Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me HK

I own a P30L and an HK45C, both in light LEM. Both have been flawlessly reliable with about 8,000 rounds each. I prefer the HK45C as I think it has a slightly better trigger release and I prefer the grip, especially with Talon grips. If I shoot fast, I'd have to give the edge to the P30L because of recoil recovery. It's been pointed out that the rail on the HK45C is short enough to be pretty much useless. If it came down to owning only one gun, I'd pick the HK45C.
    Last edited by Tom Duffy; 11-17-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Real guns have hammers.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...if I were forced to own only one handgun, period, for all use cases, it would a USP/c LEM. And their 10 round magazines work flawlessly if our sinking freedoms ever leave me there.
    This is where I am right now. I've said before that if for some reason I had to start all over, and I was in CA, a pair of USP9c's and a 1301 would be how I started. Apart from Fudd guns and rimfires, there wouldn't really be much reason to go farther.

Start with a 9mm Compact. It's CC-able, it has the USP trigger system so you can figure out your Goldilocks version, mags are compatible with P2000/P30/VP9 series. It's only two rounds less than the FS standard system.

Or just go big.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-17-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

You are trying to solve an equation with too many variables. What caliber do you want? If it was me, the answer would be 9mm for almost every application. I don’t care what state I’m in. I have no use for .45, even in a 10 round state.

Now, what size gun do you want?

The USP/c would be my choice if I couldn’t have a p30 or p30sk LEM
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I carry either a P2000 or P30 LEM, 9mm, AIWB. Both are as they came with the exception of the sights.

If I had to choose only one, it would be the P30 but I like the little smaller size of the P2000 in the summer months.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 11-17-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You are trying to solve an equation with too many variables. What caliber do you want?
    It doesn't matter to me. I'll continue shooting 9mm for competition. If I want to shoot the HK in competition, I only shoot club matches, anyways, so it's less than 100 rounds for any match. For carry, either caliber is fine, Federal HST comes in both calibers and is 5-bucks a box different in price.

Now, what size gun do you want?
    I lean more towards a compact-sized gun for carry. Which is why the only full-size gun in consideration is the USP.

HK45 Compact
    P2000
    USP

In that order, fwiw.

@RevolverRob

If the USP feels good in the hand then definitely get one. you'll be pleased. I'm kicking myself for selling my USP 40. it shot tremendously. in 9mm it feels strange as in "underchambered". with wimpy loads it barely ejects. the gun runs reliably in 9mm but it's clearly designed around something with a bit more momentum. the USP compact models are a pistol for which I have zero use. as a compact pistol they don't check any more boxes than a P2000.

to me the primary difference between the USP 45 and an HK45 is the recoil reduction system. the USP's dual spring system is noticeably softer shooting than the delrin/plastic ring of the HK45. I'm not convinced there's much difference in durability but they do shoot differently. both are tremendous pistols. there currently appear to be some USP 45 experts on the market at decent price. i would consider that route if for no other reason the resale value is solid. the main draw to a P2000 or P30 is the decocker. I find it perfect. if the HK45 utilized a P2000/P30 rear decocker I would be even more enthusiastic towards it. the P30 or P30L appear to me like the most highly evolved HK pistol including the magazine compatibility. unless you're set on 45acp chambering I would go with a P2000 or P30. the P30L is nice too although I take the P30 out of the safe far more often than the P30L. I have found they shoot similarly but then again I'm not on a timer.

despite my attempts, I have never warmed up to LEM and have thus abandoned it. nothing wrong with it per se but I found it bizarre. TDA comes more naturally to me. with a USP if one acquires a V1 or standard model then can install the LEM. if starting with an LEM, HK has historically refused to sell the V1 parts. if i were considering an LEM I would purchase a V1 and an LEM kit separately. my primary carry is an M9A1 or 92A1. on some occasions I'll switch to a Sig P220. Despite enjoying the HK pistols I cannot much comment on their carry-ability. thankfully JMCK is now offering USP holsters so in the highly unlikely event that I fall out of love with the 92 I might go that route.
    Last edited by Squib308; 11-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.

My only USP experience is with the Compact model in .40. I find the recoil unpleasant.
    David S.

BLUF: For purely games, the shooting dynamics of the fullsize USP 9 just didn't do it for me. It seemed like it was shooting in slow motion with a lot of flip relative to a G34.

My first foray into HK was the P30L with light LEM. End of the day, that version of the LEM was too slow for C shooter like me. This was before the TLG 4.1 and I wonder how that trigger system, or others would have changed my opinion. It was reliable and a tack driver.

BUT - I still have this idea in my head that LEM is awesome...

Fast forward a few years and I decide to sell a few Glocks and get 1 pistol to rule them all: USP 9 Tactical. I converted it Match Hybrid LEM. That trigger is fantastic. But like I say above, shooting it fast was a chore and I just couldn't make it work.

I am back to a G34 for the games. And will dip my toes in the 2011 world shortly. I am tempted by the HK45C but want to stick with 9mm.

I could never get as solid a grip on my P2000 as I could virtually any other gun.

If I were doing HKs again, it'd be a USP Compact for the blocky, effective grip.

My dream gun would be a USP Compact featuring a P2000 slide, universal rail and the trigger of a Beretta 92. One can dream.

FWIW, if you don't like the standard mag release on the P2000 and USP Compact, you can switch it for the HK45c mag release. Very noticeable upgrade, great bang for the buck.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-17-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List