers or no, I can shoot the M&P better.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

What is this supposed to do, for $2K besides look ugly?

The website says its more accurate. Er...how accurate? Other than that the only positive thing I see done is aftermarket sights and an apex flat trigger. I was able to do all that and still have all in less than $1,000 WITH a sub 3 lb trigger job.

Quote Originally Posted by Navyguns View Post
    I don't like slides with holes either. Unless it's for barrel porting like the Glock compensated models. That, and I wish I could get a damn pistol other than a 1911 (I know, two world wars) without rails on the dust cover
    Sounds like you want a Beretta 92...

Site Supporter
    No company that I've seen has ever gotten a disinterested third party to shoot the bling guns side by side against a stock or slightly modified pistol. I don't recall seeing any forum posts to that effect either. If there is any performance advantage, it must be miniscule, otherwise some data would have found its way into the marketing material.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Navyguns View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    Sounds like you want a Beretta 92...
    Here's a new one:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92x-compact/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List